PDA

View Full Version : Not discus, but just as much fun! Introducting my new Uaru sp. 'orange'

Ryan
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Hello Simply,

I'm finally settled in my new house and I've already started collecting my new fishy friends. Discus are on the back burner for now until I hear further word from Al and/or Kenny, so I've been concentrating on some other neat South American cichlids.

A lot of you have probably heard Al and I talk about Uaru for several years. They're a wonderful cichlid.

There are two recognized species: Uaru amphiacanthoides, which are fairly common in the aquarium trade, grow up to 12" or so and are often called "poor man's discus." You need a pretty big tank for these guys, but they're fairly mellow for large cichlids and I've kept them with discus in the past.

The other, rarer species is Uaru fernandezyepezi, also called Panda Uaru. I grew a group of F1's out last year to about 4 - 5" and then sent them to Al. You may remember that he posted them here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66628).

Thanks to Dale Jordan's thread here at Simply regarding Wattley Turquoise, I learned that he'd spawned an undescribed Uaru called Uaru sp. 'orange' which is very similar to the normal Uaru but with a lighter, more orange base color. These fish were only available in small quantities as wild-caught adults and Dale managed to get a pair.

The fish were shipped from Canada (where Dale's located) to Mark Robinson of RMC Aquatics in Indiana. I managed to purchase a small group of fry from Mark and they arrived today.

It's been a pleasure talking to both Mark and Dale, and it's always wonderful to find other hobbyists who are working with unusual and uncommon cichlid species. For those with the tank space who want to try something different, I'd recommend contacting Mark (mark@rmc-aquatic.com) and getting a small group of these guys. You can raise them exactly like discus -- bare bottom tank, water changes, warm water, and a good variety of both meaty foods and fruits/veggies.

Here is a picture of the babies in my QT tank:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/uaru/1277b0ca.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlhYNXV5WM

Here is an adult shot from Dale:

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/uaru.orange1.jpg

These guys just arrived today and they're already devouring any kind of food I stick in the tank. They were in perfect condition right out of the box. Mark's packaging was amazing.

I'll try to update this thread as they grow. It shouldn't take long -- my experience with Uaru is that they put on size very fast.

rickztahone
04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
those look beautiful Ryan. good luck with them and please keep us updated

Scribbles
04-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Wow! What cool fish. I can't wait to see the pictures as they grow. Thanks for sharing.

poconogal
04-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Pretty fish, I like their coloration much better than the regular Uarus. I assume its the male in the front of the pic?

Ryan
04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Pretty fish, I like their coloration much better than the regular Uarus. I assume its the male in the front of the pic?

There are two different Uaru species in the adult pic. The one in the back is Uaru fernandezyepezi. The one in the front is a Uaru sp. 'orange', which is what my fry are. :)

Eyecandy
04-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Ryan... That "orange" is beautiful..:thumbsup::thumbsup: If your fry turn out like that (fins crossed for you) you are gonna have some beautiful fish.. Congrats and keep the pics coming please... Sue:D

dpt8
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah !! That orange base is VERY stricking.. Good luck with them and breed lots !!! David T

Yassmeena
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
My LFS carried those - they are beautiful!

Hello Simply,

I'm finally settled in my new house and I've already started collecting my new fishy friends. Discus are on the back burner for now until I hear further word from Al and/or Kenny, so I've been concentrating on some other neat South American cichlids.

A lot of you have probably heard Al and I talk about Uaru for several years. They're a wonderful cichlid.

There are two recognized species: Uaru amphiacanthoides, which are fairly common in the aquarium trade, grow up to 12" or so and are often called "poor man's discus." You need a pretty big tank for these guys, but they're fairly mellow for large cichlids and I've kept them with discus in the past.

The other, rarer species is Uaru fernandezyepezi, also called Panda Uaru. I grew a group of F1's out last year to about 4 - 5" and then sent them to Al. You may remember that he posted them here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66628).

Thanks to Dale Jordan's thread here at Simply regarding Wattley Turquoise, I learned that he'd spawned an undescribed Uaru called Uaru sp. 'orange' which is very similar to the normal Uaru but with a lighter, more orange base color. These fish were only available in small quantities as wild-caught adults and Dale managed to get a pair.

