PDA

View Full Version : Miminum grow out tank size

Tito
03-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a 125 Gallon with nine juvies that I'm growing out. However, it's getting a bit expensive doing 50% frequent WC for this tank.

What is the minimum tank size I can grow these to adults then they can go back in the show tank?

I figured if I use a smaller tank I could get away with daily water changes, bare bottom and feed like crazy! Makes sense to me. What would be the smallest size tank for grow out?

Chad Hughes
03-25-2009, 04:18 PM
The smallest that I have used is a 55. Something to think about though....

If you are doing daily 50% water changes on a 55 (7 water changes) and every other day 50% on a 125 (3 to 4 a week) you are changing nearly the same amount of water.

To compare, 50% on the 55 for 7 days is about 193 gallons of water. The 125with three 50% weekly water changes uses 188 gallons. See how close they are? You likely won't save too much water by going smaller.

Best wishes!

kaceyo
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Tito,
I use a 50gal for growouts mostly because it's the biggest I can put in my condo. I do two 50% wc's a day untill thaey are around 4" and then one 50% a day till full grown.
What size are your discus and how many are in the 125? If they are large enough, say 4" +/-, and a fair size group (around 8 to 12+) you can leave them where they are and just do 25% daily wc's. Having a big tank keeps the water quality from dropping as quickly so you can get away with fewer wc's.

Kacey

Tito
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Well they all range from 2.5 to 3". Would like to save some money on water conditioner so I figure a smaller tank then I can get away with daily water changes. Right now I change my water every three to four days.

kaceyo
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
They are a bit small for such a large tank unless you have quite a few of them. How many are there?

Kacey

Tito
03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Nine.

kaceyo
03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Personaly, I would put them in a tank about half the size of what they're in now. But I would also do daily 50%wc's, so it wouldn't save you any water. You can get away with fewer wc's but the risk of the fish getting sick will be greater and they won't grow as fast or as well. That's partly because you can't feed as heavily while doing minimal wc's and feeding BH or seafood mix isn't recommended without daily wc's. It's all about what you want to get out of your fish vs what you're ready to put into raising them.

Kacey

Tito
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't pay for water so that will not be a problem. It's the tap water conditioner that is the problem. I wonder if a 40 breeder would do the trick. With a 40 breeder I could do 50% everyday.

mikel
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I have a 40 breeder that I use as a grow out tank for all my Blues. It works great....big enough for my crew of 4 and they are now ranging from 6.5 inches to 4 inches. But I have only 4, not 9 smaller one, but I would use the 40 if I were in your shoes too. The smaller tank allows me to keep them compact, feed them intensively, and I get to do massive (100%) water changes anytime I wish. A capful of Prime is all I need for a 100% water change. mike

nesser
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I agree with what is being said here,it's the frequency of youre w/c's after feeding instead of makeing up water quantity every other day, more like it's a fool proof plan.If fish are starting out at 2.5" and there are nine a 75 gallon would probably be comfortable for a "grow out"type tank.I have 6 in a 55 gallon and they are 4"Tl and Sl,I'm not worried about a larger tank just yet but probably in 4 months or so.I started them at 2" 4 months ago so I hope they are not runts in another 4 months.

kaceyo
03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
I would go with at least a 50gal for 9 fish the size of yours. As for conditioner, if you buy it from an internet supplier it costs half the price. If your water has only chlorine you can use Tap Water Conditioner (API) that uses only 1 tsp per 100 gals. If you have chloramines you can use Prime, which is only 1 tsp/50gals. If you have well water you don't need a conditioner at all, just age it overnight.
Do some shopping around to get the best prices.

Kacey

ShinShin
03-25-2009, 11:23 PM
It's not too good to grow out very small discus in too large a tank. They tend to burn more energy swimming and looking for food. It can be better to minimize the exercise area, feed well, and water change large volumes. If a big tank is all you have, section it of with egg crate so you have the volume, but not the swimming area. The only problem I've had with that is that the food tends to drift into the unlived section, but can be dealt with.

Mat

rickztahone
03-26-2009, 12:13 AM
fill the tank half-way

Tito
03-26-2009, 12:41 AM
It's not too good to grow out very small discus in too large a tank. They tend to burn more energy swimming and looking for food. It can be better to minimize the exercise area, feed well, and water change large volumes. If a big tank is all you have, section it of with egg crate so you have the volume, but not the swimming area. The only problem I've had with that is that the food tends to drift into the unlived section, but can be dealt with.

Mat

I think this is probably the best option for me. Divide the tank.

kaceyo
03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
fill the tank half-way

This won't help much as it's the large footprint, or floor area, that's the biggest probem. When the fish feed in close proximity to each other it insites an aggressive feeding responce, or feeding frenzy, that will insure that all the fish will eat their fill in a short amount of time.
Your best off with a smaller tank or, barring that, a divider as Mat mentioned.

Kacey

Tito
03-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm thinking I can divide the tank into three sections. one for the smallest - then next up and the last section for the largest.

It should work out to be a 2 x 4 x 3 setup. I have 2 2" fish 4 2.5" fish and 3 3 to 4" fish.

What do you guys think?