PDA

View Full Version : disappointment with heaters

kirkp
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Either I'm terribly unlucky or I'm doing something really wrong. I just bought 6 250w Ebo heaters, 4 for my 180 and 2 for my 75. They're in the basement where the temp is about 68 deg. I set one of them at 82 and put it in the 75 to see how much trouble it would have bringing the tank up to temp. The tank started at 84 and gradually dropped to 78. I upped the heater to 84 and it didn't change the tank temp. funny thing is that the heater wasn't staying on but it would come on for a bit then shut off. So far I've had the same result with 4 of the heaters. One I could figure that the heater was faulty but 4 of them??? It's not that the knob you pull out to adjust the temp wasn't pushed back in. Anyone have any thoughts?

Kirk

MSD
04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
The only heater I found that can keep my tank warm enough and hasn't failed on me is the Eheim Ebo Jagers. Bear in mind none of the heaters on the market today are totally reliable, sad fact of the hobby.

Eddie
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
All my Eheim's are perfect. The actual dial reading may not always hold true but once you get it set to a certain temp, regardless of the dial setting, they do not budge.

Eddie

guille2007
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I think the old visitherm crystal one is the best, even better than the lately stealth version which has a very poor, fragile temp control.

Eddie
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I think the old visitherm crystal one is the best, even better than the lately stealth version which has a very poor, fragile temp control.

My old crystal visitherms lasted about a year. My Eheims have been going for 5+ years, not one breakdown.

Eddie

seanyuki
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I have given up on those Marineland Stealth heaters not so reliable...I am switching to the Rena Smart Heaters>unbreakable>light indicator and so far so good....still using the Ebo heaters in some tanks......what a long heater:confused:

Cheers
Francis:)

guille2007
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
My old crystal visitherms lasted about a year. My Eheims have been going for 5+ years, not one breakdown.

Eddie

The problem they have is the crystal fragility and sudden temp changing, they should be disconnect while WC, if you know that no problem with them, the temp control is excelent, sorry it lasted you so short it can run so more.

FLGirl1977
04-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I used to use the Jager heaters, but switched to the hydor inline heaters and I won't ever go back! They are fantastic and distribute/evenly heat the water more efficiently IMO... :)

guille2007
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I have given up on those Marineland Stealth heaters not so reliable...I am switching to the Rena Smart Heaters>unbreakable>light indicator and so far so good....still using the Ebo heaters in some tanks......what a long heater:confused:

Cheers
Francis:)

The stealth are a disaster, very fragile temp control.

Jhhnn
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Ebos aren't properly calibrated- it's a glaring QC issue, but one that can be dealt with.

If the heater is going on and off, cycling, at, say, 78 degrees actual water temp, unplug the heater, pull up the button on the top w/ some pliers, set the indicator to 78, push the button back down rather firmly, dial in the temp you want. Plug it back into the mains, of course, see what happens.

It's easier done than described. My new Ebos were calibrated 6 degrees fahrenheit too low, and I had to twiddle them twice to get it just right, but they seem to be right on afterwards...

thebigone
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I have 2 Theo 400 watt heaters in my 150 and I can't complain a bit. They keep my tank at 86 degrees. HTH

Eddie
04-08-2009, 08:42 PM
The problem they have is the crystal fragility and sudden temp changing, they should be disconnect while WC, if you know that no problem with them, the temp control is excelent, sorry it lasted you so short it can run so more.

Thanks for the lesson in proper heater care while performing water changes. LOL

rwong2k
04-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I've had a lot of success with the hydor inline heaters, being dead accurate, only problem i've heard about these heaters are you have to be careful as some of them leak.

I've recently purchased a temp. controller from jehmco and testing it on my tank with 2 heaters and it seems to be working quite well, worth the $75 investment for my discus

Raymond

guille2007
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the lesson in proper heater care while performing water changes. LOL

I am not here to do lessons to anyone, I just try to help in this case based on my background since I am electrical enginneer so I know a little about electrical devices and not only simple applications like an electrical heater with thermostat could be, the main problem with inmmersed heaters is water leaking and the second is the quality of temp control and by the way I still don't know what exactly you mean with your continued LOL while reply to me( you did the same in the other threat) so be clear and that way I could understand and reply properly even being english not my first language.

