PDA

View Full Version : Bringing discus to US from other Country

jczz1232
03-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Sorry didn't know where to post this. Does anyone happen to know anything about this, do I need paper work for this. Hmm, I'm go to China soon and HK soon was wondering if I can bring back some discus with me. I have heard if its not for resell is fine but not sure what I need or have to do.

Thanks
JC

SriAngel
03-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Hey John,

If you plan on brining back more than 7 fish you need an import licence from U.S. Wildlife & Fish. I had to get one recently to bring my fish back from Canada. If youre going to Honk Kong go visit the man himself, WAYNE NG!

Angel

Call me if you have any more questions.

jczz1232
03-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks Angel, hmm so less then 7 I can take them on the plane with me right? Well with my luggage. As cargo? I will you you before I go.

SriAngel
03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks Angel, hmm so less then 7 I can take them on the plane with me right? Well with my luggage. As cargo? I will you you before I go.

Thats the general rule, i recommend you call a U.S. Wildlife Rep before you leave.

Elite Aquaria
03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
I would call the airlines that you plan on using...Some Airlines will not allow fish to be transported.

I remember back in 89 a few friends of mine and I went to a Guppy show. We had no clue that this was an issue. On the return flight my friend was told that he could not take his fish in the cooler he had...Southwest Airlines

He went into the restroom and put the fish into a nylon bag and stored them in the overhead compartment. About 45 minutes into the I noticed water leaking from the overhead...the flight attendant got really upset with him and asked him to remove them from the overhead. Thank God I was not sitting next to him on that flight. The fish made it ok he just went to the restroom and re-bagged the leaky bag.

dishpanhands
03-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Don't think you will make it. They are not allowing carry on liquids. Not sure if live fish falls in there but.....

KDodds
03-24-2009, 08:27 AM
You need to check with the airline and customs in the originating country, any country where any transfer will be taking place, and in the destination country. It would be easier to just see what the export rules are i the originating country and what the import rules are in the destination country and ship them to yourself, overnight, to the same airport you'll be arriving in. You can pick up from cargo after you've gone through arrivals and customs. ;)

Graham
03-24-2009, 10:38 AM
You'll have problems shipping via an airline as cargo as you need to be a ''known shipper'' with that particular airline. You could use a broker but that costs $$

Before 9/11 it wasn't a problem shipping fish as a peice of luggage

Elite Aquaria
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
It would be easier to just see what the export rules are i the originating country and what the import rules are in the destination country and ship them to yourself, overnight, to the same airport you'll be arriving in. ;)

The cost to do that would be very high...

KDodds
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Yes it would, but it's the easiest way. If I were dead set on doing it, that's what I'd do, and bring in extras to compensate for the cost of shipping, but only if I could find interested potential buyers beforehand. We actually looked into this, my wife and I, while we were looking for temperate seahorses (would be coming in from Australia), and it's definitely the easiest way. It's been a while, but I think the shipping was going to run $1200, but the resale would have turned us a nice profit. The thing is, you need the holding space. Unfortunately, the seahorse breeders in Australia's stock completely dried up sooon after the restrictions on collecting went into place.