PDA

View Full Version : Eggs laid white???

Mostafa
03-18-2009, 05:45 PM
My RT pair just mated and most of the eggs are amber color yet some were laid white.Is that fungus,does it start that early or is it just defective eggs?
Mostafa

Chad Hughes
03-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Mostafa,

Those eggs are not fertilized. If this pair is young and just starting to lay eggs, it's likely that your first few spawns may be infertile. You'll have to be patient.

Best wishes!

Mostafa
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Which are the infertile the amber or the white ones?
Mostafa

Chad Hughes
03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
The white ones.

Mostafa
03-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Chad
I'd be really happy if only the white ones are infertile(12 in the whole batch) but shouldn't they be turning white like tomorrow may be. Not come out of mum white?
Mostafa

DiscusDude85
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Have you checked your waters hardness? If not you probably should test it with a tds meter, Available at any "real" fish store. I used to use straigt r\o water than i'd bring the tds up to170 with kent marine r\o right. My discus would lay eggs all the time with great hatch rates. Now ive stopped using r\o and went straight tap water my tds is about 300, They still lay eggs all the time but hatch rates have gone down alot. Maybe this is part of your problem? Let us know how it all works out.

Joe

mmorris
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I have no idea why the eggs were laid already white. If they are not fertilized for whatever reason, they still start out amber. They are probably defective, but who knows what they might turn out to be!

Mostafa
03-20-2009, 12:56 PM
They ate them while i was away,may be they were all infertile:(

judy
03-20-2009, 04:48 PM
TDS and hardness are two different things. TDS stands for total dissolved solids. Hardness is Kh-- carbonate hardness, which is tied to Ph, the acidity level of the water. Lower Ph and low Kh go hand in hand, and that softer water-- Ph below 7.0, ideally between 6.5 and 6.8, and Kh from 4 to 6, (but no lower than 4 or you'll likely get a Ph crash, which means the water chemistry destabilizes and your Ph and Kh both plummet very fast, killing your fish) is what you want for successful egg hatches. TDS has nothing to do with it.