PDA

View Full Version : Hardness and eggs

DiscusChris
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
My angels just hatched some wigglers, does this mean my hardness is at acceptable limits for hatching my discus eggs(when they come)?

I understand the differences between discus and angels as far as acceptable water quality goes, Im just wondering about water parameters when it comes to cichlid eggs.

Thanks!

Chad Hughes
04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
What are your current parameters? GH, KH, TDS and Ph would be good to know. You may already have discus breeding water but gauging it on angel spawns would be a pit of a stretch.

Best wishes!

DiscusChris
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Chad,

you had actually told me in another thread about my KH possibly being low, thats why I was trying to see if the angel eggs would be any sign that my water is for sure good. Here is what you said:

You are reading it correctly and it sounds like you have good breeding water. The KH might be a bit low, so watch your Ph for drops. If you get unstable Ph in your tanks, just add a bit of baking soda. It'll fix you right up!

Best wishes!

Thanks Chad!

Chad Hughes
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, just keep an eye on the Ph. If it starts to drop/rise then you might get swings. That's something that you want to prevent. dKH in the 3 to 5 range is good to go without a risk of a swing.

Best wishes!