PDA

View Full Version : White Spots Of Bacteria?

mmorris
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I have two fish in separate tanks that have been developing small white marks. The marks do not appear to be raised and I don't think they look like missing scales. Both fish are behaving normally. Could it be bacterial?

mmorris
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Any ideas, folks?

Don Trinko
04-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Most of the external parasites can be eliminated with many things including Formalin, Malachite green, Copper safe, Prazi and even metro.
If I'm not sure what to use I use copper safe. If that does not work then I try something else depending on the symptoms.
In the one photo it looks like a white spot that may be raised but when I magnify it it disapears somewhat. Discus do sometimes get raised white spots that look something like ick but they ussualy disapear in a few days and there are typicaly only one or two spots. I have seen this several times and never on more than one fish in the tank.
When I think it is bacterial I normaly use erythromycyn but metro has some effect on bacteria also.
There are many on this site that are much more knowledgeable than I am so perhaps you will get some other opinions. Don T.

Eddie
04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm not an expert but it just looks like discolored pigments. I wouldn't treat the fish if the fish is otherwise healthy. How old are the fish?

Eddie

mmorris
04-01-2009, 10:04 PM
One is about a year and a half and the other is three. It seems to be spreading on the older one now. It looks like discolored pigment to me too but...why is it discolored like that in spots?

CliffsDiscus
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
How old is the Discus? They look like age spots next comes the wrinkles.

Cliff

mmorris
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Look above you Cliff. ;)

Roxanne
04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
...next comes the wrinkles.

Cliff

:D and then the dementia...

Roxanne
04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
.....If it keeps spreading, I'd treat ...

have a look at this...http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/treat4.htm

or

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/treat11.htm

Graham
04-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd say pigment also

ShinShin
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Don,

What external bacteria are you killing with metro? I know it is an antibiotic, but to my knowledge the only bacteria it has any effect on is anaerobic bacteria, which would be found internally.

Mat

mmorris
04-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks Don and Roxanne, but there is no reason to think it might be parasite, and the description of a bacteria infection doesn't match. So, pigment it is then, unless other symptoms develop. I'll know there's a problem when they forget what they swam up to the top of the tank for. Could it be lichen, perhaps? :D Does moss grow on a rolling stone? :D

Don Trinko
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Larry; You are correct; metro for some internal bacteria. my fingers moved faster than my brain. Don T.

Roxanne
04-03-2009, 05:16 PM
...:D Does moss grow on a rolling stone? :D

lol....ask my papa:D

I only said that cos I've got pigment loss on my red melon, but it only affects each individual scale and not a messy spread like yours have, I've only got it on one in a tank of seven...and she's been like that for ages....and, the other thing is you said two of yours have it....:confused:

Rox:)

mmorris
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
lol....ask my papa:D

I only said that cos I've got pigment loss on my red melon, but it only affects each individual scale and not a messy spread like yours have, I've only got it on one in a tank of seven...and she's been like that for ages....and, the other thing is you said two of yours have it....:confused:

Rox:)

Yea, that's why I was thrown. Now, am I going to get the wrinkles and dementia or are the fish? :elvis:

Roxanne
04-03-2009, 07:24 PM
...you first mate:D