PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, Problems Already

poconogal
03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
So today is the day I get my two new Discus, one 7 inch MR and one 6 inch WB. :bounce: They are being delivered to a FedEx Kinkos in New Jersey where I'll pick them up, since I've always had problems with FedEx overnight delivering to my door. This morning I went down to check the QT to make sure all was still well, and I find that the heater quit on me! :mad: So now I have 74 degree water waiting for my new Discus... actually in a few minutes I'll do a 50% WC with hot water to bring the temp up. I already went shopping at Connie's Fish Supply Store in my basement and came up with a brand new in the package 250W Stealth heater to replace the hardly used Stealth heater that quit on me. This is exactly why I switched to an inline heater that has been perfect for 2-1/2 years so far. I also took the opportunity to remind my husband again why I keep all sorts of extras around that I've amassed over the years! Now I hope this new heater works!

FLGirl1977
03-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Good thing you went shopping in CFS Basement store! lol! ;) Hey, better now than when getting them in there! Congrats on the new guys (soon)! Be sure to post pics when you get them in there! :) TTYS..

poconogal
03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll try to post pics, but my little over a year old Canon Powershot died on me too.... hmmmm.... actually it died on me around August of last year but I kept forgetting to bring it to the camera store and then the warranty expired in October, so now I have a paperweight. :( If I can get shots with my camera phone, I can post pics... we shall see...

Chad Hughes
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Nest time pick up some Ebo Jager heaters from Kens Fish (www.kensfish.com). He's got great prices on these heaters. The oldest one that I have is 7 years old. It still works great!

Best wishes!

poconogal
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Chad, the worst heater I ever had was an Ebo Jager, the greenie, from back in 1993. LOL!!! So far, aside from my Hydor Inline, the best heater I've had was a stick heater by Rena, the basic one, that I paid $5 for! Actually, seems that there's always problems with heaters - in all the years I've been in the hobby, that's always the complaint, crappy heaters! That's why I started using controllers with my stick heaters. Recently I thought one my controllers was bad, it was hooked up to the heater that died on me. Now I realize its was probably the heater and it was only the controller that kept it going. But maybe I will try these new Jagers...

Chad Hughes
03-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I don't use the green ones. The newer glass ones work best! I've always had bad luck with cheap heaters. They last about amonth if that.

poconogal
03-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Woo hoo, FedEx just called... they have my fish and I can pick up anytime! I'm outta here...

seanyuki
03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Conne,

You better hurry up & go to Connie's Camera Supply Store down in the basement :p......hope to see pics of the Red Marlboro Red & White Butterfly.

Cheers
Francis:)

rickztahone
03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
good thing you had a backup Connie. i love my in-line heater as well, although there is another heater in the tank. i plan on getting another one on ebay soon. good luck with the new arrivals, camera phones are better than nothing

poconogal
03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Good thing you went shopping in CFS Basement store! lol! ;) Hey, better now than when getting them in there! Congrats on the new guys (soon)! Be sure to post pics when you get them in there! :) TTYS..
That's for sure, Renee, better than when they're in there! LOL that's funny, CFS Basement store!

Hi Conne,

You better hurry up & go to Connie's Camera Supply Store down in the basement :p......hope to see pics of the Red Marlboro Red & White Butterfly.

Cheers
LOL Francis I like that one, but there's no camera store in the basement. There's everything else though, furniture store, guitar store, etc. :D

good thing you had a backup Connie. i love my in-line heater as well, although there is another heater in the tank. i plan on getting another one on ebay soon. good luck with the new arrivals, camera phones are better than nothing
Rick, I have backups for the backups! I have a backup Hydor inline too, which I bought on EBAY when I first hooked mine up and saw how well it worked.

poconogal
03-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I am happy to report that, miracle of miracles, the new Stealth heater is actually keeping the temp steady. This is truly a miracle for me, a stick heater that seems to be working right!

