PDA

View Full Version : Ph controller, drop checker

Patr1ck
03-25-2009, 06:06 AM
If I'am going to do co2 do I need a ph monitor/controller or does a drop checker suffice? Would I turn off the co2 when lights go out?

Thanks,
Pat

KDodds
03-25-2009, 07:35 AM
A pH controller is always a good idea when using CO2 be it in a planted tank or reef tank. What the controller will do is shut off the CO2 if the pH drops too low. With this in place and set up and functioning properly, there's no reason to turn your CO2 on or off.

Patr1ck
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
A pH controller is always a good idea when using CO2 be it in a planted tank or reef tank. What the controller will do is shut off the CO2 if the pH drops too low. With this in place and set up and functioning properly, there's no reason to turn your CO2 on or off.

I read that the electrodes need changed every 3 mos. Is that true? If so that would get expensive.

Pat

tacks
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi I have PH controller and a drop checker, nothing wrong with having both. I do have my co2 on a timer it goes off a 1/2 hr. before my lights go out andcomes on a 1/2 hr. before the lights come on. There are 2 schools of thought about co2 on oroff at night. HTH Ed

KDodds
03-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I haven't experienced the need to change my electrodes yet. Recalibrate, yes, just to be safe, but change, not yet.

Chad Hughes
03-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I read that the electrodes need changed every 3 mos. Is that true? If so that would get expensive.

Pat

No, not true. I have probes that I've used for nearly 2 years. They haven't needed calibration or anything and still control Ph very accurately.

Best wishes!

calihawker
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Total agreement with Kdodds and avionics. Calibration yes, replacement no.

Mine is setup like tacks, controller on a timer. My c02 comes on with a very high bubble count to get the c02 up quickly, then the controller is set to the low ph threshold to where I want the levels to be.

Good distribution and flow is key to c02 success.

Also don't believe the drop checker absolutely. It's a great tool to get you close but ultimately, observation is your best tool;)

Steve

calihawker
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Pat, after reading the thread again I realized your original question was never really answered.

Do you need a controller at all? No. You can easily use a bubble counter, just set it and forget it, throw a drop checker (or 2) in there and you're good to go. Just remember the drop checker is nothing more than a good point of reference.

Do you need to turn the c02 off at night?. No. But you don't need it at night and in a big tank, like mine I go through ALOT of c02.

Good luck!!

Steve

Patr1ck
03-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Pat, after reading the thread again I realized your original question was never really answered.

Do you need a controller at all? No. You can easily use a bubble counter, just set it and forget it, throw a drop checker (or 2) in there and you're good to go. Just remember the drop checker is nothing more than a good point of reference.

Do you need to turn the c02 off at night?. No. But you don't need it at night and in a big tank, like mine I go through ALOT of c02.

Good luck!!

Steve

What exactly does a bubble counter indicate? I know it allows someone to count the amount of bubbles entering the tank but can it be used as an indicator of proper co2 levels?:confused:

Pat

Chad Hughes
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Pat,

You hit the nail on the head! It simply lets you count bubbles and see how fast CO2 is entering the tank.

Best wishes!

calihawker
03-26-2009, 11:24 AM
What exactly does a bubble counter indicate? I know it allows someone to count the amount of bubbles entering the tank but can it be used as an indicator of proper co2 levels?:confused:

Pat

Not as an indicator, that's what the drop checker's for, but as a means of regulating how much c02 is delivered to replace what's being absorbed by plants and lost to gas exchange.

If you want to research c02 methodologies in depth, go over to plantedtank.net I know from experience that every question you (and I) have has already been asked and answered multiple times. Really great reading.

Steve