PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : ORIGINAL Wattley Turquoise

dalejordan
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi All,

Been a while for this old Discus breeder :-)

Would ANYONE by chance still have the ORIGINAL Wattley Turquoise bloodline ?? Yes the one from his original book..... not a Super Purple Lavender Ring Eruption from deep in Vietnamese jungle, but the true US bred fish from the ORIGINAL master ?????? Can you tell I'm still a purest ....tee hee

I will be asking for pictures and you will have to ship ( USPS/Fedex/whatever ) to North Dakota where I'll pick them up

Hope SOMEONE out there will still have something :-)

Thank you for your time

Dale Jordan

PS. Also, if you purchased ANY Discus from me in the past and STILL have ANY of those original lines....those are of interest as well !!!

kirkp
04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
When I saw who the author of the post was, all I could say was WOW! We've never met and I never bought any of your fish but Jordan Hatcheries had fish I drooled over. Obviously this was a few years ago when I first got into discus, probably late 80's. Got out of them and when I recently started up again, I just had to see what happened to your business. Obviously didn't find anything. Welcome back. You going to start out slow or dive in big time?

Welcome to Simply.

Kirk

dalejordan
04-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the kind words ;-)

I more than likely would still be involved in Discus if it wasn't for two things. Firstly, USFW in the early nineties became more and more a pain in the a#$ as their fees and regulations became ridiculous. Second of all, I truly disliked these 'genetic monstrosities' coming out of the far east. No disrespect to anyone out there, but I couldn't offer my customers purity knowing these things were genetic disasters. Unfortunately, you have to change with the times and offer the customer what they want or fold.....I decided to fold :-(

I always liked the simple, pure strains of the early times of Discus rearing.....this is why I'M HOPING, someone still has a good line somewhere out there :-)

In regards to getting back into it, sorry, just looking for something NICE to look at and attempt to retain the blood line. USFW has become even WORSE as the recipient now requires an import permit along with an inspection fee of $124.00.....impossible / cost prohibitive to ship into the US ;-( I just spawned ( the first as far as I know ) Uaru Sp. Orange. I almost had to give up my first born to get them to Jeff Rapps in NJ and Mark Robinson in IND.....not fun now !!!

Once again, thank you for your kind words :-) Should anyone want to chat Discus....contact me anytime !!!

Dale

Elite Aquaria
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome back Dale...

I had some of Jack's Turks back in the early 90's but they are long gone now...Hope to see you on Simply...you have a lot of knowledge that we would love if you shared.

As far as the Fees from USFW...I agree they stink...:(

Ryan
04-02-2009, 07:21 PM
I really wanted some of those Uaru sp. 'orange' but shipping on a handful of fish kills me. Do you have any pictures of the parents? I'd love to see them.

Sorry for hijacking your turk thread ;)

Vern Archer
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Dale I am glad to see your getting back into Discus..Keep me in mind if you happen to source some of those old strains have you talked to Jack? v

dalejordan
04-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I really wanted some of those Uaru sp. 'orange' but shipping on a handful of fish kills me. Do you have any pictures of the parents? I'd love to see them.

Sorry for hijacking your turk thread ;)

Hey Ryan,

Jeff Rapps has them for sale right now in the US ( plus he has the picture of the mother posted )

You could also get them from Mark Robinson at:
mark@rmc-aquatic.com

Or if your in Canada, Bob at Aquatropics: waterdude65@gmail.com

The parents had close to 500 young. These were the three people I sent the babies to :-)

GOOD LUCK

dalejordan
04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Dale I am glad to see your getting back into Discus..Keep me in mind if you happen to source some of those old strains have you talked to Jack? v

Hey Vern,

Did talk to Jack. He feels what he has now is not that old fashioned fish I'm looking for

Thanks for the advice though :-)

yogi
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
The strain your looking for is not that easy to find anymore. I'm sure Jack mentioned that by breeding that strain for 40 years the same thing has happened to it, as well as most other blue strains. They have become bluer and less striated. It might be a challenge for someone to try and recreate it. You just need some real good Tefe greens and some real good Manacapuru blues. More discus that are not that easy to find with real good colors.

Discus-Hans
04-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Dale,

just make a trip to Baltimore and you can hand pick some nice brilliants.

I know they are not Mr. Wattley's but what are these days?????

