PDA

View Full Version : New guy question

smogtechsj.com
03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Im new here. I currently looking to start a discus tank. I been searching on Ebay and found some cheap cannister filter by the name of "JEBAO" and use fluval pads. Should I stay away from this brand or it ok to use.

Elite Aquaria
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
How big is your tank? You can just use 2 sponge filters.

smogtechsj.com
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Got it from a friend couple of weeks ago. It a half circle tank and about 30-35gals. I also came with a Rena hangover filter, but i dont think it work that good because the shape of the tank, that why I want to get a bigger filter.

DiscusOnly
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Is this going to be a display tank? What are your plans in term of stocking the tank?

smogtechsj.com
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Nah not a display tank, it sit in my dinning area, probly gonna get about 3 pairs of discus.

rbarn
03-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Nah not a display tank, it sit in my dinning area, probly gonna get about 3 pairs of discus.

6 discus in a 35 gal is waaaaay to small.

Wouldnt really keep discus in anything smaller than a 55 gal personally.

rickztahone
03-27-2009, 02:49 AM
6 discus in a 35 gal is waaaaay to small.

Wouldnt really keep discus in anything smaller than a 55 gal personally.

not only is it waaaay too small for 6 discus, it is a horrible idea to keep 3 proven pairs in there, they will probably fight to death

Chad Adams
03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Smogtechsj,
Let me say I think it is a great idea that you have chosen to raise discus.
It is a very rewarding & fun experience in my opinion.
The question I believe you have asked is in regards to the "name" brand
filter. I have not heard of that brand. I have used primarily Eheims which
came highly recommended. I would possibly just do a google search on that
brand if nobody comes up with an answer to your question in this post.
That being said you may also consider spending some time in other areas
of Simply to inquire for opinions on Tank Size, such as the beginner section. Tank Size, Water Quality, Fish Quality etc... are some of the factors in how successful you will be.
Research, Ask, Research Ask, Research Ask.
Chad

smogtechsj.com
03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Thank you , you guy been a great help. I will keep update on the tank.

rickztahone
03-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Thank you , you guy been a great help. I will keep update on the tank.

oh and as far as that canister filter, when i first became a member i inquired about it and everyone told me to stay away from it. take it with a grain of salt because i never used it but i tend to listen to members here because they have more experience than me :D

billyboy
05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
oh and as far as that canister filter, when i first became a member i inquired about it and everyone told me to stay away from it. take it with a grain of salt because i never used it but i tend to listen to members here because they have more experience than me :D

hey that jebo brand filter is a junk. dont ever buy it i am using one with two ehime filters for my 150 gallon show tank. jebo is always problem one. very cheep stuff. leaks.. noisy... and u cant find the filters media for it. it wont mach with nothing

albanydiscus
05-31-2009, 01:31 AM
biilyboy hit it right on the head.