PDA

View Full Version : Air stones in 90G heavily planted tank?

ilaizm
03-20-2009, 06:24 AM
I am building a 90G tank. I'm planning to go for a heavily planted tank with a pressurized CO2 system and necessary light requirements. I will be having some water movement at the surface thanks to the output of the filters which will be a spraybar all the way at the back of the tank. In this setup can I completely go without air stones?

Mr Wild
03-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Well I never go without air bubbling, personal choice but if the filter ever drops off the perch while your at work at least they have air! Of course if its a complete power failure I have to get the battery operated one out. But its better to be safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents worth. Kath

KDodds
03-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Airstones, which will help to outgas CO2, are kind of counter-productive with a pressurized CO2 system. Although, some do use airstones at night, when plants are respiring (taking up O2, releasing CO2) as opposed to photosynthesizing.

Chad Hughes
03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't use air stones in planted tanks. I tried it a few weeks back based on some experience on others here on the site and it just made me use more CO2 and didn't have an affect on the fish. I wuldn't waste my time with any kind of air unless you are running sponge filters.

Best Wishes!

blkrob
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I have a heavily planted tank. I now use an airstone at night on a timer. During a co2 solenoid mishap I lost 90% of the tank. This almost made me quit! I lost 8 adult discus and numerous other causalities. Even the shrimp. My wife cried for me.:o The whole stories in thread lessons learned or something like that.

I use one now. Not only for o2, but now I can sleep at night. I've also seen my fish gasping for o2 in the morning before. I do see a p.h. increase over night, but this is not an issue. It never bothers the fish. The co2 starts in the a.m. with a gradual rise. I was growing glosso and some other red plants. Not sure if this helps you. I can tell you in my case I need that airstone.

Good luck
Robert

rbarn
03-20-2009, 12:11 PM
It seems like the answer to me is ........

If running only canister filter, then one at night is a good idea
to help vent off excess Co2 coming from the plants with the lights off.

If running overflow with trickle wet/dry filter, i think it's constant
aeration of the water as it trickles down over the bio-material does the job
and no air stone is needed.

ilaizm
03-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Then I guess I should switch on an airstone at night just in case. Would you suggest using one or two air stones switched on at night?

Mr Wild
03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
What is the shape of your tank? Standard rectangle? I would place at a 1/3 then 2/3.

ilaizm
03-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Yep standard rectangle. Ok thanks!

nickmcmechan
03-21-2009, 03:23 AM
its not absolutely necessary

the output of your spraybar must be positioned such that there is some surface ripple

i would also use a drop checker with 4 dKh solution, if its light green in the morning then the plants are gassing off too much co2

also, get a solenoid so the presurrised co2 is not running 24/7, a lot of folks will run it 1 hour before lights on and off

however, there is no harm in running the airstone if you want to be extra careful...stocking levels come in to this as well