PDA

View Full Version : Going on Vacation for 2 weeks - what to do?

CammieTime
04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I will be gone the first two weeks of August. I have a couple of options for my two discus tanks (75 gal and 28 gal).

A) Do nothing. Do a large WC right before leaving, and just let the tank run while I am gone and do not feed in any way and hope they are alive in two weeks.

B) Have my dad come over 3-4 times to check on them...and possibly feed them? I don't want him to have to do water changes...so maybe not feed them, but check the water temp and everything?

poconogal
04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
If adults, 2 weeks with no food and they'll be fine, or you can get an auto feeder to feed very lightly once a day. I've done it both ways. For juvies, you can have your dad feed them when he comes over, BUT make up portions of food for him to feed them and make sure that he understands that each portion is what he feeds, nothing more. This way he can't overfeed. Either way do a nice big WC before you leave, and then do one when you return. If you go the auto feeder route, make sure to test it out awhile before you leave just in case it doesn't work the way you want it too.

If you decide to not have your dad feed, he should come over periodically to check temp, filters, etc. anyway.

Peachtree Discus
04-02-2009, 01:39 PM
how old are the fish?

as long as they are not overfed then they should be ok. being overfed the 1st week can make your water a problem during the 2nd week. i would go the route of either no feeding or have your dad come over once at the end of the 1st week for a single light feeding

Eddie
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I will be gone the first two weeks of August. I have a couple of options for my two discus tanks (75 gal and 28 gal).

A) Do nothing. Do a large WC right before leaving, and just let the tank run while I am gone and do not feed in any way and hope they are alive in two weeks.

B) Have my dad come over 3-4 times to check on them...and possibly feed them? I don't want him to have to do water changes...so maybe not feed them, but check the water temp and everything?

If they are young fish, I would feed at least once a day with an autofeeder and hire a discus "wingman". Somebody that keeps discus near you that you can pay to take care of your tanks while you are gone. My last trip for over 2 weeks, I hired the wife to take care of mine. Cost me though, Victoria Secret made a killing out of my bank card! LOL

Eddie

Graham
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I just got back from 3 weeks and other than the tank being coated in algae the fish were fine without any water changes. The water was in excellant condition before I left.

They were fed daily, but the fish sitter had measured amounts to feed them....1 cube of FBW and a 1/2 teaspoon of flake and no more regardless of how much they beg:)

G

Eddie
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I just got back from 3 weeks and other than the tank being coated in algae the fish were fine without any water changes. The water was in excellant condition before I left.

They were fed daily, but the fish sitter had measured amounts to feed them....1 cube of FBW and a 1/2 teaspoon of flake and no more regardless of how much they beg:)

G

Sounds like my tanks Graham, the wife changed the water but didn't use any elbow grease inside the tank. I'm still seeing algae! LOL

Eddie

CammieTime
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
The 75 gallon is a tank of 7 juvies.

Eddie
04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
The 75 gallon is a tank of 7 juvies.

I'd feed them one small meal a day from an autofeeder.

Eddie

cyberhog05
04-05-2009, 06:21 PM
If it were me I would portion food into baggies and tell your dad what to do in very specific detail. Just imagine what would happen if your auto feeder malfunctioned and dumped tons of food into the water.....I would not take any risk with automated feeders on discus. Maybe a gold fish tank....It would ruin my vacation.

Graham
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Personally I would never trust an auto feeder. Give the sitter a measuring spoon or thimble......no oooops that way

Eddie
04-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Personally I would never trust an auto feeder. Give the sitter a measuring spoon or thimble......no oooops that way

I don't know Graham, the Eheim autofeeders are dependable and I have never heard of any bad experiences with them. I love mine, had them for 5 years now and work like the first day all the time!

Eddie

Graham
04-06-2009, 07:59 AM
They all work great till you go away.................:)

Greg Richardson
04-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Have your Dad come over two times a week. That will keep water quality still decent.
Take a pill box the kind that has boxes for each day of the week. Put food in the box for the day you want them fed. That way your Dad doesn't feed to much nor forgets what day he was last there to feed them.

PS. Tell your Dad you love him and know you are blessed to have him.
Life is short.