PDA

View Full Version : Successful Fry in a Community Tank?

aquagal
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I have about 25 wigglers that are surviving in my 55gal community tank. Their parents are doinga great job looking after them and I suspect they will be free swimming soon. Has anyone had success with fry actually surviving in this situation? The pair have laid several batches of eggs, but this is the first one that actually hatched.

Also, the wigglers current are "attached" to my [black] sponge filter. The parents are a red melon and white butterfly. I'm concerned they won't swim over to their parents?

Thanks.
Sherry

jelandusn
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I am by no means an expert at all. But I did have a pair, lay eggs in a tank with other fish. I think it depends on what kinds of fish you have, but, more than likely, they will be eaten. I had a pair in a 100 gallon tank with other small fish. The pair kept the small fish on one half of the tank and the small fish still picked off free swimmers whenever they felt the need to snack. I'm talking about little barbs and tetras, so anything bigger will definitely enjoy the snack. The first day or so the babies aren't attached to the parents. That's when they are easily eaten. You might get lucky and have some live, but starting off with a small number means the survivors might not be enough to keep the parents interested in raising them.

Runningfish
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Also, the wigglers current are "attached" to my [black] sponge filter. The parents are a red melon and white butterfly. I'm concerned they won't swim over to their parents?
Thanks.
Sherry

What do mean attached to your sponge filter? Did the parents put them there? Mine seem to be cleaning the cone and cleaning a side of the sponge too. Maybe they want the constant flow of water over the eggs/wigglers so they can take a rest.

Elite Aquaria
03-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I have breed several batches in a 40 breeder...this is about 50 gallons of water. The key is that the tank is a BB tank and lower the water to just above the top of the dorsal fin. Some will get lost but some will make it if the pair is a good pair with parental instinct. Your next step would be to move them to a breeder tank now that you know that you have a fertile pair.

aquagal
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably move the pair to a separate tank, I wasn't really willing to do it until I knew they were a fertile pair. The wigglers are still wiggling (not sure how many days to free swimming). They all are hanging out on the sponge filter. Not sure whether they will ever swim over to their parents because both parents are so light in color? We'll see what happens, but it is fun to watch!

MostlyDiscus
03-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi Aquagal,

If you can lower the air flow on the spongefilter. You should check out jonboy's post on his tank in Leesburg. Monster tank or something like that in another section. He has a few babies that made it in his 220 gallon tank. Good luck on you fry and congratulations on the wigglers.

Ed

judy
03-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I've got the same "problem." My spawning and grow out tanks are occupied with two baby batches, and the pigeon blood pair spawned in the main tank. The wigglers are a couple days old, right near the sponge filter (which is low flow, so I'm hoping...), freeswimmnig any minute, I would guess, and I can't beleive they're still around. the parents are doing a great job keeping everybnody at the otehr end of the tank. I'll both delighted and surprised if any survive.

aquagal
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Judy--

What you describe in your tank is exactly what I'm seeing. I had not thought of lowering the flow of the sponge filter, but it does not seem to be a problem. The parents are on one side of the tank (guarding) and all the other fish stay on the other side. I also am truly amazed they have lasted this long. I'm hoping some make it?

Sherry

jelandusn
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Keep us updated. I'm also interested to see if any make it. With mine, the parents did a great job keeping everyone away, but once the babies were free swimming, they would wander out of the safe zone and get gobbled up. The babies didn't stay close to the parents at first and there were just too many for the parents to keep together. They did go around and suck up as many strays as possible, but there were always a lot of strays and a lot got eaten. I eventually ended up taking all of the other fish out and letting them have the 100 gallon tank to themselves. I think if I had bigger fish in there, none would have made it. What kinds of fish do you have?

aquagal
03-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Sadly, all wigglers are now gone. Don't think they ever were free swimming, they stayed mostly attached to the sponge filter. But maybe they started swimming away while I was at work and got gobbled up? It was cool to watch, my young dauthers loved it.

I might let them practice a few more times in the tank they're in before I move them in to their own tank.

Elite Aquaria
03-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry you lost them but that is OK. Now you have an excuse to buy another tank for breeding...:D I agree it is fun to watch my 5 year old loves it also.

judy
03-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I still have some wigglers... fewer than yesterday, but the parents are still investing the effort in protecting them. By tomorrow, I'm thinking they will be gone...

Elite Aquaria
03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
That is a good sign that the parents are trying to tend to them....looks like you have a good pair. Once you move them expect the first or second spawn to not work out since the pair will be getting used to the new environment. Also it will take a while for you to get your water stable like the big tank. So if they eat some of the eggs or wigglers at first it will be expected. Just be patient.

judy
03-21-2009, 01:59 PM
yeah, I think these two are going to turn out to be the best parents of the three pairs I have. The other two pairs, I have to remove the females as the eggs start to become wigglers, because they start eating them. the dads end up raising the fry.
This pair, I think both parents will be staying together to raise babies. Now, if the batch of red turquoise would just get big enough t sell, I could clear out the 33 gallon and put this pair in, and just let them do their thing...

MostlyDiscus
03-21-2009, 04:58 PM
IMO just getting the eggs to wigglers is no easy task. Its says your water is really good and the feeding has been good as well. I do agree with Dan :D. Some pairs are better parents than others and others sometimes just need more practice. By lowing the air flow on the sponge filter it wont pull the wigglers down as much and cause them to expend energy. When it is time for them to free swim they have more energy to break free of the filter and the parents continually spitting them back on to the sponge. Great Job either way. Take notes have fun.

aquagal
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice/input!! I really appreciate it!
Sherry

judy
03-22-2009, 02:14 PM
the last of the wigglers wandered off into the foliage this morning and the parents couldn't round them up (but they tried! which is great.). They're gone, I'm guessing.