PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle prolific adults when your farm is full?

Dave27
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
my farm :) about 12 tanks.

I have a pair that great pair that lays every other week. I normally just wipe the eggs off while i feed the fish at the other side of the tank.

I'm wondering how others handle this when they have un wanted spawns.
My concern is the parents may get frustrated with this as I only plan on raising about 3 spawns a year from them.
Do you let them keep the eggs to wigglers or more before taking them?
Or is this a non concern, they will continue to spawn no matter what I do?

Curious to how others handle this.

Chad Hughes
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Seperate the pair. You can use a divider or two tanks. It will also allow the pair to rest.

Best wishes!

poconogal
03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I had 3 pairs spawing in the same tank at one time. I just left all the eggs, got wigglers and let nature take its course... it was snack time for other fish in the tank.

Peachtree Discus
03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
put them in a community tank or (my favorite) buy more tanks!!!! :D:D ive had pairs that i separated that would not pair up again. if i am happy with the pair I tend to leave them alone.....as you said - let them spawn and just remove the eggs.

then they look at you like .............. :confused: :angry: you b**tard

Dave27
03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I wear a goalie mask when I rub the eggs off so they don't think its me. :)

Autumn Wind
03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
OMG! that was funny (and unexpected) now my co-workers want to know what is so funny........ don't think they would get it.
I needed that.

Oh and I put mine in a community tank and the clown loaches take care of it for me, in other words I hire a professional. :D

freestylez_14
03-28-2009, 01:01 AM

LMAO!!!!!!!

rickztahone
03-28-2009, 02:18 AM

man, that's comedy! LMAO

airbus123
03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
but placing them in a comm tank wouldn't that cause a fierce fight sometimes? and end up with adult fish getting injuries and stuff...

ShinShin
03-29-2009, 01:52 AM
Putting a divider in probabally won't help much. I've had females lay eggs and males try and fertilize from the other side of the divider. Young females will spawn by themselves, too, or in a tank with other females. Not much help to you, was it? ;)

Mat

airbus123
03-29-2009, 03:03 AM
i totally agree with u mat...

what i am doing now actually is seperating males into 1 tank and females into 1 tank...

and i do notice... "lesbians" popping out in younger fish too.