The fish were shipped from Canada (where Dale's located) to Mark Robinson of RMC Aquatics in Indiana. I managed to purchase a small group of fry from Mark and they arrived today.

It's been a pleasure talking to both Mark and Dale, and it's always wonderful to find other hobbyists who are working with unusual and uncommon cichlid species. For those with the tank space who want to try something different, I'd recommend contacting Mark (mark@rmc-aquatic.com) and getting a small group of these guys. You can raise them exactly like discus -- bare bottom tank, water changes, warm water, and a good variety of both meaty foods and fruits/veggies.

Here is a picture of the babies in my QT tank:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/uaru/1277b0ca.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlhYNXV5WM

Here is an adult shot from Dale:

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/uaru.orange1.jpg

These guys just arrived today and they're already devouring any kind of food I stick in the tank. They were in perfect condition right out of the box. Mark's packaging was amazing.

I'll try to update this thread as they grow. It shouldn't take long -- my experience with Uaru is that they put on size very fast.

dalejordan
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

Thought I'd post more pictures of Mom and Dad for ya :-)

Dale Jordan

dalejordan
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Well....that didnt work :-( Sorry having tech problems, will forward to Ryan and maybe he could post

Sorry

Ryan
04-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Dale,

Forward them to my email and I'll post them for you. :)

Ryan

Ryan
04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Dale e-mailed me some pictures of the parents. Here they are:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/ed45bd50.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/69249565.jpg

Seriously, Uaru are probably my second favorite fish after discus. I think they even rank higher on my list than angels, which used to be my #1 a long time ago. The only real con is that they need quite a bit of tank space, but otherwise they're great. The little ones act a lot like discus. They tend to do best in groups and have tons of personality. Mine have only been here two days and they already know that my face = food. ;)

You've never seen a cichlid with an appetite quite like this. One of the things I love about them as they get bigger (2 - 4") is that they'll tear food right from your hand. They're definitely not shy about eating.

Ryan

poconogal
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
There are two different Uaru species in the adult pic. The one in the back is Uaru fernandezyepezi. The one in the front is a Uaru sp. 'orange', which is what my fry are. :)
Great, because while the one in the back is nice, the front one is beautiful!

Eyecandy
04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi Ryan... So how are the little orange guys doing?? How big of a tank would they need?? I think I see geos (yes I am a geo addict as you know) in that tank shot of Dales... Do they do well together... hummmmmm... How big of a tank for them and some orangeheads???
I think I'm in trouble:laugh::laugh:... Maybe after we move.. a tank for discus and a tank for this combo>>> Better start working on my husband now...LOL..
How fast do they grow??.. They are beautiful...More pics please...Sue:D

Ryan
04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
My experience is that they grow pretty quickly. I bought some this size a few years ago and had them up to like 3 - 4" in a matter of a couple months.

You'll need a large tank. I think Dale told me that he keeps his in a 180. I'm moving mine to a 150 soon but there are seven of them which is going to be too much as the fish grow. I'll probably just keep pairs per tank.

The only downside to uaru in my opinion is that they need a lot of room.

thebigone
04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I hope it works out for you Ryan. Those look like some nice fish to keep. I bet they have an aggressive personality too.

Ryan
04-12-2009, 11:44 AM
I hope it works out for you Ryan. Those look like some nice fish to keep. I bet they have an aggressive personality too.

Actually, Uaru are pretty mellow for large fish. I raised my last batch with discus and the time before that they were with angels and rams. They pretty much keep to themselves and push one another around, much like groups of discus.

I'll keep everyone updated as they grow. Which won't take long the way they tear into food. :)

Eyecandy
04-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi Ryan... Thanks for the info.. something to think about... So is it too soon for an update.... In dales 180 how many of these and how many and what kind of geo if you know.. Thanks and again congrats... Sue:D

Ryan
04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Sue, Dale is a member here so I'm sure he can tell you more. I think he only had the pair in the 180 with a panda uaru and some other cichlids.

Mine haven't changed a whole lot but they're not shy anymore. They're happy to see me when I walk in the room.

I am finishing my 150 this weekend so I'll be moving my severums into it and upgrading the uaru from their quarantine tank into a 55 gallon to grow out a bit more. Once they're 3 - 4" they'll be in the 150 with the severums, and then they'll be split into smaller groups as they get larger.