PDA

View Full Version : Substrate

kareen
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi All, I need help I just went to a pool store and ask for silica sand for my fish tank the man told me that silica sand will kill my fish, I know you all use pool sand Im I asking for the right stuff?

ltgoof
03-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Don't listen to him. Pool filter sand or silica sand won't kill your fish. Just make sure rinse it several times, maybe (20X) to make sure it is clean.

Target is the brand that I got and I'm happy with it.

edawg
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
yea i love the pool filter sand it has some weight to it so it all does not get sucked up when you do WC's and fine enough were all the gunk stays on top of it for easy cleaning.

Eyecandy
03-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi there... I don't know where you are located but I always get mine from Ace Hardware.. It';s called pool filter sand and is very cheap and very clean to start with and a nice color when wet. I just rinse it in a bucket and it's good to go.. Sue:D

cyberhog05
03-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Try a Masonry shop. I live in a small town and they had a good variety of different sizes of silica

AquatiCreations
03-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Silica Sand will not harm your fish, in fact it's what is used to make the glass panes that aquariums are fabricated from. It is important to rinse thououghly,so you get all of the finer particles out. Properly washed sand should drop instantly,and should cloud your water very little.

kareen
03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi All, Thanks for all your help, I got some pool sand from Ace Hardwear clean it real good and it looks great in my tank and my Discus look happy .Thanks Karen

hohm44
03-31-2009, 03:56 AM
What does this stuff look like, what color is it?

Eddie
03-31-2009, 04:23 AM
It's just like regular sand but the individual grains are a little larger, almost pebbles.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/hth-pool-filter-sand-50-lbs-p-69631.html?ref=42

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=pool+filter+sand&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

Eddie

TankWatcher
03-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Like Eddie says, It's just like regular sand but the individual grains are a little larger, though I couldn't say mine are almost pebbles (but I can see where Eddie is coming from). Maybe it's more like coffee sugar granules (at least, the Aussie version of those).

If it's silica pool filter sand, it will also be quite a light colour. Some other pool filter sand can be browner in colour.