PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers...

theteflondon
04-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Does anyone here know anything about the Jebo UV Sterilizer? They are so affordable I am just wondering if they work well? Also do UV Sterilizers get rid of all algae (ex. any algae stuck to drift wood or plants) or just floating algae?

Graham
04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not familiar with that particular model, so can't help there.

As far as algae is concerned; a UV will do nothing for algae growing on surfaces within the tank. An organism, algae included, has to travel by the light to be affected by it. It also has to have ample exposure time to the light, called MWS or micro watt seconds.

It takes longer dwell times for different critters.

Graham

theteflondon
04-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm not familiar with that particular model, so can't help there.

As far as algae is concerned; a UV will do nothing for algae growing on surfaces within the tank. An organism, algae included, has to travel by the light to be affected by it. It also has to have ample exposure time to the light, called MWS or micro watt seconds.

It takes longer dwell times for different critters.

Graham
So there is nothing i can do accept to keep trying to remove it by hand off of all the drift wood and plants?

Graham
04-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Basically; that and watching water parameters

csarkar001
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Does anyone here know anything about the Jebo UV Sterilizer? They are so affordable I am just wondering if they work well? Also do UV Sterilizers get rid of all algae (ex. any algae stuck to drift wood or plants) or just floating algae?

these jebos are getting bad reviews in the plantedtank forum. users say it has too many seams and is prone to leaking.

rickztahone
04-02-2009, 12:23 PM
a UV is only good for green water from what i have read. Jebo items usually tend to be knock-offs of good products but with cheap parts. if you are going to do a sterilizer you should just get the good stuff

Scribbles
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
You could add BN plecos or some other algae eating fish to help keep wood etc. clean. They would need to be QTed first though.

calihawker
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Don,
You can try scraping and removing by hand but ultimately you need to take care of the source of the problem which is probably too much light and nutrient.

What kind of lights are you running? Any c02 or excel?

The best method I've found to control algae in my planted tank is grow the plants to a level where they out compete the algae for nutients, nitrates phosphates etc..

A good algae crew helps too. Siamensis, amano shrimp, a couple discus friendly pleco's.