PDA

View Full Version : They Go Bananas for This Flake

poconogal
03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Sometime last year I think it was, Ocean Nutrition came out with a Discus Flake. It has garlic and spirulina and other delicious (I imagine, at least to Discus) things. I decided to try it with mine. I fed it to them yesterday for the first time. They went absolutely crazy for it, no sampling and spitting out, no trying to get them used to a new food over time, and even the pickier ones gobbled it up. I would say that mine liked it even better than ONF1 flakes and they love them too.

thebigone
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Where did you find this flake? Nobody around here carries it. Do you know of a website or something?

MSD
03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Any major online fish store has it: Doc Foster and Smith, That fish place, etal.

poconogal
03-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I got mine here:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsCA/ctl3684/cp25394/si3890306/cl0/oceannutritiondiscusformulaflake12oz

rickztahone
03-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I got mine here:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsCA/ctl3684/cp25394/si3890306/cl0/oceannutritiondiscusformulaflake12oz

yeah i'm on my second container of that, they do go crazy over it. the numbers are close to the prime reef as well which is a plus. all ON flakes are great IMO

kaceyo
03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
IME all of the Ocean Nutrition flakes are some of the most palatable to our fishes. I have yet to run accross one the fish didn't eat first feeding.

Kacey

Diamond Discus
03-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks Connie!!

ShinShin
03-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Connie,

Where've you been, girl!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66818

Mat

poconogal
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
LOL Larry - apparently I've been under a under a rock (along with some other people, I guess :D)! I never saw that thread! But I remember talking about these flakes with you and you reminded me of the name, which I couldn't remember! :D So I finally got around to ordering them. Money well spent.

Edit: Now I remember I did see that thread which is why I asked about the name of the food! What can I say -- guess I'm getting senile!

poconogal
03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Connie!!
You're very welcome, Sue! :p

Eddie
03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Connie,

Where've you been, girl!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66818

Mat

LOL Mat, Connie must have missed that one!

I've used it also but find my fish don't mess around when it comes to Prime Reef. ;)

Eddie

poconogal
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes Eddie, I missed it! But then again, I missed a lot last year due to an extremely demanding, exhausting job. No time for computer, for SD, even for WCs. It was a struggle! Luckily I became unemployed in January... :D I mean, there are priorities, right -- the Discus -- LOL!!!!

Edit: It's my senility at work, Eddie, I did see it then forgot I saw it!

Eddie
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Yes Eddie, I missed it! But then again, I missed a lot last year due to an extremely demanding, exhausting job. No time for computer, for SD, even for WCs. It was a struggle! Luckily I became unemployed in January... :D I mean, there are priorities, right -- the Discus -- LOL!!!!

For sure! Unemployed? By choice or what Connie, sorry to hear if not by choice.

Eddie

freestylez_14
03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
hmmm,, because of these facts of this food i will buy it!!!!!

-A delicious daily diet specially formulated to enhance coloration, health and growth of all strains of Discus

-High levels of protein and vitamins stimulate balanced growth and breeding. ;)

Currently, my 2 inch juvies go nuts on Prime Reef. I will give Discus flakes a try.
Prime Reef is the only food i feed them! :D

poconogal
03-20-2009, 08:09 AM
For sure! Unemployed? By choice or what Connie, sorry to hear if not by choice.

Eddie

No, not by choice. Well, at least not my choice! :D

poconogal
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM
hmmm,, because of these facts of this food i will buy it!!!!!

-A delicious daily diet specially formulated to enhance coloration, health and growth of all strains of Discus

-High levels of protein and vitamins stimulate balanced growth and breeding. ;)

Currently, my 2 inch juvies go nuts on Prime Reef. I will give Discus flakes a try.
Prime Reef is the only food i feed them! :D
I'm sure they'll love it and its much better for them health wise and growth wise to feed a variety of foods.

freestylez_14
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Iam starting to try and feed them other ON products too and NLS product. But i want to keep using just Prime Reef to see how well they grow. I used to feed my fish just Tetrabits, they grew to 5-6 inches in a year. I stopped feeding bloodworms or else it's the only thing they'll eat.

Eddie
03-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Iam starting to try and feed them other ON products too and NLS product. But i want to keep using just Prime Reef to see how well they grow. I used to feed my fish just Tetrabits, they grew to 5-6 inches in a year. I stopped feeding bloodworms or else it's the only thing they'll eat.

Sounds like a recipe for great growth and development. One day I want to test a group of youngins on pure flake and nothing else. Prime Reef will be the flake I am gonna use. I know, all the old heads are gonna say a variety is best but thats why I want to test it. ;) We can't always live in a box.

