PDA

View Full Version : Filter Died

Palue
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Okay I am in a bit of a panic now, my Aqua Clear 200 HOB died last night leaving my discus with a AQ mini on the tank for the time being. I need to buy a filter today and don't have the options you all have so I am going to list what I am able to buy here and would appreciate all your thoughts.

Cannister:

Fluval 305
Filstar XP2
Marineland C-220

HOB:

Aqua Clear 110 (500)
Aqua Clear 70 (300)

Please help me with this and don't recommend any other brands as I cannot get other filters without ordering them in.

Thanks
:angel:

Yassmeena
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Okay I am in a bit of a panic now, my Aqua Clear 200 HOB died last night leaving my discus with a AQ mini on the tank for the time being. I need to buy a filter today and don't have the options you all have so I am going to list what I am able to buy here and would appreciate all your thoughts.

Cannister:

Fluval 305
Filstar XP2
Marineland C-220

HOB:

Aqua Clear 110 (500)
Aqua Clear 70 (300)

Please help me with this and don't recommend any other brands as I cannot get other filters without ordering them in.

Thanks

Hi -

Sound stressful indeed!

You did a large (90% if you can) water change ASAP right?

We need to know how many gallons you have?

I have the Fluval 304 and have no complaints! If you buy it, get some plain petrolium jelly to lubricate the black rubber ring around the top of the canister. You'll know what I mean when you see it. It makes sealing the filter easier.

Yassmeena
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Cannister:

Fluval 305
Filstar XP2
Marineland C-220

HOB:

Aqua Clear 110 (500)
Aqua Clear 70 (300)

Thanks

So in all earnestness, maybe you shouldn't wait to get feedback on this.

Just go get a filter. I haven't heard much about the other brands, but I hear great things about Aquaclear and Fluval. I have had both myself, and like them both equally.

Aquaclear is HOB, and is easier to clean out (not much easier though)
Fluval is less visible so maybe more visually appealing

Palue
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Okay, the tank is a 46 gal bowfront. I am on my way out the door to get the 305 Fluval the store has for me. If I have any troubles I will be on here for advice. Of the 4 stores we have here all recommend the Fluval.

Water change will be done when I get back home.

Thanks

Yassmeena
03-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Okay, the tank is a 46 gal bowfront. I am on my way out the door to get the 305 Fluval the store has for me. If I have any troubles I will be on here for advice. Of the 4 stores we have here all recommend the Fluval.

Water change will be done when I get back home.

Thanks

I would do the WC first. Especially since it's been since last night.

Buying and setting up the filter will take time (maybe a good two hours). Don't leave them without a WC for any longer if it's avoidable.

waters10
03-25-2009, 03:06 PM
More than anything, I think it's more important to save the bacteria medium. Put it in a bucket with tank water and keep it aerated. They should survive days if you do that. Then you use them on your new filter, so the transition is as smooth as possible.

Check your ammonia/nitrite levels and change water accordingly. I'd do a 50% minimum.

Palue
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Hello, well all is going very well. I did get the Fluval 305 wow what a difference from those HOB filters that is for sure. I did a water change, fish are fine and all is running smoothly.

Yassmeena
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Hello, well all is going very well. I did get the Fluval 305 wow what a difference from those HOB filters that is for sure. I did a water change, fish are fine and all is running smoothly.

Excellent!!!!! I love my Fluval. :)

DiscusKeeper403
03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a Fluval 405, and although people say they are junk, I have no complaints so far. So I would either go for the Fluval or Filstar. I hear Rena is a really good brand when it comes to canisters.

Either way get a canister. :D

Eddie
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your filter breakdown Debbie but glad you got it worked out. Monitor you ammonia/nitrites for any spikes. I'm not sure how frequently you do WCs but just stay on top of them and everything should level out.

All the best,

Eddie

1nvad3r
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
If you want a good filter get a Eheim Canister filter, just got to invest abit but well worth it. Im using a Eheim Pro2 2026 ,and my water is crystal clear on a 90g. You can also try the Classic series,the only difference are the auto priming for Pro2.

Palue
03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks all for the replies. The Fluval is doing a good job so far. So quiet I am not use to this. I keep looking to see if the water is moving..:D

The fish are just fine, I don't know how long the filter was out for. The oldest son went to bed at 1:30 am and I was up at 6:30 am so inbetween that time it went out.

Thats okay, don't tell hubby but I really wanted a new filter someday with this new tank......;);)

It was so hot when I took it off the tank, we could have had a fire I am sure. Oh well it does not owe me a thing as it was the same age as the old tank between 16-17 years old. I cannot say anything bad about the AQ HOB filters. Thank god I have 2 AQ minis hanging around...:D

I do have a question though, how often do you all clean your canister filters??

Would this be a complete empty and media clean or just the media one time and the canister the next.

Thanks all

1nvad3r
03-26-2009, 02:55 AM
I usually dump whats in the bottom of my Eheim every month and take some tank water to rinse the media.Takes me 10 mins to do it and i replace the foams every 6 months

Eddie
03-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks all for the replies. The Fluval is doing a good job so far. So quiet I am not use to this. I keep looking to see if the water is moving..:D

The fish are just fine, I don't know how long the filter was out for. The oldest son went to bed at 1:30 am and I was up at 6:30 am so inbetween that time it went out.

Thats okay, don't tell hubby but I really wanted a new filter someday with this new tank......;);)

It was so hot when I took it off the tank, we could have had a fire I am sure. Oh well it does not owe me a thing as it was the same age as the old tank between 16-17 years old. I cannot say anything bad about the AQ HOB filters. Thank god I have 2 AQ minis hanging around...:D

I do have a question though, how often do you all clean your canister filters??

Would this be a complete empty and media clean or just the media one time and the canister the next.

Thanks all

Honestly, with the way I feed my fish, once a week. You can usually gauge how often you will need to clean the filter by how dirty it becomes over time. Allowing alot of build up in the filter is not good at all for the fish. Kind of like filtering the water through pollution. So no matter how clean the water is going into the tank with water changes, it's just coming out dirty if the canister is loaded with junk.

Pre-filters helpout ALOT!

Eddie

Scribbles
03-26-2009, 06:17 AM
I rinse my fluval 305 canister and foam every 2 weeks in tank water. I usually have to replace 2 of the 4 foam pads once a month. I gently rinse the ceramic rings in tank water as needed.

Palue
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone....:D