RAVEN
04-08-2009, 11:39 PM
I've had a lot of success with the hydor inline heaters, being dead accurate, only problem i've heard about these heaters are you have to be careful as some of them leak.

I've recently purchased a temp. controller from jehmco and testing it on my tank with 2 heaters and it seems to be working quite well, worth the $75 investment for my discus

Raymond

Like the man says, then your heaters will switch on and of at the same time and that important when running more than one heater.

kirkp
04-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is the button in the top of the Ebo Jagers simply to keep the dial from turning or do they keep water out of the heater or both? I'm a little concerned about submerging them since it has the level indicator on it that says don't submerge past that point? Do any of you fully submerse your Ebos?

Kirk

rickztahone
04-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. Is the button in the top of the Ebo Jagers simply to keep the dial from turning or do they keep water out of the heater or both? I'm a little concerned about submerging them since it has the level indicator on it that says don't submerge past that point? Do any of you fully submerse your Ebos?

Kirk

all of them are submersible and the only reason that disclaimer is there was because they hadn't gotten some sort of approval so they legally couldn't say they were submersible. as far as the knob goes i think Eddie dealt with said problem not so long ago. i think all you have to do is recalibrate them, if not then you should talk to the manufacturer

Eddie
04-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I am not here to do lessons to anyone, I just try to help in this case based on my background since I am electrical enginneer so I know a little about electrical devices and not only simple applications like an electrical heater with thermostat could be, the main problem with inmmersed heaters is water leaking and the second is the quality of temp control and by the way I still don't know what exactly you mean with your continued LOL while reply to me( you did the same in the other threat) so be clear and that way I could understand and reply properly even being english not my first language.

LOL means Laughing Out Loud! LOL

It was very generous of you to provide that advice, thanks

Eddie

Patr1ck
04-09-2009, 05:27 AM
The heaters that I have used have, in the Spring and Fall when the ambient temp is changing from cold to hot and vice versa, are alittle cooler than where they are set at @ 3-4 degrees. When Winter gets here they go back up to where they are set at. When summer gets here they go up above where they are set at because the ambient temp is warmer than where I set them at. Maybe its a desert thing. idk. I think that when the ambient temp is cold it makes the heater work to keep the tank temp up, but when the ambient temp is closer to the heater thermostat temp it causes the thermostat to act erratic as if its confused what to do. Sorry if I confused everybody. Im not on drugs I promise(lol), this really happens in 3 different tanks. Maybe give your heaters a bit to see what they do in the warmer months ahead.

Pat

KDodds
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Pat, it sounds like you have equipment, besides the heaters, that are adding heat to the tank. As summer approaches and humidity increases, along with ambient temperatures, your tank's base temp will rise (naturally if ambient temp does) as well as lose evaporative cooling ability (in higher humidity). It could be that your heaters are barely running in the summer and you're seeing a natural base temp OR it could be that they're innacurate (higher than the dial setting) and not keeping up in the winter (they'll still shut off as localized temp around the heater rises). One of those two seems the most likely reason.

On Ebos... :P I've not a single one left that's working and they're all I used for some 20 years. Maybe about 6 or 8 years ago they started getting really shoddy, failing on, or off, frequently. I use now VisiTherm or Rena brands. When Ebo Jager was considered "the best" the RenaCal heaters were always a "close second" and only so because of the Ebo brand name reliability.

guille2007
04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
LOL means Laughing Out Loud! LOL

It was very generous of you to provide that advice, thanks

Eddie

No problem, you are welcome

poconogal
04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
When I tried a 250W in my 75, it would NOT heat the tank past 80. My tank is in my living room and at night the temp in the winter goes down to 65, and during the day while at work its also 65. I use a 300W Hydor Inline now and my temp is rock steady. Been using it for the last 2-1/2 years.

kirkp
04-09-2009, 04:09 PM
poconogal, you are able to heat the tank with one inline heater? That's pretty good. My problem is that I don't have a cannister filter for the 75. I was going to call about sending them back today. Last night, I turned one of the heater up to its max, about 92 deg. It came on for about 5 min or so then shut off. The tank was only at 80 and the heater was right in the flow path of my HOB. Just not happy with these and while I know I could recalibrate (and hope that's the issue), I shouldn't have to after spending $140.

