PDA

View Full Version : Pressurized CO2 questions

ilaizm
04-06-2009, 03:46 AM
I am setting up my first pressurized CO2 system.

I made some research and found that the ideal levels of CO2 for plants are in the 20-30ppm range. What would be the best to set it on having in mind the discus.

How much should I fill the bubble counter?

How many bubbles per second should I aim for in a bubble counter?

thanks

mcsinny99
04-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Well first of all what is the size of the tank? A lot depends on the tanks size, lighting, how long the lights run and how heavily planted the tank is. Wish I had a better answer, but there are too many parameters here.

ilaizm
04-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Size of tank - 90G
Lighting - 2.5WPG
I'm planning to run the lights for 12hours
Tank will be medium to heavily planted

KDodds
04-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Most recommendations are to start with 2-3 bubbles per second and work up or down from there, testing daily. You can't hit your target if you're not testing frequently. As well, you can't be safe if you're not monitoring in some way.

ilaizm
04-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Is a drop checker the best way to monitor and test?

mcsinny99
04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
2-3 bubbles per second is a good starting point drop checker or not I always watch them the first day or two, if they are at the top gasping, you have too much co2, I had an air pump ready to off gas when I started my tanks.:)
Drop checkers are good, but not 100%. You will need 4dkh water and equal ph to get a good but not 100% accurate reading.
Also, you have some good lighting so I would start with a lower photo period and work up to avoid an algae bloom, and if your co2 is on a solenoid with a timer it's good to start it about 30 minutes before lights on.
Good Luck, I'll be watching for pics!!!

Harriett
04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Are you going to be using a CO2 controller or are you relying on your bubble counter and needle valve, etc?
I ran mine without a controller for a couple years---as the gas supply in the CO2 tank changed, the parameters of CO2 in the tank changed--I had one 'CO2 dump' where there was a small amount of gas left in the tank and it all went in at once, a phenomena I had heard of but blithely assumed I wouldn't experience. It was a heart attack shock to walk in and see all my adult discus laying on the bottom of the tank dying. We were able with extremely quick action, to save most, but it was a terible day. I now use a controller and don't have to worry; I set the range I want the pH to be and it's all automatic from there. If personal experience counts, please take this little story to heart--many of us have gone through this.
Best regards,
Harriett