In my book he's still one of the nicest man in Discus World and I highly respect him but after he quit, I think there is not much left of the Wattley strains,

Hans

dalejordan
04-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Dale,

just make a trip to Baltimore and you can hand pick some nice brilliants.

I know they are not Mr. Wattley's but what are these days?????

In my book he's still one of the nicest man in Discus World and I highly respect him but after he quit, I think there is not much left of the Wattley strains,

Hans

Yeh I know my chances are slim....one never knows though :-) Some of you may remember good old Wally Runge who kept Mac Galbraiths "Powder blue" strain uninterrupted for years !!! So I'm hoping that some poor soul has a few prs in their basement somewhere in nowhere USA :-) I'm CROSSING MY FINGERS :-)

Joshcat
04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Just curious, but have you tried talking to Gabe at Jack Wattley's hatchery in Miami? I know he has some fish there that are over 15 years old and has kept certain lineage's up. I'm not sure if he has what your looking for, but may, or may know who does.

Cathy

Elite Aquaria
04-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey Vern,

Did talk to Jack. He feels what he has now is not that old fashioned fish I'm looking for

Thanks for the advice though :-)

Just curious, but have you tried talking to Gabe at Jack Wattley's hatchery in Miami? I know he has some fish there that are over 15 years old and has kept certain lineage's up. I'm not sure if he has what your looking for, but may, or may know who does.

Cathy

Cathy,

He already spoke with Jack...see above quote

Joshcat
04-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I did see that he had spoke with Jack, my thought was since Gabe Posada has run his hatchey for many years, maybe he could be of some help. My husband and I find Gabe to be a wealth of knowledge and very helpful and informative. Just a thought, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Cathy

Elite Aquaria
04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Cathy,

Good point...:)

I know Gabe Also...I may give him a call and see if he knows anyone who may have some...

CliffsDiscus
04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Dale,
Check with Murasaki, he was selling your fish in the SF Bay Area and sending the rest to Japan.

Cliff

Ryan
04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Dale,

I dropped you a Private Message about the Uaru. I hope you find what you're looking for with the turquoise discus. This thread helped me find the Uaru orange. :D

dalejordan
04-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Dale,
Check with Murasaki, he was selling your fish in the SF Bay Area and sending the rest to Japan.

Cliff

Is that guy still around ?? Sure...if you have the contact info, I'd appreciate it !!!

SriAngel
04-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Just a point of fact Wayne Ng and Jack Wattley are good friends. He developed his blue lines from Jacks' original Turq's. If you take a look at a Reflection Deep at 5" they look identical to Jacks fish from back in the day, and these fish breed true. I partly got interested in these fish because it reminded me of a magnificent pair of Turqs' that Jack sent me almost 10 years back. Best of luck in your search!

Elite Aquaria
04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Good point Angel. Now that you mention that, I remember back in the early 90's I asked Jack who would be the best person to get fish from the Far East and he mentioned Wayne. The one thing I remember him telling me was that they would not be cheap

dalejordan
04-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes I can see the relation in his fish....but it's still not a "Wattley Turq" :-) One of the TRUE Characteristics of the WT's was the 'two tone' color. The inside of the fish had a green tone that turned to blue as you radiated outwards on the fish. There was also a distinctive 'depth / luminescence' to the fish that I cant see in these other fish ( the Blue knight has a little of what I'm trying to describe )

REALLY appreciate you all trying to help....THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH ;-)

DaveZ.
04-05-2009, 05:17 PM
See I had three pairs of these discus in the early ninetys I answered and ad in of a magazine a guy in New Jersey had a Tank Full of them I bought the whole lot of them and they paired of shortly after.I had them for a couple of years until I packed up and headed to Tampa.Wow interesting you bring these up.I had sold them off before I left.I hope you can get the Strain back I would be intersted in a dozen of them.I still have all my old discus books and I look at the discus in there and you just dont see the older style strains you used to.Keep us posted if you get it together I am sure some of us on here would gladly buy from you.
Dave

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
If someone could find some of those original types it would be awesome. I got some turquoise from Gabe about 6 years ago when I first started out. They looked a lot like the original line from Jack, but as they became older they lost about half their striations. They were the closest I have seen of the original line to date.

-Ryan

Eddie
04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
If someone could find some of those original types it would be awesome. I got some turquoise from Gabe about 6 years ago when I first started out. They looked a lot like the original line from Jack, but as they became older they lost about half their striations. They were the closest I have seen of the original line to date.

