PDA

View Full Version : $149.99 discus at petco

Peachtree Discus
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
somehow looking at the affiliate banner stuff...i really dont know how i ended up at petco. anyway, browsing around i saw these links. discus at petco. (roll eyes here). i was shocked, then i saw the pictures and i was shocked, then i saw the prices and i was even more shocked. i feel sorry for anyone that buys through that link when they can get better fish @ better prices thru simply. who knows tho, maybe they get their supply from one of our sponsors and the prices are appropriate.

Petco Turq: http://www.petco.com/product/101106/Red-Turquoise-Discus.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
Petco PB: http://www.petco.com/product/101094/Pigeon-Blood-Discus.aspx

hey, buy 6 for $779.94 cuz according to the site, petco discus grow up to 12 inches!!! :crazy:

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Good lord! That's rediculous! They look terrible!!! Have you ever seen a discus in one of their stores? I don't go to Petco often and when I do it's for Dog supplies. I just wonder what their stores carry in terms of discus.

YSS
03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
hey, buy 6 for $779.94 cuz according to the site, petco discus grow up to 12 inches!!! :crazy:

That must be why it's so expensive. :D

William Palumbo
03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I have never seen Discus in my local PETCO store...They have their hands full keeping Guppies and Barbs alive. Just another prime example how the pet shop industry just does not get it. I do not know if it's just ignorance on their part, or just plain stupidity...Bill

ApacheDan
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
LOL....I couldn't find better footballs if I looked for them...:D

poconogal
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
OMG they don't even look like Discus, and right next to the pic is the description -- has a ROUND and laterally compressed body...and they grow up to 12 inches! I better get a bigger tank right now!

Kindredspirit
03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
"Needs plenty of hiding spots especially tall live plants. Discus require special attention, needing low lighting and dark substrate. Discus require soft water so a water conditioner is highly recommended."

Wow.

Kindredspirit
03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
OMG they don't even look like Discus, and right next to the pic is the description -- has a ROUND and laterally compressed body...and they grow up to 12 inches! I better get a bigger tank right now!

LOL!! Ya think?

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I have only seen "kids" working at Petco. I can't imagine an 18 year old knowing enough about so many species of fish that they would be a valuable asset to an entire fish department.

I've never met anyone, other than an owner, that was paid enough to give a care at any pet store. They're just putting in their 8 hours. I have met some that are just minimum wage folks that do care, but are few and far between and typically claim to know a bit more than they actually do. These folks are typically at mom and pops pet stores. I can't tell you how many times I've overheard conversations between customers and employees at several stores and couldn't DISAGREE more with what customers are being told. It's sad! :(

Scribbles
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted. At least now I know where to go if I need a stunted football.

poconogal
03-27-2009, 12:00 PM
"Needs plenty of hiding spots especially tall live plants. Discus require special attention, needing low lighting and dark substrate. Discus require soft water so a water conditioner is highly recommended."

Wow.

Marie, did you know that? :D:D:D:D:D I must run out and buy places for mine to hide, too. Gee, I've been doing everything all wrong!

jimmyjoe
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
They also wouldn't consider buying any fish from local breeder's I've tried. Then laughed at them for not considering them, cause my stock was better quality. Jim

ApacheDan
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
On a serious note....I wonder who supplies Petco with their fish??

I know for example, that some Asian breeders reserve their top, hand-picked Discus for the Japanese markets, where they will command as much as $500 a piece. That is grade AAA. The rest good fish (AA,A) might end up in the USA and other markets. Culls are for whoever will buy them cheap.

Just wondering.....:confused:

Kindredspirit
03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Marie, did you know that? :D:D:D:D:D I must run out and buy places for mine to hide, too. Gee, I've been doing everything all wrong!

What was it?........$800 for a discus and it never comes out from behind the plants they said it needed!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_219.gif

Peachtree Discus
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
...I can't tell you how many times I've overheard conversations between customers and employees at several stores and couldn't DISAGREE more with what customers are being told....

overhearing those conversations urks me as well :flame:. I, conveniently, leave the store with the misinformed customer and have a conversation about the crap they were just told.

...I must run out and buy places for mine to hide, too. ...

with fish like that, the question is...are the discus hiding from you or are you hiding from the discus so you don't have to see that crap :D

triton
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
The people work in petco/petsmart are NOT simply discus members, so they don't know how to keep discus.

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
overhearing those conversations urks me as well :flame:. I, conveniently, leave the store with the misinformed customer and have a conversation about the crap they were just told.

Oh, you have more control than I do. Once the conversatoin gets to the point of rediculous I butt in! Most of the time it's a kid telling the customer something. I even go so far as to ask where they got their information.

Best wishes!

scottthomas
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
On a serious note....I wonder who supplies Petco with their fish??

