PDA

View Full Version : How do your fish look in the Mourning?

cfi on the fly
03-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Just curious, but when I wake up and check on my fish, I just about crap my pants every morning. They are all on the bottom, at 45 angle and look like they are about to die.

I have immediately checked water perameters, and everything looks good, maybe very slight ammonia reading- which im working on.

When all the lights come on they get active and start swimming up right again. Are they just sleeping - is this normal?

poconogal
03-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes, it is, why are you bugging them? Let them sleep... :D:D:D

They look pale and they are sluggish, a lot like me before coffee.

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 09:23 AM
They're sleeping! Shhhhhh.....

cfi on the fly
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks,,

I guess $350 worth of fish has me a little on edge!

keef
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Lol Connie
Yep they're not morning fish for sure! But it's cool with me cos I'm crap in the mornings too, so we just avoid each other! Just leave 'em to it, when they're ready for breakfast they'll let you know.
keith

waters10
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah, it takes a while for them to get up to speed!

They used to freak out when I got close to turn on the lights, so I added moonlights to help with that. It helped a lot! But they still don't get up to speed fast enough so I can feed them before I go to work (wife feeds them for me). So now, I'll be adding a timer so my lights go on 45 minutes before I wake up. I want them ready to eat when I wake up!

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks,,

I guess $350 worth of fish has me a little on edge!

I completely understand.

You know what's funny about discus keeping? The longer you do it, the less alarmed you get when you spot something odd. After a few years of scaring the crap out of yourself for little or no reason, you'll soon become rather calm and deliberate when your discus just don't seem right. At least that is what's happened to me. LOL!

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM

They used to freak out when I got close to turn on the lights, so I added moonlights to help with that. It helped a lot! But they still don't get up to speed fast enough so I can feed them before I go to work (wife feeds them for me). So now, I'll be adding a timer so my lights go on 45 minutes before I wake up. I want them ready to eat when I wake up!

You can feed them and leave. That's what I do in the AM. I get up at 0430 in the morning and am out the door an hour later. I feed and leave. It's all gone when I get home! LOL!

Best wishes!

calihawker
03-27-2009, 10:40 AM
By the time I get up, mine are staring me down looking for the chow:p

I put a moonlight in the tank to watch them sleep. Once I saw one almost completely on it's side on the bottom. I guess he had a rough day:D

Is sleeping the correct term? Do they actually sleep?

Steve

poconogal
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM

I have moonlights on the tank too. It really does help with the transition from dark to light. I don't feed them at 4:30 a.m. I got an autofeeder so it feeds my adults at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I use LED moon lights also. I also set the timers on the day lights to come on once the ambient light in the room (sunlight) is available. The transition from moon light to sun light to day light is very gradual. Seems to work nicely.

waters10
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
You can feed them and leave. That's what I do in the AM. I get up at 0430 in the morning and am out the door an hour later. I feed and leave. It's all gone when I get home! LOL!

Best wishes!
I'm not the kinda a guy that has breakfast. It's usually 20 minutes from getting out of bed and getting out of the house. I would spend 5-10 minutes feeding my discus if I could. But I don't want to watch half-asleep discus with food swimming next to them! Where's the fun in that? :D

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not the kinda a guy that has breakfast. It's usually 20 minutes from getting out of bed and getting out of the house. I would spend 5-10 minutes feeding my discus if I could. But I don't want to watch half-asleep discus with food swimming next to them! Where's the fun in that? :D

I'm the same. I feed and leave. I discus watch in the evening. I don't have time in the AM. This tank gets fed automatically at noon (color bits). The AM feeding gets eaten whenever they feel like it. When I get home in the afternoon, there are NO food leftovers. They feed again at 5 pm and are typically pretty hungry! That's when I watch. ;)

Best wishes!