-Ryan

I remember a fella named Gil that lived on the east coast that had Wattley Turks. I had some of his crossed fish that were a cross between the Wattley Turk and Angel Diamond. That was back in 04-05 so not sure if this guy is still in the discus scene. It would be great to find out though. They were gorgeous

Eddie

dalejordan
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I remember a fella named Gil that lived on the east coast that had Wattley Turks. I had some of his crossed fish that were a cross between the Wattley Turk and Angel Diamond. That was back in 04-05 so not sure if this guy is still in the discus scene. It would be great to find out though. They were gorgeous

Eddie

Now we're getting somewhere :-) Does anyone remember this guy ??

THANKS Eddie !!

RichT
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
You might be talking about Gil Curtin from Long Island.A breeder who started back in the '60's. Won a lot of awards in a bunch of shows back then. A real interesting guy. He stopped about 2-3 years ago.

Eddie
04-05-2009, 10:55 PM
You might be talking about Gil Curtin from Long Island.A breeder who started back in the '60's. Won a lot of awards in a bunch of shows back then. A real interesting guy. He stopped about 2-3 years ago.

Thats probably him, he was from that part of the country. If anyone can contact him, I am sure he sourced out to someone.

I ended up grabbing a half dozen of the crosses before I jumped on a plane from Baltimore to Portugal and all the fish survived in my carry-on. :D

Somebody on the east coast should have something for sure.

Eddie

mbunak
04-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I gave my father in law a bunch of Wattley turqs for present almost 20 years ago. He bred them for 10 years before selling all of them off. I remember them being very beautiful and now that I would like to acquire Wattleys I can't find them. I wish I had obtained a few from my father in law. Good luck with your search and let me know if you find any.

Dr. Peter Kim

Condor
04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Does anyone have pictures of Wattley Turks?

Adrian

dalejordan
04-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Does anyone have pictures of Wattley Turks?

Adrian

here's that original picture again

blkrob
04-06-2009, 03:53 AM
Found this in the old achieved section. Maybe this could help you.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 PM #260
Dolphin Dip Undisclosed
Registered Member

[United States]

Default Re: Whats your Next Discus going to be?
im picking up 3 more jack w. turqoise tuesday.
Dolphin Dip is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

CliffsDiscus
04-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Is that guy still around ?? Sure...if you have the contact info, I'd appreciate it !!!

Dale,
Check your PM

Cliff

Condor
04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
here's that original picture again

I guess what I meant to say, is are there any more examples of what this strain looks like.

Adrian

dalejordan
04-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Dale,
Check your PM

Cliff

Cliff,

Just tried Murisaki's ph #....no longer in service :-(

Back to the drawing board ;-)

thanks again

DaveZ.
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
You know what is funny about this thread if you didnt want them there would be like 20 people on here trying to get rid of them.Good old Murphy's LAw
DAve:bandana:

DaveZ.
04-06-2009, 07:47 PM
What ever happend to the guy named Gan he had at the time the golden discus this was years ago when wattley's pandas came on scene he bought alot of jacks fish and crossed them with his own.Maybe someone has them from him.Just an idea.You could try to get some quality wilds and start the strain im sure jacks recipe for that is out here somewherejust would take some time. just a thought.:bandana:

Discus-Hans
04-06-2009, 08:29 PM
The grass on the other side of the hill is always greener.

You only miss it when it's gone.

Everything in the OLD days was always better.

I can come up with a few more lol

Hans

dalejordan
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Just a fish I always liked....before I had them, when I had them and now I dont have them. Kinda think a few people feel the same way judging by the response to this thread :-)

Discus-Hans
04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Dale I wished you would live closer by, I'm sure you could find something between the brilliant, solid and cobalt's Stendker is breeding,

Hans

yogi
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
What ever happend to the guy named Gan he had at the time the golden discus this was years ago when wattley's pandas came on scene he bought alot of jacks fish and crossed them with his own.Maybe someone has them from him.Just an idea.You could try to get some quality wilds and start the strain im sure jacks recipe for that is out here somewherejust would take some time. just a thought.:bandana:

Gan is now breeding Arowanas and Endlers. The Arowana has become very popular, there just not allowed to be sold in the U.S., and he created an all new strain of the Endler livebearer.

