03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
am having trouble understanding the differences between the following strains:

1. blue cobalt
2. blue turquoise
3. red turquoise
4. altum flora
5. brilliant blue
6. blue diamond - red striated

could some of you pros give me some tips on how the above strains differ relative to eye color, marking colors, and background colors? are some of these strains synonomous?

also, what does the qualifier "diamond" signify. is it a different type of body shape?

what book(s) can help me understand differences between similar looking strains?

chandan

rickztahone
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
am having trouble understanding the differences between the following strains:

1. blue cobalt
2. blue turquoise
3. red turquoise
4. altum flora
5. brilliant blue
6. blue diamond - red striated

could some of you pros give me some tips on how the above strains differ relative to eye color, marking colors, and background colors? are some of these strains synonomous?

also, what does the qualifier "diamond" signify. is it a different type of body shape?

what book(s) can help me understand differences between similar looking strains?

chandan

i can only help you partially here. the blue cobalt is like a Blue diamond but has a bar vertically down the eyes, also shows bars on body which the BD doesn't. the cobalt also has striations on the dorsal fins i believe. w/ the turqs you can just tell on the differences of the color itself. this is an altum which is really different from any turqs
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/2-20-09altumflora2.jpg
as far as the brilliant blue i am not too sure. it is easy to distinguish the BD from the cobalt but it's more difficult to distinguish BD's w/ some that are more metallic in color and such.

HTH

kaceyo
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
It can get pretty confusing but I'll try to sort it out a bit.
1. A cobalt is a solid blue turq without striations.
2. Blue turq is incorrect. A turq is blue/green but can look more blue or green depending on lighting, strain etc.
3. Red turq is a turq with red striations throughout the body and fins.
4 Altum Flora is a strain of turq that has been bred to have a very hi-fin hi-body look.
5 brilliant "turq" is a turq that's been bred to have a highly metalic sheen.
6 Blue Diamond does not have any striations or red. They are a mutation that has no stress bars at all and display a solid blue highly metalic (usually) color even in the anal fin, dorsal fin and gill covers.
This is a very basic explanation with many details missing but should give you a fair idea of the differences.

Kacey

Eddie
04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
2. Blue turq is incorrect. A turq is blue/green but can look more blue or green depending on lighting, strain etc.
4 Altum Flora is a strain of turq that has been bred to have a very hi-fin hi-body look.
6 Blue Diamond does not have any striations or red. They are a mutation that has no stress bars at all and display a solid blue highly metalic (usually) color even in the anal fin, dorsal fin and gill covers.
This is a very basic explanation with many details missing but should give you a fair idea of the differences.

Kacey

Very good explanation Kacey! ;)

Eddie

Rod
04-02-2009, 06:52 AM

Kacey

Nice summary Kacey :)

csarkar001
04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
appreciated. is there a book someone could recommend that helps explain the differences between strains?