PDA

View Full Version : Keeping An Empty Tank Cycled?

adamsite
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Hello All,
I now have an empty 46g tank, which I normally use as my QT, but I don't see myself getting any new fish in the near future and all other fish are healthy and going strong. So...what do I do with the empty tank? I want to have it ready in case of sickness, signs of breeding, or new arrivals. Do I keep it filled with my canister running? How will the biologics continue to thrive? What steps or routines do I need to take? Sorry if this is a mundane question, but I guess I've never really had an empty tank like this before. Everyday I am tempted to stock it with something else, but I must curb my temptation.:antlers:
Thanks,
-Adam

Eddie
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
The easiest thing to do is move the filters or media to any tank that is still running. ;)

Pointless to keep it going filled if you do not have a plan for occupants yet. Also, could collect some unwanted baddies over time.

Eddie

adamsite
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the input Eddie...my only question is wouldn't two running filters, in this case to canisters, on one 46g show tank be overkill and possibly create too much current? I just thought I would keep the QT dry and drain 50% water from my show tank when needed and transfer some of the media into the dry canister...in kind of a shock cycle method. Will this work?
-Adam

Eddie
04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, it really depends on the type of canister (flow rate). And how you have the outlet flowing, via spray bars or.....

Over filtration is impossible, too much water current is the issue.

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Adam,

What I would do is get some Ammonia and feed the tank daily. My tank 75 gallon requires 1 cap full every day. This way if you decide to buy more fish you are ready to go or if you need to QT you have a tank that was sterile which is cycled...

Don Trinko
04-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Similar to above; 1/2 teaspoon of pure ammonia 3 times a week (29 g tank). If i plan on putting fish in the tank I wait two days and check for ammonia before adding fish. Don T.

shawnhu
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Fish food, dead shrimp, or pure ammonia will keep the bacteria thriving. Check PH periodically to make sure it does not crash, and you'll be fine.

Roxanne
04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
...wouldn't two running filters, in this case to canisters, on one 46g show tank be overkill and possibly create too much current? I just thought I would keep the QT dry and drain 50% water from my show tank when needed and transfer some of the media into the dry canister...in kind of a shock cycle method. Will this work?
-Adam

Yes Adam, that will work...just watch for a nitrite spike when you do the transfer and don't transfer dirty water with it.......if you are medicating the qt with occupants, you will be doing regular wc anyway...and if you are worried about current, make one canister's input higher than the other..unless they have super duper high flow rates, 4000l/h or something, that would be too much...

Roxanne