PDA

View Full Version : Just to know...

mcsinny99
03-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know the average life expectancy of discus in the wild? Just curious.:)
Also, how much blue does it take to be semi-royal, and how much more to be considered full royal?
I have also noticed some sales on aquabid stating tefe greens starting to show red spotting. Is that something that shows up later in the life cycle or should a discus say 6 inch already display spotting?
Thanks ahead of time if anyone knows the answers to my random questions!

brewmaster15
04-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi ,
Its largely subjective here but a full Royal blue should be fully striated much like red turq, these fish are very expensive so naturally the name "semi-royal " blue is used when it can be to denote a fish thats less than a full Royal but more than a common blue. Generally semi-royals have some Striations along top half of the body and some along the lower portion but are notfully striated... I guess if I wanted to state a percentage...maybe 2/3's striated..but thats again subjective.

wild Red spotted Greens ... again an expensive fish if fully spotted so we see common greens with some spotting being noted as having partial spotting or starting to spot up. While its possible for greens to develop some spotting in captivity (I've seen it happen) an adult wild red spotted green of 6" should be spotted already if its going to be a good spotted specimen.

Wilds lifespan is hard to tell.. I've had wilds in captivity for over 6 years, so I would guess the potential is longer if they are not eaten or die prematurely from any of the hazzards of a natural existence or collectors net.:)

The above are my views and opinions not hard facts or necessarily accepted definitions....other may disagree.

hth,
al

mcsinny99
04-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input Al. I think the larger issue is who to buy wilds from. The fish I see on aquabid seem to be all over the place and it's hard to tell who the good guys are.
Btw, what is a good price for a royal?

Don Trinko
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure abought wilds but domestic discus can live to 10 years or more.
Don T.

brewmaster15
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Btw, what is a good price for a royal?
Hard to say...The really good royals start at a couple hundred dollars retail...

This thread is an interesting on prices...:)
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67388

-al