PDA

View Full Version : songe filter question

BootDink
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
does anyone elses sponge filter make a bubbly noise when its running? like even when the tank is completely topped off you can still hear the bubbles from the sponge bubbling lol and i also bought a very large air pump and it has an adjustable valve to raise air pressure and my question is should i havei it as high as it goes? sorry im new to sponges..only thing is when its up as high as it goes you can REALLY hear the bubbling and its kind of a nuisance

sorry for the rambling but i had to ask

thanks

judy
03-18-2009, 07:44 PM
a sponge filter that's submerged in the tank should not be making bubbling noises. Lower the air pressure. Sponge filters are more efficient and effective when water moves through them slowly, not quickly.

BootDink
03-18-2009, 08:12 PM
its not that its the sponge itself making the noise but you hear the bubbles comg out of the top of it plain as day when standing in the room, even 5 feet away from the tank... like you said though lowering the output pressure from the pump gradually takes the noise of the bubbling away but will it still work properly?

thanks

Eddie
03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
does anyone elses sponge filter make a bubbly noise when its running? like even when the tank is completely topped off you can still hear the bubbles from the sponge bubbling lol and i also bought a very large air pump and it has an adjustable valve to raise air pressure and my question is should i havei it as high as it goes? sorry im new to sponges..only thing is when its up as high as it goes you can REALLY hear the bubbling and its kind of a nuisance

sorry for the rambling but i had to ask

thanks

Something else you can do is take the sponge apart and route the airline through the top and connect a small airstone or bubble diffuser. Then put everything back together so that the airstone is inside the center portion of the sponge filter. It looks nicer and reduces the noise.

Eddie

BootDink
03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
will the noise effect the fish at all? i turned the pump down to the point where u can hear it faintly but still pass lots of bubbles out of the top..im hoping the sponge will still work properly which i assume it wil..may have to try your idea basshead but wil come at a later day.. Ive been in the tank to much within the lday hooking the new filters and airstond up as the canister
went on me last night

Eddie
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
will the noise effect the fish at all? i turned the pump down to the point where u can hear it faintly but still pass lots of bubbles out of the top..im hoping the sponge will still work properly which i assume it wil..may have to try your idea basshead but wil come at a later day.. Ive been in the tank to much within the lday hooking the new filters and airstond up as the canister
went on me last night

The bubbles don't affect the fish at all. To be honest, I have several sponge filters that are going totally BANANAS with air, full blast and the bubbles are huge and loud. The bio filtration is still effective and the fish don't care at all. It's fine BD, really.

Eddie

seanyuki
03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Try adding a air diffuser much less noise & bubbles.:D

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/th_DSCF0459.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/?action=view&current=DSCF0459.jpg)

Cheers
Francis :)

went on me last night

Eddie
03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
LOL, Francis, check out post #4. You got me with the picture though. I was thinking that a picture would have been great to help explain what I was talking about.

Take care,

Eddie

seanyuki
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
:p:p:p

Cheers
Francis:)

LOL, Francis, check out post #4. You got me with the picture though. I was thinking that a picture would have been great to help explain what I was talking about.

Take care,

Eddie