PDA

View Full Version : Eggs... but now what!

Yassmeena
03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
I am totally new to egg laying, but my beautiful albinos seem to have formed a pair and now there's some egg-laying going on.

I have 6 young adult discus in a 55 gallon. This is the mom's second time laying eggs. The first time they all fell on the ground.

Yesterday she laid them on the heater. That posed a little problem because when I did a WC, the water level went down, exposing them to air for about 20-25 minutes.

I read the timeline in the sticky. I am clear on that (I think).

My questions are:

1 - If this pair has eggs that turn to wrigglers, how long can I leave this pair and their babies in the same tank?

2 - Does Petco sell breeding cones?

Thanks!

Yasmin

Chad Hughes
03-31-2009, 08:31 AM
It's not likely that a young pair will have a successful spawn that early, but it is possible. The first thing I would do is make sure you are prepared for breeding. Get your fry tank set up and cycled. You'll probably need at least a 30 gallon for babies and then a 55 for later stage grow out. You're going to need it if you are seriously considering raising fry. As for your questions, leave the fry with the parents until they are accepting BBS freely. This way you know that they can stop feeding off the parents. Petco does not sell breeding cones to my knowledge. You really don't need a cone. Drift wood, flower pots, slate all work just as well for a fraction of the price. Cones are over rated and way to expensive IMO. 20$ Really?? LOL!

Best wishes!

Yassmeena
03-31-2009, 09:58 AM
It's not likely that a young pair will have a successful spawn that early, but it is possible. The first thing I would do is make sure you are prepared for breeding. Get your fry tank set up and cycled. You'll probably need at least a 30 gallon for babies and then a 55 for later stage grow out. You're going to need it if you are seriously considering raising fry. As for your questions, leave the fry with the parents until they are accepting BBS freely. This way you know that they can stop feeding off the parents. Petco does not sell breeding cones to my knowledge. You really don't need a cone. Drift wood, flower pots, slate all work just as well for a fraction of the price. Cones are over rated and way to expensive IMO. 20$ Really?? LOL!

Best wishes!

So when you say its not likely that a young pair will be successful that early, what do you mean? Is it because of their age (they need a couple more months before they will be able to get wrigglers?) or is it because they need more experience?

Chad Hughes
03-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Typically it's the husbandry and possibly the male that is lacking. If the male is fertilizing and you have the correct water parameters, the eggs may become fertilized. If the water is too hard or the male is not fertile (yet) then you will likely have eggs that turn white within 24 hours.

Typically 1 to 1.5 years of age is prime breeding age and that's after a few test runs as a pair that fail. Once you get to the wiggler stage then parenting may become an issue. Will the parents be good ones? Will they eat eggs or wigglers or fry? You won't know until it happens.

Regardless, if you have pairing activity and want to breed your discus, you should get ready. It's never a good day when you do get to the point that you have fry and nowhere to put them when the time comes. I wold highly recommend that you provide the pair with their own tank. It's much easier to control the breeding process.

Best wishes!

Yassmeena
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Typically it's the husbandry and possibly the male that is lacking. If the male is fertilizing and you have the correct water parameters, the eggs may become fertilized. If the water is too hard or the male is not fertile (yet) then you will likely have eggs that turn white within 24 hours.

Typically 1 to 1.5 years of age is prime breeding age and that's after a few test runs as a pair that fail. Once you get to the wiggler stage then parenting may become an issue. Will the parents be good ones? Will they eat eggs or wigglers or fry? You won't know until it happens.

Regardless, if you have pairing activity and want to breed your discus, you should get ready. It's never a good day when you do get to the point that you have fry and nowhere to put them when the time comes. I wold highly recommend that you provide the pair with their own tank. It's much easier to control the breeding process.

Best wishes!

Thank you - that answered my questions!

One last one: besides eggs turning white in 24 hrs, what does male fertilizing look like?

Spotting a female laying eggs is easy enough.

Chad Hughes
03-31-2009, 11:46 AM
You really won't "see" anything from the male. He must follow each of the female's egg laying runs. If he's not following her each time she makes a run, then he may just be too young and wil catch on. If he is and you still get infertile eggs, then you may have a young male or hard water. As long as your water and tank parameters are correct (hardness, temp, current, etc.) then it's just a waiting game for nature to take it's course!

Best wishes!

Yassmeena
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
You really won't "see" anything from the male. He must follow each of the female's egg laying runs. If he's not following her each time she makes a run, then he may just be too young and wil catch on. If he is and you still get infertile eggs, then you may have a young male or hard water. As long as your water and tank parameters are correct (hardness, temp, current, etc.) then it's just a waiting game for nature to take it's course!

Best wishes!

Thank you Chad! :)

DiscusChris
03-31-2009, 08:03 PM
I dont know if anyone told you, but your heater must be turned off for 15 minutes prior to water changes if it is going to become unsubmerged. Just arrange it horizontally and put it close to the bottom of the tank.

If it is on, and out of the water, it will crack, and electrocute you and all of your fish! Be careful

Yassmeena
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
I dont know if anyone told you, but your heater must be turned off for 15 minutes prior to water changes if it is going to become unsubmerged. Just arrange it horizontally and put it close to the bottom of the tank.

If it is on, and out of the water, it will crack, and electrocute you and all of your fish! Be careful

Hmmm... Actually no, noone told me.

I definitely unplug it, but I do that just seconds before the WC.

OK - horizontal it goes!

Thanks!