I know for example, that some Asian breeders reserve their top, hand-picked Discus for the Japanese markets, where they will command as much as $500 a piece. That is grade AAA. The rest good fish (AA,A) might end up in the USA and other markets. Culls are for whoever will buy them cheap.

Just wondering.....

The PETCO stores where I live in Ga. are supplied by a wholesaler Sun Pets for all of thier fish You can find them online. I once asked a manager about discus. He called Sun Pets and then told me he could get discus for about $45-$50 dollars but I would have to pre pay and come pick them up because he didnt have tanks for them. They even had some wild discus for sale. I have seen in another store discus from Sun Pets and they looked average at best but far better than the pictures posted on this thread from the PETCO link. I wonder who wrote those descriptions? They probably just looked at the pictures and guessed.:confused:

Scott

Roxanne
03-27-2009, 05:36 PM
This is why it is important to try to get your fish from breeders, yes it costs more, but it is really worth it..Preferably Simply Sponsors. I tell people about Simply, whether the store owner is there or not. People are reaching out for help & get sold crap & misinformation. Point them here, and then they too can benefit from SD wisdom...

It's easy to just come out with it & say "Have you seen SimplyDiscus.com? You will find all your answers there"....then they say "What's it called again?;) :)

Rox

traversediscus
03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh, you have more control than I do. Once the conversatoin gets to the point of rediculous I butt in! Most of the time it's a kid telling the customer something. I even go so far as to ask where they got their information.

Best wishes!

I love listening to the Petco/Petsmart experts tell customers.

It would surprise me if they tell people that the best tanks mates for fish is chips.

kirkp
03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
About 8 years ago, I stopped by the local Petsmart and to my surprise they had 4.5" TL wild discus in stock. At least the manager knew enough to have them in a tank of their own (of the central filtration system) at 82 deg. Over the course of time they brought in heckels, blues and greens and all were in very good condition. At that time they were selling for $35 each but I would buy a few at a time and get them for $30. Ultimately I ended up with about 10 and now I wish I hadn't sold them off. Granted they were the royal blue or green but they were still good looking fish. Now their policy is that they won't order anything but the "stuff" they get in on a regular basis.

It's not just the local Petsmart/Petco that have a problem. There's a local store that's the area Hans dealer. I stopped by to see their fish and I was amazed. Numerous fish that were black, razor backed and emaciated. I mentioned to the "kid" in charge of the fish section that he had a lot of fish that weren't long for this world. His response to me was "How do you know that". After explaining he asked me what to do for them. Very sad.

Kirk

I forgot to add that now, I don't buy from Petco or Petsmart.

ShinShin
03-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I suggest that you don't buy discus at Petco, and move on. We all know this sort of thing exists. Why waste time on it? I don't.

Mat

mikel
03-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Actually Petco is also horrible with pet supplies too. I pay almost $10 for a tube of doggie toothpaste...but I can get the same for $4.00 plus change from an internet source. So even supplies are overpriced, and all you are doing is keeping this horrid show going. Dont get anything from them. The site entirelypets.com (something like that) sells everything you need as far as pups and cats go, and at a good price. I just recently found them, and I get my dogs' prescription meds like interceptors and frontline, ears meds and eyes ointments etc for way cheaper than at the vet's or at Petco. You only need to make sure your vet does have a prescription, then they call your vet to verify and send the product to you...at far more competitive prices. I have gotten Clavamox, interceptors and frontline from them, as well as Tresederm (for ears) and everything is good. I have nothing to do with them; just discovered them a month ago through a friend who used them quite a lot and love them. I have 4 dogs and the site is a real money saver for me. Thought I pass it on to all of you dog and cat lovers (I personally think Dr Fosters and 1-800-petmed are both way too expensive). For fish, there is of course our sponsors and Jehmco. mike

rickztahone
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
This is why it is important to try to get your fish from breeders, yes it costs more, but it is really worth it..Preferably Simply Sponsors. I tell people about Simply, whether the store owner is there or not. People are reaching out for help & get sold crap & misinformation. Point them here, and then they too can benefit from SD wisdom...

It's easy to just come out with it & say "Have you seen SimplyDiscus.com? You will find all your answers there"....then they say "What's it called again?;) :)

Rox

i agree with you Rox except for the part about sponsors being more expensive. i bought my last batch from Kenny and if i would have bought 6 fish from the LFS it would have been more expensive. not only that, the quality that our sponsors provide is unmatched flat out, no exceptions. i think to myself, if a LFS got their hands in the fish i got from Kenny they would sell them each for at least 150. i got all of them including shipping for under 250. i agree with everyone here on all points and paying 700 something for horrible looking discus is just absurd. think about it...they cant even get a picture of a healthy discus to advertise the selling of them

Eddie
03-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Looks like they are doing water changes once a week at Petco. ;)

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Looks like they are doing water changes once a week at Petco. ;)

Eddie

More like once a month. I do water changes once a week! LOL! They look like they are malnourished as well.