kirkp
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Actually, I think arrowanas are allowed to be sold in the US if they are micro chipped and verified as being farm raised. They're also very expensive. Of course, I could be wrong (about the selling part)

Kirk

MSD
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Gil Curtin is retired as stated, he sold what ever breeders he had to a local couple that could not keep up with the work involved and sold or lost the fish. His son works in a bank I go to and we chat now and then, I used to go to Gil when his son was a young boy. Gil had a setup years ago that was amazing, the first breeding setup for discus I ever saw. We got friendly and he showed me his awards and pics af him and Wattley while browsing his tanks with the breeding pairs tending to their young. He hatched his own brine shrimp and fed the young on a continuous schedule. He was mad at the people he sold to at the end when he got rid of the fish, he only sold these long time pairs because they promised to keep breeding. It was such a pleasure to listen to his many stories. And while you were there, people from all over the east visited him by appointment to buy his fish.

Graham
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Bonytongue, Asian (Arowana)
What are the permit requirements to import an Asian bonytongue or arowana? The Asian bonytongue (Scleropages formosus) is listed as endangered under the ESA and in CITES Appendix I.

These fish may not be imported for commercial or personal pet purposes.
Click here to obtain a fact sheet that outlines the purposes for which an ESA permit may be issued. If you intend to import an Asian bonytongue for one of the specified purposes, click here for an application form. You also need to obtain a CITES document from the foreign country. Although some Asian bonytongues are bred in foreign facilities that are registered with the CITES Secretariat to commercialize this Appendix-I species, they may not be imported into the United States unless the intended use of the import meets the ESA permit requirements, and an ESA permit has been granted.

http://www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/pdf/esa.pdf

dalejordan
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Gil Curtin is retired as stated, he sold what ever breeders he had to a local couple that could not keep up with the work involved and sold or lost the fish. His son works in a bank I go to and we chat now and then, I used to go to Gil when his son was a young boy. Gil had a setup years ago that was amazing, the first breeding setup for discus I ever saw. We got friendly and he showed me his awards and pics af him and Wattley while browsing his tanks with the breeding pairs tending to their young. He hatched his own brine shrimp and fed the young on a continuous schedule. He was ad the people he sold to at the end got rid of the fish, he only sold these long time pairs because they promised to keep breeding. It was such a pleasure to listen to his many stories. And while you were there, people from all over the east visited him by appointment to buy his fish.

I really appreciate this info. This is the kind of lead we need and I'm sure there has to be others out there with similar stories ( and maybe some fish :-)

thank you again

MSD
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I can give you his son's number at the bank, he is Gil Curtin jr., if you like, just msg me so he doesn't get too many calls.

DaveZ.
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Here is a thought I was just checking out www.wattleydiscus.com I saw there is a guest book it goes all the way back to 2003 maybe you can find someone on there who has what your looking for.You just have to sit there and read thru all the posts.There is a lot of them.Or call Gabe he might be albe to send you in the right direction or even know of someone who has a pair of them now?Never know.\

DaveZ.
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I bet you could a pair from Herbert Axlerod if you can find I heard he Fled the USA to avoid tax evasion.And he is somewhere in Brazil.

DaveZ.
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
As I surf there site they still offer them ?

dalejordan
04-10-2009, 12:44 PM
FOUND EM :-)

Looks like a found a nice source that still has a "relatively" pure Wattley line. From what I'm told , there was only ONE crossing to a Blue Diamond and those offspring back to a pure Wattley .... and thats it. They still hold the green-blue two-tone color, shape etc....I couldnt ask for BETTER :-) I think a simple back cross to a quality wild green once in while should keep these things nice !!!

I will give all information after I receive them in mid May.

Want to thank everyone for their information and support !!!!

Take care all :-)

SriAngel
04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Congratulations! How were you able to locate them, and what size are they? I am just dying to see some pictures.

dalejordan
04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Congratulations! How were you able to locate them, and what size are they? I am just dying to see some pictures.