DiscusChris
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
youre lucky! A long long time ago, on my first aquarium, I was doing a water change and left the water level below the electrified heater for 15-20 minutes. When I poured my water back in, I smelled something funny. I stuck my finger in the water to fix a floating plant and ZAAPPP. My heater had shattered, killing all of my poor little tiger barbs and giving me a nice jolt.

freestylez_14
04-01-2009, 01:55 AM
youre lucky! A long long time ago, on my first aquarium, I was doing a water change and left the water level below the electrified heater for 15-20 minutes. When I poured my water back in, I smelled something funny. I stuck my finger in the water to fix a floating plant and ZAAPPP. My heater had shattered, killing all of my poor little tiger barbs and giving me a nice jolt.

ok this is just if. If you ever in a situation with a heater exploded while doing water changes and you get electrocuted by the heater. Can the electricity kill you? Im just curious cause every time i do water changes i always imagine of that. lol

Chad Hughes
04-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Hmmm... Actually no, noone told me.

I definitely unplug it, but I do that just seconds before the WC.

OK - horizontal it goes!

Thanks!

This warning is on the box of the heater. I know, no body reads that! LOL!

DO NOT ALLOW HEATER TO RUN DRY!

ok this is just if. If you ever in a situation with a heater exploded while doing water changes and you get electrocuted by the heater. Can the electricity kill you? Im just curious cause every time i do water changes i always imagine of that. lol

In order to be electrocuted, YOU must be the path of least resistance to ground. That being said, unless you are standing bare foot in a puddle of water, you will not get electrocuted to the point that you are going to be harmed. I've never tried it, but I would imagine that you would feel it if you had 120 volts going through the tank. Best practice IMO is to keep your heaters at the bottom most part of thetank and you'll never have to worry about this.

Best wishes!

Yassmeena
04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
This warning is on the box of the heater. I know, no body reads that! LOL!

DO NOT ALLOW HEATER TO RUN DRY!

In order to be electrocuted, YOU must be the path of least resistance to ground. That being said, unless you are standing bare foot in a puddle of water, you will not get electrocuted to the point that you are going to be harmed. I've never tried it, but I would imagine that you would feel it if you had 120 volts going through the tank. Best practice IMO is to keep your heaters at the bottom most part of thetank and you'll never have to worry about this.

Best wishes!

ok - so I never let the heater run dry. But I don't wait 15 minutes between unplugging and starting the water change. I unplug it, and probably something like 1 minute goes by before it starts to be air-exposed. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It seems like the heat may still be a potential risk for cracking, even while powers out. Afterwards plugging in may transmit the electricity - and zap. yikes!

ok - horizontal - thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Eddie
04-02-2009, 08:06 AM
ok - so I never let the heater run dry. But I don't wait 15 minutes between unplugging and starting the water change. I unplug it, and probably something like 1 minute goes by before it starts to be air-exposed. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It seems like the heat may still be a potential risk for cracking, even while powers out. Afterwards plugging in may transmit the electricity - and zap. yikes!

ok - horizontal - thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Hiya Yas,

Congrats on the eggs!

About the heater, I'd at least wait 5 minutes minimum before exposing it to the air. The slight difference in air temperature can crack the heater. It is also a good practice to wait 5 or 10 minutes before plugging it back in so the glass can adjust to the temp of the water. Even if your heater doesn't crack, many others have had premature heater failures for not waiting.

Eddie

mmorris
04-02-2009, 10:39 AM
We like pictures. :D

Stormy
04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi there, if you don't have a submersible heater get one and stick it to the bottom of the tank. Never worry about unplugging it or exposing it to air again. Problem is when you unplug your heater may forget to plug it back in.:( I have done this and now have all submersible heaters, they are worth every cent:)

Eddie
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi there, if you don't have a submersible heater get one and stick it to the bottom of the tank. Never worry about unplugging it or exposing it to air again. Problem is when you unplug your heater may forget to plug it back in.:( I have done this and now have all submersible heaters, they are worth every cent:)

Yeah, that doesn't work for me, I do 100% WCs so I just always remember to plug them back in. ;)

Eddie

Yassmeena
04-02-2009, 12:43 PM
We like pictures. :D

I wish I had some to share! First egg laying, they just fell off the glass and I had no choice but to clean them out of the tank. Second egg-laying, I woke up the next morning, and they were gone - probably eaten?

DiscusChris
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that doesn't work for me, I do 100% WCs so I just always remember to plug them back in. ;)

Eddie

Eddie, I would love to see a picture of one of your famous water changes. What are the fish doing while the water is soooo low that a 1 inch thick heater is exposed?? Im really interested in seeing how they react.

Eddie
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Eddie, I would love to see a picture of one of your famous water changes. What are the fish doing while the water is soooo low that a 1 inch thick heater is exposed?? Im really interested in seeing how they react.

LOL, they flounder around on their sides. ;)

Eddie

timmy101
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh im new to discus so how can you guys measure the parameter? THANKS

jaykne
07-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Hey Yasmin, I know the fish you are talking about, just got them from Kenny a little while ago, I have also been ordering and got the Albino Pigeon Blood that had her tube down, and had Kenny pick a Yellow Crystal for her. It turned out really good they paired off right away and have them in there own 29gal but no fry yet. I got an ro unit and make sure the water is perfect but still don't even get to the point to hatch, they my be 6" but young and take a long time for them to get it right. They spawn about every 4 days and they are getting better but I still think it will be a while, not very easy, if I were you just let them spawn away for a while till they get older. Larry