PDA

View Full Version : Feeding discus

Chris Witterick
03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi all. Is there anyone out there that raises their discus on commercial dried discus food alone and what sort of success have you had?
Beefheart mixes and a lot of other fresh foods seem un necessarily poluting to me and don't the dried foods have all the nutrients the fish need?
Cheers Chris:confused:

Elite Aquaria
03-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Chris,

In my opinion if you want to get your fish to reach max potential then you will need to use a meat source i.e. seafood, beef heart etc...

I do not use much commercially prepared feeds in my fish room. Yes the home prepared foods pollute the water but that is why I do 50% daily water changes.

Palue
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
I think if you feed a varied diet of frozen and dried you would be okay. I don't feed beefheart and never will, my tank is display only but I do want the best for me fish. There are many good foods out there.

grandrapids9
03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi, I feed beefheart, bloodworms several times a day, about twice a day they get live black worms on most days. Very soon, I will be using the tiny wiggler worms, as my discus are large enough to eat them.

I tried dry food, and while they "inhaled" it, they quickly spit it out.

A varied quality meat food is best, forget the flake only they will not grow to their full potential.

I will also be looking at a frozen or a prepared by me seafood to add to their diet soon.

Eddie
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi all. Is there anyone out there that raises their discus on commercial dried discus food alone and what sort of success have you had?
Beefheart mixes and a lot of other fresh foods seem un necessarily poluting to me and don't the dried foods have all the nutrients the fish need?
Cheers Chris:confused:

Not all mixes are polluting, I use a seafood mix that doesn't pollute at all. I feed small amounts many times throughout the day and non of it gets left around in the tank. My fish do very well in growth and color.

One day, I want to experiment with using solely Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef, from fry to adult but thats down the road. I use ON PR as my primary dry food while I am away at work.

Eddie

Palue
03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
I would like to ask if one can feed freeze dried plankton to discus??

:angel:

Peachtree Discus
03-30-2009, 01:43 AM
...Is there anyone out there that raises their discus on commercial dried discus food alone ...

depends on what you mean by "raise". how old are the fish ?

Eddie
03-30-2009, 02:09 AM
I would like to ask if one can feed freeze dried plankton to discus??

:angel:

Sure, if your fish will take it.

Eddie

Chris Witterick
03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
depends on what you mean by "raise". how old are the fish ?

Not sure how old the fish are but they are a healthy looking 70cm and it's looking like the concensus is that a varied diet with fresh is best.

Scribbles
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
70cm? That's over 2 feet. Do you keep that one in the swimming pool?:D

Chris Witterick
04-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Oops! I mean't 7 cm. Still not got me head around this metric system.

Adam Robinson
04-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Oops! I mean't 7 cm. Still not got me head around this metric system.

That darn metric system again

aminyassien
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
i use dry food but i mix it with beefheart
my discus now are 4 inch beside the other bigger breeding pairs
varios kind of food but mainly beef heart

ShinShin
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Palue,

With the exceptions of freeze dried fines to fry, and pulverized freeze dried foods in mixes, I don't feed freeze dried foods alone at any time. I have used FD bloodworms, krill, mysis shrimp, and plankton from time to time in mixes.

Mat