Kirk

Patr1ck
04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Pat, it sounds like you have equipment, besides the heaters, that are adding heat to the tank. As summer approaches and humidity increases, along with ambient temperatures, your tank's base temp will rise (naturally if ambient temp does) as well as lose evaporative cooling ability (in higher humidity). It could be that your heaters are barely running in the summer and you're seeing a natural base temp OR it could be that they're innacurate (higher than the dial setting) and not keeping up in the winter (they'll still shut off as localized temp around the heater rises). One of those two seems the most likely reason.

On Ebos... :P I've not a single one left that's working and they're all I used for some 20 years. Maybe about 6 or 8 years ago they started getting really shoddy, failing on, or off, frequently. I use now VisiTherm or Rena brands. When Ebo Jager was considered "the best" the RenaCal heaters were always a "close second" and only so because of the Ebo brand name reliability.

Definately, the tank is higher in the summer(than the thermostat setting) because the ambient temp around the tank is hotter than the tank. It gets 118 degrees sometimes outside in the Summer here which means inside is still pretty hot too. It does this with only 64 watts of lighting on a 90 gallon, so I dont think its an equiment issue. I guess what im saying is that the thermostats on the heaters are more sensitive if the ambient temp stays around where the thermostat is set at as opposed to having to work to keep the temp up in the winter, in which case the temp setting is equal to the tank temp. Have you ever noticed that when playing with a thermostat for your house if you move it back and forth across the ambient temp to cycle it from off to on it doesnt come on at the same point on the dial as when you can make it go off. I think that something along those lines is what is happening with the heaters. I hope it makes more sense this time.

Pat

poconogal
04-09-2009, 04:30 PM
poconogal, you are able to heat the tank with one inline heater? That's pretty good. My problem is that I don't have a cannister filter for the 75. I was going to call about sending them back today. Last night, I turned one of the heater up to its max, about 92 deg. It came on for about 5 min or so then shut off. The tank was only at 80 and the heater was right in the flow path of my HOB. Just not happy with these and while I know I could recalibrate (and hope that's the issue), I shouldn't have to after spending $140.

Kirk
Kirk, I agree with you, you should not have to be fiddling around with those heaters after spending that money. They should work, unfortunately nothing's changed much in the world of heaters over the years. Same old complaint. You can try a controller, which worked great -- that's what I used before I got the canister and the inline. (Oh, yes, I use just one 300W inline and it heats perfectly. I have a spare just in case it wears out).

Eddie
04-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Kirk

Hi there Kirk, the button is for recal. If you are having problems with any of your Eheim jagers, recal it and it will work. Let me know if you need any help.

Eddie

Jhhnn
04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Ebos are commonly run completely submerged. My new blue ebos have the *minimum* submersion depth clearly marked- it's a mistake to not submerge them at least that far.

Temp controllers won't help if the heater turns itself off prior to attaining the desired setpoint. You want the heater itself set a few degrees above that point, with the controller doing the on/off chores. That way, the heater acts as an overtemp safety in the event that the controller's temp sensor accidentally comes out of the tank or if anything else goes wrong.