Found within the US. They are very young now and wont be shipped to me until late May. This is why I DONT want to say anything until I land them. Want to MAKE SURE of what I got before I get peoples hope up .....hope everyone understands :-)

DaveZ.
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Well congrats, keep us in the loop,your persistance paid off.Ihope thet are what your looking for.
Dave:bandana:

Elite Aquaria
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
That is great news...good luck with them

April
04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
heh thats great dale . i cant wait to see pics of the ones you land and watch them grow.
get a thread going..i think it would be of great interest to everyone on here. thats the type of things we like to have going on here. journals , genetics etc.
my very first discus i got were meant to be wattley turqs. i learnt on them..runted t hem..etc. but the lady i got them from was artificially rearing them all. that was 12 years or more ago in vancouver. maybe she got them fromm you.

Eddie
04-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Great news Dale, can't wait til you get them. Excited for you and your venture.

Eddie

MostlyDiscus
04-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Hi Dale, Vern and I were debating a bit about how some of the JW Turqs were different. I felt(and still do) that you could get solids,spots etc... from Breeding Jacks fish. A few pics of old Turqs. I had to break down and buy a scaner for my old 35mm negitives but its worth seeing the old stuff. I think these were first generation, parents were direct from Jack. When you get your Turqs in I am intrested... The last picture is of high fin turqs Jack picked up from somewhere and not his original Turq strain.

Ed

Eddie
04-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi Dale, Vern and I were debating a bit about how some of the JW Turqs were different. I felt(and still do) that you could get solids,spots etc... from Breeding Jacks fish. A few pics of old Turqs. I had to break down and buy a scaner for my old 35mm negitives but its worth seeing the old stuff. I think these were first generation, parents were direct from Jack. When you get your Turqs in I am intrested... The last picture is of high fin turqs Jack picked up from somewhere and not his original Turq strain.

Ed

Wow Ed, super nice JW turqs. Thanks for the pictures.

Eddie

hedut
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I can't say no, It's beautiful:D:D where I found that?
Hendri

kaceyo
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Ed

You will get variation like you're talking about with anyones line of turqs, and most other strains as well.

Kacey

MostlyDiscus
04-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Kaceyo,

Agreed my friend. That is what the topic was about. Breeding true ie true STRAINS and how even then you get slight differences. How many good strains are out there still though?

Ed

William Palumbo
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I wish that I had kept my Wattley Discus going thru the years. But back then, like now...my tastes along with most of the Discus scene was always changing. Wattley had great fish. Even as great as they were, people...myself included , were always looking for something new. Most sought the German strains(Degan, Schlingmann, Gobel, Focke ect)...which had a lot of Wattley blood in them ironically. Then when the Asian Discus craze began, Wattleys were pretty much forgotten. The Asian Discus were the best bang for your buck, as they were more colorful, because they were bigger and most times less $$$ than Wattley and the German strains. We all knew the small size that Wattley sold his Discus at. The introduction of the Blue Diamond eventually overshadowed all of the other "solid" blue strains at the time...as that was what most were striving for...the SOLID blue Discus. To me, I find it doubtful that any "true" Wattleys still exists, or at least the ones Mr. Jordan is seeking. I would be suspect of anyone who is claiming to have them...Bill

CliffsDiscus
04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Here's a picture of my homebred Wattley, over twenty years ago.
These were bred a few generations before becoming solid color,
color guarantee at dime size.
Cliff

MostlyDiscus
04-13-2009, 09:32 PM
nice Cliff. Any other pics? Good stuff buddy.

Ed

Eddie
04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Here's a picture of my homebred Wattley, over twenty years ago.
These were bred a few generations before becoming solid color,
color guarantee at dime size.
Cliff

Gorgeous Cliff, they look beautiful.

Eddie

yogi
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Well I got some good news and some bad news. I found what your looking for. I still can't believe it. I'm still sticking by what I said in post #9. Over time the blue strains have become bluer by breeding them with each other. The fish in these pictures are just a few miles from Jack's house. Now here is the bad news the person doesn't ship discus, plus he no longer has the adult pair there back with the Watley hatchery.

April
04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
well your close..grab em yogi..you can ship cant you? lol. or keep em and grow more .

Eddie
04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Well I got some good news and some bad news. I found what your looking for. I still can't believe it. I'm still sticking by what I said in post #9. Over time the blue strains have become bluer by breeding them with each other. The fish in these pictures are just a few miles from Jack's house. Now here is the bad news the person doesn't ship discus, plus he no longer has the adult pair there back with the Watley hatchery.

That looks like them alright, beautiful too. Alot like my wattley turk crosses I had years ago.