Eddie

poconogal
03-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Before I fed them the ON Discus Flake, Tetra Bits was their all time, absolute favorite food. They love love love those bits! :)

poconogal
03-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a recipe for great growth and development. One day I want to test a group of youngins on pure flake and nothing else. Prime Reef will be the flake I am gonna use. I know, all the old heads are gonna say a variety is best but thats why I want to test it. ;) We can't always live in a box.

Eddie
I like it in my box! LOL!!! Seriously, I remember reading that Jack Watley did a test feeding juvies strictly bananas. He said they grew very well but after a time they developed nutritionl deficiency issues I believe. I read it in his column in TFH. That's what gave me the idea to feed bananas along with other foods. Some of my Discus go nuts for banana too.

freestylez_14
03-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Eddie, in your opinion, if i just feed my fry just Prime Reef what is the growing rate is like? I assume you have had success with the food. thanks

rickztahone
03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Eddie, in your opinion, if i just feed my fry just Prime Reef what is the growing rate is like? I assume you have had success with the food. thanks

Eddie feeds a mix of his "mix" and prime reef flakes. i believe he was insinuating that he will "try and experiment" to just do the flakes down the line. correct me if i'm wrong here Eddie

MSD
03-21-2009, 04:15 PM
No easy in discus, you should feed multiple foods, but as a wise man once said (Cary Strong), you can grow them out on tetra bits, or beefheart, or good flakes and pellets. Search his name here and read some of his posts, they always stirred it up years ago. He is a clever breeder whos been there and done that.

freestylez_14
03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
No easy in discus, you should feed multiple foods, but as a wise man once said (Cary Strong), you can grow them out on tetra bits, or beefheart, ot good flake. Search his name hear and read some of his posts, they always stirred it up years ago. He is a clever breeder whos been there and done that.

I have fed just Tetrabits to my fish and i had good results. They grew well. Now i want to try "just flakes".

Eddie
03-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Eddie feeds a mix of his "mix" and prime reef flakes. i believe he was insinuating that he will "try and experiment" to just do the flakes down the line. correct me if i'm wrong here Eddie

Ricardo is correct, I will try using pure flake. Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef and nothing else. This will be done the road with babies, when I do have some. ;)

Yeah Mark, Cary might have had some results but if we relied on one persons theories or results, we'd all be stuck living the movie "The Village".

Eddie

MSD
03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Which was another lousy M. Knight movie to boot! I was not advocating it, just saying it could be done but a varied diet is best. Least thats what I thought my post was saying. :D

seanyuki
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Connie,

My favourite fruit is banana....could I throw in a chunk of banana while I am eating it.....my discus never eat fruits before cos I don't want to waste my banana:)....any thoughts?

Cheers
Francis:)

poconogal
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Hahahahahaha :D:D:D Francis, I don't blame you. I NEVER want to share my banana either! What I did was cut a small slice of banana into small bits and feed them. Try it and see if they eat it, some of mine went crazy for banana and the clown loach loved it too!

seanyuki
03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Connie,

Will give them my treat tonite as desert(banana).....will post results tomorrow.....just started my vacation.....a lot of work for the fish room.

Cheers
Francis:)

Hahahahahaha :D:D:D Francis, I don't blame you. I NEVER want to share my banana either! What I did was cut a small slice of banana into small bits and feed them. Try it and see if they eat it, some of mine went crazy for banana and the clown loach loved it too!

Eddie
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
I use banana in my seafood mix, it's one of the key ingredients. ;)

Richy44
03-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Sorry for interrupting the flow but in Connies thread and link to Dr Fosters the pic shows Ocean nutrition discus flakes and the text says "New Life Spectrum" Discus Formula is a color enhancing, hormone free formula.

It is in fact Ocean Nutrition flakes correct? I don't do NLS products

Thanks

poconogal
03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi don't know why the text says NLS but the container I bought says ON. The link to the product on Big Al's site (not Drs. Foster/Smith) shows the container of food and its says ON. Guess Big Al's made a boo boo! :D

Darrell Ward
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for "the heads up" Connie. I just ordered a jar on ebay to try, because the shipping was only $3 and some change, as opposed to $8 and something from Big Al's. My discus are so spoiled by frozen foods, that they hardly eat dry foods anymore. They do eat Hikari Discus Bio Gold, so I'm hoping they will eat this as well. :)

poconogal
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
You're welcome Darrell. Hope your Discus like it! Now I'm mad, I didn't even think of trying Ebay. Oh well, next time.