Capiche?

poconogal
04-09-2009, 11:08 PM
When using a controller you want the heater set at its maximum setting, and you then set the controller to your desired temp and allow it to do the work instead of the heater's thermostat doing the work. A controller will work with a heater that keeps shutting off because the controller has taken over the job of the thermostat in the heater. I used controllers for 15 years with heaters that would not maintain tank temps because of this. The controllers corrected the problem, as long as the heater was sufficient wattage for the tank size and the ambient room temperature was not too cool. The controllers I used also had built in safety shut-offs at 95 degrees. I am still using the original Otto Computherm heater with controller that I bought in 1993 right now on a QT.

kirkp
04-09-2009, 11:27 PM
First off I want to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions, help, etc. Second, I'm going to swallow my pride and admit to being old, stupid, whatever. Last night I sent a email to Eheim to ask them what was up. They responded tonight and set me instructions on how to recalibrate the heaters. It turns out that in my haste to get them installed, I didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I understood the instructions to say that you pulled the knob out to set the temp then pushed it back in when done. Honest, I'm not really such a putz but I sure feel stupid now.

Hey Al, if I come up with a new user name, can you transfer over my number of posts so that I don't start over again?

Kirk

Oh, by the way, I was going to attach the document that they sent me which is much more clear than the one that came with the heater. Unfortunately it's a pdf and is not supported. If you're interested let me know and I can email it to you.

rickztahone
04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
First off I want to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions, help, etc. Second, I'm going to swallow my pride and admit to being old, stupid, whatever. Last night I sent a email to Eheim to ask them what was up. They responded tonight and set me instructions on how to recalibrate the heaters. It turns out that in my haste to get them installed, I didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I understood the instructions to say that you pulled the knob out to set the temp then pushed it back in when done. Honest, I'm not really such a putz but I sure feel stupid now.

Hey Al, if I come up with a new user name, can you transfer over my number of posts so that I don't start over again?

Kirk

Oh, by the way, I was going to attach the document that they sent me which is much more clear than the one that came with the heater. Unfortunately it's a pdf and is not supported. If you're interested let me know and I can email it to you.

at least it all worked out Kirk

poconogal
04-10-2009, 07:37 AM
That's good news, Kirk. Please let us know if the heaters now work properly. :)

Eddie
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
That's good news, Kirk. Please let us know if the heaters now work properly. :)

They should and if not, they have 3 year warranty. ;)

Eddie

Don Trinko
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I have been buying the stelth by marineland. I have had some fail (typicaly wont get up to previous temp) but they have replaced them with no charge and no return of old heater.
Previously I was using theo. Some failed and most eventualy got water inside. Don T.

kirkp
04-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Went down this morning to feed everyone breakfast and things are looking pretty good. The 75 is holding temp and maybe creeping up a bit. One heater cycles regularly but it's the one most affected by the HOB filter current. The one in the other corner doesn't come on as much but I figure that might (hope) be due to less current to disperse the heat. I'll recalibrate them after work tonight. Installed the other 4 in the 180. Unheated water was at 68 or so and this morning it was at 80. This tank is a Oceanic that's drilled in the corners for a wet dry. I closed off the bulkheads and then split the discharge from a cannister filter and have the flow going to each of the overflow chambers. Stuck 2 heaters in each corner with the cannister intake in the middle of the tank. Seems to be working pretty good and can't see the filters.

Kirk

Eddie
04-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Went down this morning to feed everyone breakfast and things are looking pretty good. The 75 is holding temp and maybe creeping up a bit. One heater cycles regularly but it's the one most affected by the HOB filter current. The one in the other corner doesn't come on as much but I figure that might (hope) be due to less current to disperse the heat. I'll recalibrate them after work tonight. Installed the other 4 in the 180. Unheated water was at 68 or so and this morning it was at 80. This tank is a Oceanic that's drilled in the corners for a wet dry. I closed off the bulkheads and then split the discharge from a cannister filter and have the flow going to each of the overflow chambers. Stuck 2 heaters in each corner with the cannister intake in the middle of the tank. Seems to be working pretty good and can't see the filters.

Kirk

Great news Kirk.

Eddie

razputin88
04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
I've just bought two 500 watt Blueline titanium heaters with the controller. Anyone have any experience with these? The controller makes it really easy to control the temperature of the water. The display shows your presets and the actual temp of the water. I'll have to let you know how they work once I get them setup.