PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filters how often and how to clean them....

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 09:02 AM
This is the first time I have ever used them and only did it because I had a pair of discus laying eggs...

Now that one is sick I am thinking I was not cleaning them enough nor properly...

Any ideas/help is appreciated...

Thanks

Daniel

Eddie
04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
This is the first time I have ever used them and only did it because I had a pair of discus laying eggs...

Now that one is sick I am thinking I was not cleaning them enough nor properly...

Any ideas/help is appreciated...

Thanks

Daniel

You can squeeze them in a large bucket of used tank water. I only squeeze mine monthly. How long has it been since you started using it? Do you feed heavy?

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I feed the discus once a day...they consume it all and if not..I siphon it out right away

I have used them for around 6 weeks...probably bought the first 2 way to big ...they would fit a 130 gallon so I got some that are the right size for the tanks now..

Also if you have time I put up some pics of my discus with the white spots on them on my other thread...tell me what you think...

Once a month is ok then...thanks

Oh...they are in a 20 gallon breeding tank and a 15 gallon high hospital tank which looks like its going to get some use..

Thanks aloy

Eddie
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I feed the discus once a day...they consume it all and if not..I siphon it out right away

I have used them for around 6 weeks...probably bought the first 2 way to big ...they would fit a 130 gallon so I got some that are the right size for the tanks now..

Also if you have time I put up some pics of my discus with the white spots on them on my other thread...tell me what you think...

Once a month is ok then...thanks

Oh...they are in a 20 gallon breeding tank and a 15 gallon high hospital tank which looks like its going to get some use..

Thanks aloy

But, I have 8 fish in each 55 gallon tank and I feed 10 times a day doing 130% WC every day so my my sponge filters may be a bit more loaded with junk than yours. ;)

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
8 times a day? wow...ok, then how many times should I be feeding these two?
Your movin` alot of buckets daily -L- Probably why you have and can breed discs!

Eddie
04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
8 times a day? wow...ok, then how many times should I be feeding these two?
Your movin` alot of buckets daily -L- Probably why you have and can breed discs!

I feed 10 times a day not 8. No, don't breed discus. No buckets, just siphon with a huge tube and fill with a python.

Feeding depends on the age of the discus. How old are your fish? Adults do not need the same feeding regiment as juvenile fish.

silent_thunder
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
well..how old are mine...they are 5 inches so I am guessing adults...

however I am restoring and antique 55 and am going to by another 55 so...looks like I know what I am getting into...

Eddie
04-06-2009, 08:48 AM
well..how old are mine...they are 5 inches so I am guessing adults...

however I am restoring and antique 55 and am going to by another 55 so...looks like I know what I am getting into...

Oh, okay...I'm sure you can feed them a 3 to 4 times a day just fine. ;)

Eddie

srusso
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Bass, how to you feed 10 times a day??!!! You work from home? Do you make a living off breeding discus?? You are killing my hopes of one day breeding them :(

well I guess I would feel stupid if you just said you have an auto feeder....

Also do you declor before adding water to your tank?

PS... your Discus look great, just took a looked at your photobucket

Eddie
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Bass, how to you feed 10 times a day??!!! You work from home? Do you make a living off breeding discus?? You are killing my hopes of one day breeding them :(

well I guess I would feel stupid if you just said you have an auto feeder....

Also do you declor before adding water to your tank?

PS... your Discus look great, just took a looked at your photobucket

Thanks for the comment S,

I work nights from 3-12PM. I wake at 0630 everyday and feed every hour to an hour and a half. When I am away at work, my Eheim autofeeders feed 4 times.

I drain my tanks completely, I add dechlor (Seachem Prime) and fill my tanks directly from tap.

Eddie