PDA

View Full Version : Orange algae any tips to prevent and clean?

Alfred
04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I have this stuff all over my egg crate divider and can't figure out a good way to clean it. By hand would take years.

I wonder if I could spray it with a bleach solution and rinse with a hose?
Would rinsing get rid of the bleach or does it need to be scrubbed off?

I'm afraid it would kill the algae and remain in the dead algae even after rinsing coming out back in the tank.

Roxanne
04-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Gday Alfred...It's not different to sterilising a tank with bleach really.....just rinse it off real well...lots of times...and get any stubborn bits with an old tooth brush...;)

Eddie
04-06-2009, 04:32 AM
I have this stuff all over my egg crate divider and can't figure out a good way to clean it. By hand would take years.

I wonder if I could spray it with a bleach solution and rinse with a hose?
Would rinsing get rid of the bleach or does it need to be scrubbed off?

I'm afraid it would kill the algae and remain in the dead algae even after rinsing coming out back in the tank.

Use one of these, only a little elbow grease. ;)

http://images.google.com/images?q=dish%20brush&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Eddie

KDodds
04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
It sounds like you have a coralline algae, algae that builds a Calcium carbonate skeleton. This is fairly common in FW pools that have very hard water, and get a lot of sun, (where it's usually pink, purple, or orange) but not so much in FW aquaria. Unfortunately, you can't use the same algacides you'd use in pools. I'd try soaking a portion in vinegar to see if it works to dilodge the algae. With corallines, the only other recourse is scrubbing.