PDA

View Full Version : Can flukes affect just some fish

fishyj
04-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi all, I noticed that the same fish keep flashing and closing one gill. Wondering if flukes can just affect some of the fish in a tank. Its been the same 3 fish that keep having problems. The other 10 are not affected at all. Could flukes bother the weaker fish in the tank. Should I treat the whole tank or just the 3 that are infected. I did put them in QT. These 3 are smaller then the rest. If I have flukes in my main tank will they just keep getting them again? Would salt help in this case? They all are still eating fine and no white poo. Tank temp 86, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, This is a 125 that is vacuumed at least twice a day with about 20 gallons taken out each time and on Sundays it gets a 50 % water change.

Peachtree Discus
04-05-2009, 01:16 PM
1st i would determine if it is flukes and then i would treat any fish that are exhibiting the signs and any fish that has been in the same tank.

my understanding of flukes is that they have to have an opportunity to transfer to another fish. in such case, maybe the other fish have just been lucky enuf to not get them yet but probably your fish are health enuf to handle the level of infestation (for now). either way, if some fish have a parasite, IMO it's just a matter of time before they all get it. if you suspect an issue, find out the real problem and get on it while the fish are healthy. dont wait until the the disease takes over, cuz you may lose some fish even with the treatment.

Graham
04-05-2009, 02:54 PM
We deal with mainly two kinds of flukes, gill/Dactylogyrus and skin/Gyrodactylus and they may be found anywhere on a fish regardless or what their name suggest.

Gill flukes lay eggs and these will be found in the water column and therefore they can attack any fish.

Skin flukes are live bearers and may spend their and their offspring whole life on a single fish. A neat fact is that the embryo within it mother may have embryos within it. These critters are generally spread through direct physical contact with another fish, so not all fish may have them

Think of flukes like fleas on a cat or dog, they all have, them but are generally at levels that the animal can handle and not be bother by them. Small and/or weaken immune system animals offer an opportunity for the flukes or fleas to get an upper hand and become a problem. This may be what's happening with your 3 smaller fish.

So to answer you question directly yes it's possible for just a few to have a problem level of flukes.

Salt will have no affect what so ever on flukes, so there's no need to add it.

Flukes are easy to ID with a scope, but if that's not available then products like Prazi or Prazi Pro are safe to use, and will not affect overall water quality.

G

Eddie
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
We deal with mainly two kinds of flukes, gill/Dactylogyrus and skin/Gyrodactylus and they may be found anywhere on a fish regardless or what their name suggest.

Gill flukes lay eggs and these will be found in the water column and therefore they can attack any fish.

Skin flukes are live bearers and may spend their and their offspring whole life on a single fish. A neat fact is that the embryo within it mother may have embryos within it. These critters are generally spread through direct physical contact with another fish, so not all fish may have them

Think of flukes like fleas on a cat or dog, they all have, them but are generally at levels that the animal can handle and not be bother by them. Small and/or weaken immune system animals offer an opportunity for the flukes or fleas to get an upper hand and become a problem. This may be what's happening with your 3 smaller fish.

So to answer you question directly yes it's possible for just a few to have a problem level of flukes.

Salt will have no affect what so ever on flukes, so there's no need to add it.

Flukes are easy to ID with a scope, but if that's not available then products like Prazi or Prazi Pro are safe to use, and will not affect overall water quality.

G

Graham, I read somewhere that a high salt solution dip had a 70% effectiveness on flukes. It stood right next to forrmalin dips. I will see if I can find the document.

Eddie

Graham
04-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Eddie if you want to get it up into the range of pure salt water, 3.0%, then yes, it'll work for anything. The typical salt levels that we use are useless

fishyj
04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the help, now I just need to buy a scope. My wish list just keeps growing.