PDA

View Full Version : What is consider Rapid Breathing?

jerbear
03-30-2009, 05:57 AM
How many breathes per minute is consider rapid breathing????? I am new to this and have recently made a purchase of 12 discuses. In my opinion, I have always felt they breathed rapidly with compared to other fish I have owned however they are eating and swimming ok... Again what is the bench mark I should be looking for?

Thanks
Jerry

DiscusDude85
03-30-2009, 06:04 AM
60breaths per minute give or take. Are both gill plates opening and closing on the discus? Are the gill plates flared open? I there any cottony growth on the gill tissue? Are they flicking against objects in the tank? Let us know some more info.

Joe

DiscusDude85
03-30-2009, 06:04 AM

poconogal
03-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Healthy adults should breathe about 60 breaths per minute. Over that amount, but depending on how much over, would indicate rapid breathing. From what I understand, healthy juvies breathe more rapidly than adults. Someone else who has juvies should be along and can elaborate since I've only had sub-adults and adults. And after a good feed, they all will breathe heavily for awhile, flaring their gills.

jerbear
03-30-2009, 08:04 AM
The discus range in age from 3 to 6 months old and they are breathing 80+ per minute. No flared gills.. Occasionally I do see them flickering on the side but that is a rare occurance..The gills seemed to be red. Both gill plates are being used..Temp 85.. Water conditions are great.. Zero ammonia and nitrites.. 85%water change daily..They just seem to be breathing heavy..

Jerry

Eddie
03-30-2009, 08:20 AM
The discus range in age from 3 to 6 months old and they are breathing 80+ per minute. No flared gills.. Occasionally I do see them flickering on the side but that is a rare occurance..The gills seemed to be red. Both gill plates are being used..Temp 85.. Water conditions are great.. Zero ammonia and nitrites.. 85%water change daily..They just seem to be breathing heavy..

Jerry

How many fish, what size tank? Could be low o2. Do you have adequate aeration in the tank, from an airstone, sponge filter or water surface agitation from filter outlet? Also, do you use Co2?

Are the fish hanging at the top at all?

Eddie

jerbear
03-30-2009, 08:28 AM
ph 7.2 (normal)
KH 3.2

Tank is 55 gallon BB. Two sponge filters plus AquaClear 500..(Will be moving them to a 125 gallon bb tank in about 2 weeks)..

No they are not hanging around at the top...No CO2....

Jerry

Eddie
03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
ph 7.2 (normal)
KH 3.2

Tank is 55 gallon BB. Two sponge filters plus AquaClear 500..(Will be moving them to a 125 gallon bb tank in about 2 weeks)..

No they are not hanging around at the top...No CO2....

Jerry

Wow, sounds like they should be doing fine. My fish breathe more than 60 times per minute and they are fine. ;)

Eddie

Don Trinko
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
IMO; The breathing can be faster or slower depending on activity and mood. Unless it is very rapid I would not worry.
I have a male that breaths faster when wanting to spawn. (common male caracteristic in many species) Don T.

Eddie
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Also, check ammonia levels. Any amount of ammonia can cause heavy breathing.

Eddie

DiscusDude85
03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Healthy adults should breathe about 60 breaths per minute. Over that amount, but depending on how much over, would indicate rapid breathing. From what I understand, healthy juvies breathe more rapidly than adults. Someone else who has juvies should be along and can elaborate since I've only had sub-adults and adults. And after a good feed, they all will breathe heavily for awhile, flaring their gills.

Come to think of it, My little babies deffinately have a more rapid respiration than my sub, and full adults.

Joe

malo
03-31-2009, 08:55 AM
sorry to butt in but i have noticed my discus have been flicking and have cottony like growth on the gill tissues. can you tell me whats causing this please.

neil

Roxanne
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I'd try starting a new thread with that 1 malo...

most juvenile "anythings" have a faster breathing rate than adults...and I've seen what Don means, I've got a female who's breathing rate increases considerably when she is trying to keep boys away from her eggs....if the gills look ok, not hanging out or inflamed, I wouldn't worry...

Roxanne