PDA

View Full Version : Adding a discus to my tank.....is it possible?

MissMTS
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi,
I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice you guys have to give. I am thinking of adding a discus to my current setup in a 70 gallon tall tank. I currently have the following:

8 Praecox Rainbows
1 Juvie Blue Acara
4 Burmese Border Loaches
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 King Tiger Pleco
1 Angel

Now, I am aware that discus are best kept in groups; however, I have heard sucess stories of people keeping a single discus in a community set up as long as the water parameters are catered to the discus' requirements and tankmates are chosen carefully. I also know that there is a lot of discrepency as to whether or not discus and angels can be kept together. I have had sucess with it in the past, infact, the angel that I currently have in the tank has been kept with discus in the past and is very docile. I am open to hear everyone's opinions. I certainly don't want to add a fish into an unsuitable environment; however, I would love to add a discus to my tank if I can because I miss keeping them :)

dpt8
04-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Sad :9( Discus are a schooling fish and should be kept in a group where they feel safe and secure. 70 gl. would house 7 or 8 adults.. If you are serious about keeping discus go for a small group.. They'll eat well and be happy quarreling with each other :9) They need the interaction and security of the group.. IMO

thebigone
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
IMO if you only keep one discus in a community tank he will hide a lot and be real scared. IMO it would be best to keep no less then 6 discus in a tank unless it is a breeding pair and they would need to be kept in a tank by themselves. HTH

MissMTS
04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the imput guys :) I deffinetly won't add one to my tank. What you told me is exactly what I wanted to know. I never want to add a fish to a less than optimal environment.

thebigone
04-03-2009, 01:45 AM
If you were to start with discus and I hope that you do I wouldn't start with nothing less then a 55 gallon. IMO.

DiscusOnly
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
and I don't suggest the standard 55gal footprint. Get something that is at least 18" deep.

thebigone
04-03-2009, 08:06 PM
and I don't suggest the standard 55gal footprint. Get something that is at least 18" deep.

vlam I was just suggesting nothing smaller than a 55gallon. A 75 gallon would be great. I didn't want you to think that I was saying to get a 55 gal. I just wouldn't go any smaller then a 55 gal.