PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think

Schooly21
04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Alright so Im new to Discus, well not even new yet, don't have any, but been thinking about it. I've been trying to find as much information about them that I can, I've been watching this forum for a while though I just became a member. I have talked to locals that have kept, and bred discus at one point, and I thinking Im ready, but I want everyone to tell me what you think about my plans.

I have a 90 gallon tank running a marineland C-360 filter. It's been up and running as a community tank with angels for about a year now, and its densely planted. My plan, would be to take all the fish except for 2 bushynose plecos and a lot of the plants out, I would like to have a micro sword area on the bottom. I have some rotala indica that I would like to keep in there along with a giant amazon sword. I want it to be mainly a sand bottom, so I can keep an eye on crap settling on the bottom.

I want to put 7 discus in it, probably adult since they are my first ones, not sure what types yet though. I would plan on doing two 50% WC a week, feeding would be 3 times a day.

Does that sounds alright? Any tips or suggestions on the set up??

Kindredspirit
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi! Personally, I would not start out with adults as they can be expensive. Until you master the art of caring for your discus, it might be best to start with babies, bare bottom and daily water changes, until you learn the basics ~

IMO many run into problems when doing only 2 wc per week when first starting out and having plants and substrate.

Hope this helps a little ~ more will chime in:)

Schooly21
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Well see thats why I was thinking adults, because everything I've read seems to indicate they are slightly less difficult. Granted you are right in that they are much more expencive.

Autumn Wind
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I think your plan would work just fine. If you've had success with a planted Angelfish tank, Discus would not be much different.
I see you have done your homework since most here would recommend adult discus for an established planted tank. Adults don't need constant feeding and water changes like juveniles. 7 adults is a good number.
I have the same filter on my planted tank and I feed 3 times a day and only do one 30-40% water changes a week. I also have a few loaches in the tank that help in keeping the bottom cleaner by eating excess food and stirring up the bottom so the filter can do it's thing.
good luck!
vanessa

Schooly21
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Thank you, do you think some cory cats would work instead of loaches?

Autumn Wind
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
yep! I have cories in my other tank. :)
Cory Sterbai seem to do the best at the higher temps, I've also have Cory Julii if you can't find Sterbai. Cory are a better choice for more timid discus not as active as the loaches. I'm lucky my discus are very bold and not much bothers them.

Schooly21
04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh great because I have some Sterbai in a different tank that I thought would look nice in the discus set up.