Eddie
03-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey Connie, I'm still going strong with my Eheim Jagers! A little concern here and there but they have never failed or overheated. They are still in my book as first choice! Been 5 years for about 5 of them, fully submersed and not one leak. ;)

Eddie

Ed13
03-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm so thankful that I don't need heaters! I'd be checking on them every minute. I've used the Renas before but...

seanyuki
03-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I find the Jagers heaters too long and makes the tank looks smaller....I want to try out the Rena Smart heaters nice & short.....need to order them online....I like the Stealth heaters but no light indicator that's con part of that product.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/Renaheaters.jpg

Cheers

Wahter
03-20-2009, 11:50 PM
I'll try to post pics, but my little over a year old Canon Powershot died on me too.... hmmmm.... actually it died on me around August of last year but I kept forgetting to bring it to the camera store and then the warranty expired in October, so now I have a paperweight. :( If I can get shots with my camera phone, I can post pics... we shall see...

You should be able to go to Canon's website and find the information to send it in for servicing - since it's out of warranty, there will be a fee, but it beats using it as a paperweight:

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct

I recently sent in a lens that I accidentally dropped and I'm waiting to see if it will be less money to repair or replace.

Walter

TankWatcher
03-20-2009, 11:56 PM
seanyuki, I've seen those in LFS. How do you find them? Can you clean inside them (like you need to do occasionally with any standard intake pipe. Wondered how they'd go in a discus tank with beefheart scraps being sucked up?

rickztahone
03-21-2009, 12:02 AM
seanyuki, I've seen those in LFS. How do you find them? Can you clean inside them (like you need to do occasionally with any standard intake pipe. Wondered how they'd go in a discus tank with beefheart scraps being sucked up?

that's was also one of my concerns since i feed heavily and i have pre-filters that catch all the big chunks of stuff. i would imagine you can't put a pre-filter on the rena one. that's why i want to go with another hydor

nickmcmechan
03-21-2009, 04:11 AM
I find the Jagers heaters too long and makes the tank looks smaller....I want to try out the Rena Smart heaters nice & short.....need to order them online....I like the Stealth heaters but no light indicator that's con part of that product.

Cheers

I have the Rena - I like it - it works well attached to the filter intake but the only attachment available is for Fluval filters; however it jst wrapped string around my Hydor intake.

It really beefs out the heat and can easily get my tank to high temps quickly. I have a 150W in a 180l.

I just bought a Fluval Tronic which I like as it automatically switches off when the water level drops

poconogal
03-21-2009, 07:27 AM
You should be able to go to Canon's website and find the information to send it in for servicing - since it's out of warranty, there will be a fee, but it beats using it as a paperweight:

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct

I recently sent in a lens that I accidentally dropped and I'm waiting to see if it will be less money to repair or replace.

Walter
Thanks Walter, that's a good idea, I will try that.

poconogal
03-21-2009, 07:31 AM
that's was also one of my concerns since i feed heavily and i have pre-filters that catch all the big chunks of stuff. i would imagine you can't put a pre-filter on the rena one. that's why i want to go with another hydor

That would be my concern too, and cleaning inside. I even wonder about the inside of my Hydor inline, too but so far, no problems. I think I read it can be cleaned, not sure, and it would have to be removed from the hose. Don't think I want to bother with that.

Maybe the Rena would be good to use for QT or hospital tank though. I might try it.

poconogal
03-21-2009, 07:35 AM

Cheers

Hi Francis - I agree, the lack of a light on the Stealth is ridiculous! I always used mine with a controller which had a light showing when it was heating, so it wasn't a problem, but not I'm not using the controller in QT and its annoying! I was thinking of trying that Rena Smart heater too, I heard they work well.

seanyuki
03-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I do not have Rena cannister filter....thinking of only using Rena Smart heater inside the tank....nice & short....browsing online to see where I could find a good deal.

Cheers

rickztahone
03-21-2009, 12:40 PM
That would be my concern too, and cleaning inside. I even wonder about the inside of my Hydor inline, too but so far, no problems. I think I read it can be cleaned, not sure, and it would have to be removed from the hose. Don't think I want to bother with that.

Maybe the Rena would be good to use for QT or hospital tank though. I might try it.

just thinking of disconnecting the hoses and cleaning the hydor makes me lazy to x-degree, lol

poconogal
03-21-2009, 12:50 PM
just thinking of disconnecting the hoses and cleaning the hydor makes me lazy to x-degree, lol
Rick, me too, me too! Not going that route! :D