PDA

View Full Version : Why no carbon?

fishyj
03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi all, First and formost I am not trying to stir anything up but why not use carbon in your filter. I did a search and really didn't come up with anything. I've read it in some post but was never explained as to why.

RockRiverfish
03-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Activated carbon is effective at absorbing various chemical compounds, but it quickly becomes saturated and must be replaced often to remain effective. Many hobbyists now limit the use of activated carbon to the removal of medications or to clear up tannin stained water.

Over the years several theories have popped up that have led some hobbyists to suggest that carbon filtration has negative effects.

Some people claim that using activated carbon leads to hole-in-the-head disease and other maladies, but I am not sure that this has been proven.

Others suggest that once the carbon becomes saturated it can leach toxins back into the water under certain conditions. While this is probaly true for certain compounds that bind weakly to the carbon, it shouldn't have much net effect as this just frees up those bonding sites for further absorbtion.

So while I don't think using activated carbon is a bad thing, a much easier and cheaper alternative is simply to keep up with regular partial water changes.

Roxanne
03-27-2009, 06:27 AM
.....certain kinds are used as a pre filter for removing chlorine/chloramine, and it is used in RO unit filtration, in whatever application, it becomes exhausted, no longer adsorbs and needs to be replaced...just not necessary to use it in the tanks filtration...

Personally, I don't even use it to remove meds.....but I am looking at using carbon filtration as a prefilter to remove chlorine from my tap water before it gets to the tanks...

I drink carbon filtered water, I haven't developed symptoms of hole in the head as of yet.....(some members of this board may disagree:D)

Rox

poconogal
03-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I've gone back to using some carbon in my filter. I use Bio Chem Zorb for the Rena XP3 and it does have some carbon. I replace the media once a month. Years ago I used Chemi Pure with my Discus, replaced it every 3 months, and never had any problems. I also do not do daily WCs and never have.

Don Trinko
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Your choice. I do not deliberatly add carbon but some of the filters I use come with it. I leave it in unless I need to medicate.
Carbon causing hole in the head and leaching out previously adsorbed (absorbed?) toxins are not based on fact. To the best of my knowledge both are completly untrue. Don T.

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi all, First and formost I am not trying to stir anything up but why not use carbon in your filter. I did a search and really didn't come up with anything. I've read it in some post but was never explained as to why.

Hey Jim!

It's funny that you said that you searched and found nothing. Typically when you find no information on this site, theres not too much to be said about it.

There's really no right or wrong way to use carbon in a filter. I personally use it to filter tap water prior to use, but do not use it in the tank itself. Honestly, it probably can't hurt. If you are going to use it, I would come up with a schedule to change it (monthly?). IMO a filter should not use media that has to be replaced on some schedule. The best filter is one that is self sufficient and only requires light maintenance (cleaning). Now, if you are dealing with an HOB filter, you may have to use carbon since the filter requires carbon cartridges. I only have one HOB filter and I ripped the carbon out of it years ago. I just use filter floss and ceramic media.

Anyway, I hope that some of what has been said here has been helpful. I wish I had a more direct answer for you.

Best wishes!

poconogal
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
....If you are going to use it, I would come up with a schedule to change it (monthly?). IMO a filter should not use media that has to be replaced on some schedule...
Well.... a filter has to be cleaned on some sort of schedule though. I usually do my canister monthly, which is when I change the Bio Chem Zorb. So its not as if media changing is the only thing that has to be done with a filter.

Graham
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Graham:)

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Connie,

That sounds like a good time to change out whatever disposable media you are using. Although I do not use disposable media I do clean the filter once a month.

Typically I preserve the bio media in tank water from the filter and remove the sponges (I'm speaking of a Fluval FX5). The sponges get a vigorous cleaning with hot tap water. They're typically very nasty! LOL! After that I clean the canister itself and the media baskets get rinsed with tap as well. Once that's all done I'll agitate the biomedia in the aqaurium water and then lift it out by hand and load it back in to the baskets. The loose particulate from the bio media gets left behind in the old tank water. I put it all back together, put it back under the tank, open the filter valves and refill the canister. Once the gurgling stops, I plug it in. That's it!

fishyj
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I have to learn how to do better searches.