PDA

View Full Version : WILL THEY PEPPER?

machine77
04-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi guys,
im new to this hobby and im gonna buy a few checkerboard pigeons from kennys new shipment this month, both a checkerboard pigeon and checkerboard turq.. now there both 5".. my tank is 125gal, very few plants, just some vals, black background which i can change to blue if needed and gravel, alittle darker then natural, will these discus eventualy pepper? if so ill get a different strain! any help is very much appriciated! thanks so much,
nolan

Eddie
04-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Hi guys,
im new to this hobby and im gonna buy a few checkerboard pigeons from kennys new shipment this month, both a checkerboard pigeon and checkerboard turq.. now there both 5".. my tank is 125gal, very few plants, just some vals, black background which i can change to blue if needed and gravel, alittle darker then natural, will these discus eventualy pepper? if so ill get a different strain! any help is very much appriciated! thanks so much,
nolan

I say yes, with the colors of the tank and substrate, yes. I would not say a lot but there will be slight peppering in the fins. Now, you may want to ask Kenny specifically since his pigeons are super CLEAN but just make sure with him first.

Eddie

machine77
04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
thanks so much for your time eddie, im waiting for his return call and when he does ill ask him. i dont mind some on the fins, just cant deal with peppering on the face.. its not attractive to say the least when you have a show tank! ill post pictures when i recieve my shipment sometime in the weeks to come! once agian thanks for your help!
nolan merrill

Don Trinko
04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Any pigeon blood type can pepper. It may be just a little or it may be alot. Many do not consider mild pepering a problem, me included. Don T.

waters10
04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Since I'm not a pepper hater, I'd be more worried with the turk. I used to have a huge piece of driftwood that was very dark and my discus used to spend most of the time around it.

After I removed it, all my non-pb discus were much lighter, specially my penang eruption and blue diamond. I didn't notice a huge difference on my pb ones, maybe a bit less pepper, but they never showed a lot (kenny's fish) and their color tone was pretty much the same. My penang eruption though, looked so much better!

Yassmeena
04-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi guys,
nolan

Hi Nolan,

All discus I beleive get darker in a planted tank. They also get darker with a dark background with no plants and with a dark substrate. So being that you have all three factors working against you (sorry..) then I would venture that you will experience darkening and peppering.

Peppering may be slight because it's Kenny. Kenny will work with you to pick extra-clean checkerboard BPs if you make your desires clear to him. Those checkerboard BPs in the April shipment are just amazing btw!!!

As for the turq, Fabricio (waters10) has a very good point. I had one that used to hide by my heater all day just dark! Similar to Fabricio's DW story...

If the coloration of your discus is important to you, perhaps you can consider albinos? I did that - I am so glad I did bc I have very low tolerance for darkening and peppering! Albinos glow - love them!

Your black background will definately exacerbate any darkening. Did you know that Takashi Amano gives the tip of using light color backgrounds because they bring out the color of the plants better? The same seems very true for discus. Light color backgrounds are hard to come by, but you can try wallpaper, contact paper, or cabinet liner! :D

kpotter2
04-04-2009, 01:29 AM
OK this is a very interesting thread, because I have 11 fry about 1" to 1.5" in a 55 gal with light blue painted on back and bottom. The truth is when I first turn on the lights in the morning most of them have pepering. With in minutes they get lighter and only about 4 of them still have a little pepering in there fins and face. Out of the 11 I keep from a spawn i had on Dec 30 08 these where some of the cleanist I had,but only if the light is off do they show this pepering and/or if they are stressed. Go figure!

Thanks

Kyle

Jstuver
04-04-2009, 01:32 AM
My pigeonbloods from Kenny came in just gorgeous with little to no peppering unfortunately my tank got a disease and they ended up getting a ton of peppering from it but as time has gone on about a month now the peppering is getting less and less. I have light substrate and light blue background with plants in the corners and driftwod.

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Can you post Kennys website please...

Thanks

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
also....what do you mean by *peppering*?

Thx

hedut
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=520332#post520332

that's for April treat just make sure you check computer everyday for this week,he gonna make price list and actual picture,Kenny told me CP 5" super hi-body this time,so don't miss it and good luck.

hendri

Yassmeena
04-05-2009, 06:17 PM
also....what do you mean by *peppering*?

Thx

Peppering is a black speckling that appears on pigeon strains of discus (i.e. checkerboard pigeons, pigeon snakes, etc) that resembles sprinklings of black pepper.

It is caused by the expression of pigment molecules. They tend to show more when the fish is stressed, in planted tanks or when the fish is ill.

Albinos are desirable for many reasons, one of which is that they lack the pigment completely so they never pepper or get dark.

machine77
04-05-2009, 06:23 PM
wow..
thanks guys for all your help! i changed my background to light blue, almost sky blue, and my lights make it even brighter so will see how things go, i ended up getting a hi bodied pb, millenium gold and albino turk.. will see how it goes and ill keep my fingers crossed!
p.s. i cant believe how helpful people are on here, to go out of there way to help someone they dont even know, once agian a thousand thank yous to everyone!

Yassmeena
04-05-2009, 06:31 PM
wow..
thanks guys for all your help! i changed my background to light blue, almost sky blue, and my lights make it even brighter so will see how things go, i ended up getting a hi bodied pb, millenium gold and albino turk.. will see how it goes and ill keep my fingers crossed!
p.s. i cant believe how helpful people are on here, to go out of there way to help someone they dont even know, once agian a thousand thank yous to everyone!

Well... u know one way to reward everyone? Post pics!!!! We love pics - especially of Kenny's discus!!!

I'm sure you're super excited! Can't wait to see those pics! ;):)

machine77
04-05-2009, 07:16 PM
ya im very excited! they should be at my door step wednesday morning! whoo hoo.. il take pictures once everything is calm and they feel at home, i would love to see what people think about the design on my tank, nothing special, just curious to know!
nolan

Eddie
04-05-2009, 07:44 PM
wow..

We were all right there were you are and received the help we needed to be successful. This site is amazing, filled with a plethora of knowledge from all levels. ;)

Eddie

Yassmeena
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
We were all right there were you are and received the help we needed to be successful. This site is amazing, filled with a plethora of knowledge from all levels. ;)

Eddie

Here here!