PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me advice please

Marywouters
03-26-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi

I have had 2 couples laying eggs in my breeding tanks, one on the 23rd of March and the other on the 24th. The first batch has all turned white again. Still this is a pair that has had fry when they were at the former owner's. They lay eggs about every 7-14 days, but each time the eggs turn white and get fungused. I can still see some eggs now that are brownish but it is only a few eggs. Normally they would have to be wrigglers now, at least I think so.
The other eggs, laid on the 24th in the afternoon are like this now: http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/renestas/Legselvan24maart2009011.jpg
I don't understand what I am doing wrong. The first couple has laid eggs 5 times now, and always the same result. I put Mycopur by Sera in the water every time I have eggs, so they wouldn't get fungused.
My water has the following parameters: Temp. 28°C, PH 7, KH 2, GH 4, µS 120, Nitrites 0. I do a WC of 10-20% every day. My fish get all kinds of frozen foods + vitamins. I have my tanks set up like this:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/renestas/kweekstelling3.jpg

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Mary

Elite Aquaria
03-26-2009, 06:56 AM
What type of filtration do you have...make sure when they are spawning that you do not have the air stones running very hard...I actually turn them off for the hour if I see them spawning. Everything else seems ok...You may want to bring down the uS between 80-100. That is what I use and I also have more success with a lower ph of around 6-6.5. Patience is the key here. Did you see fry on the pair before from the other breeder?

Marywouters
03-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello Dan

Thanks for your answer. My filtration system is under the tank on the drawing. It passes through 4 different kinds of material and then it's pumped up into the thing called droogfilter (dryfilter) on top of the tanks. Here is flows through lavastones and then drips into the tanks. This is supposed to be the best way of filtration, but it takes the CO² out of the water, so it is hard to keep the PH lower. Can I use something to lower the PH like something we call oak-extracts?
How long can I keep my couples in water that is this soft? Will they not become ill?

Kind regards

Mary