Thanks for the pics Jerry

Eddie

MSD
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Too bad the dime sized fish I got from Jack in the 1980's all died by my ignorance at the time. :confused:

Vieira
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Cathy

I just came back from Jack Wattley hatchery, I bought 5 to bring back home.
Gabe is a real good nice guy.

SriAngel
06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
I just came back from Jack Wattley hatchery, I bought 5 to bring back home.
Gabe is a real good nice guy.

Vieira, were these Wattley Turqs? If so can you please post pictures would love to see them. I miss Jack and his raspy calm voice, he gave such good advice and sent some of the largest most colorful specimens i've ever owned.

Vieira
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Vieira, were these Wattley Turqs? If so can you please post pictures would love to see them. I miss Jack and his raspy calm voice, he gave such good advice and sent some of the largest most colorful specimens i've ever owned.

No i dint get turqs I don't think I saw some there etheir. But if your looking for some you should call Gabe to make sure. I didn't get to meet Jack but I left one of my books he wrote to get sighn with Gabe. I just got it back the other day with his signature.

SriAngel
06-19-2009, 12:36 AM
No i dint get turqs I don't think I saw some there etheir. But if your looking for some you should call Gabe to make sure. I didn't get to meet Jack but I left one of my books he wrote to get sighn with Gabe. I just got it back the other day with his signature.

Sigh,

When you speak to Gabe, can you mention there is a community of discus lovers that would like some good old Jack Wattley Turks bred and raised in the USA from their original stock. I dont understand why he doesn't carry the signature world renowned line of fish.

Regards,
Angel

shawnhu
06-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Any updates on this? Did Dale ever get the fish?

2075turner
06-25-2009, 12:36 AM
FOUND EM :-)

Looks like a found a nice source that still has a "relatively" pure Wattley line. From what I'm told , there was only ONE crossing to a Blue Diamond and those offspring back to a pure Wattley .... and thats it. They still hold the green-blue two-tone color, shape etc....I couldnt ask for BETTER :-) I think a simple back cross to a quality wild green once in while should keep these things nice !!!

I will give all information after I receive them in mid May.

Want to thank everyone for their information and support !!!!

Take care all :-)

I am interested to find out if you got your fish as well:confused::)

dalejordan
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
You bet !!! Actually stumbled on a source with what I feel to be 95% Original Wattley turq ( the shape being my only concern )

Originally, I had mentioned that my source was a cross between a W.Turq and a blue Diamond. luckily, I found a small hobbyist/breeder that had what I was looking for :-) They had the true Wattley coloration, sheen and even the 'mild/medium' red eyes. The juvenile striation is exactly the way it should be at the age they are now. The only thing that is a little out of kilter is they are slightly higher bodied than the original line. As you guys all know, this is easily rectified with a back cross to a wild full sheen royal green. This cross will be my first goal as they reach spawning age late this fall.

I will be going on holidays in a day or two but will post pictures and give a little more info. when I get back :-)

Take care all !!!!!

Mr Wild
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
You bet !!! Actually stumbled on a source with what I feel to be 95% Original Wattley turq ( the shape being my only concern )

Originally, I had mentioned that my source was a cross between a W.Turq and a blue Diamond. luckily, I found a small hobbyist/breeder that had what I was looking for :-) They had the true Wattley coloration, sheen and even the 'mild/medium' red eyes. The juvenile striation is exactly the way it should be at the age they are now. The only thing that is a little out of kilter is they are slightly higher bodied than the original line. As you guys all know, this is easily rectified with a back cross to a wild full sheen royal green. This cross will be my first goal as they reach spawning age late this fall.

I will be going on holidays in a day or two but will post pictures and give a little more info. when I get back :-)

Take care all !!!!!

Well done! Of course you know we all want pics then we will all want babies so enjoy your holidays now because when you get back you will be a busy busy boy! Good Luck!

j_li8
06-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Nothing like the original Wattley turq's. i think my grandpa had some of these guys back in the early 90's from what i can remember. i was only a few years old then.

cmd4r
08-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Dale -

Any updates on the Wattley turquoise project?

texasdiscusman
08-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Don't think that project is going any more.Think he had issues with them.I belive Vern Archer took over for him.Could be wrong but that is what I remember.Someone else might chime in to correct me or have more info

Discus Origins
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Dale is out of the discus breeding for the time being.