PDA

View Full Version : Discus keep getting scraped up and hurt! HELP!

CammieTime
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
So I moved my six 3" fish to a 75 gallon tank...everyone is happy but now I am discovering that every few days one of them will be really scraped up on one side, with some scales missing. It's like they scraped against something very sharp, but the only thing in the tank that is sharp is the a big piece of driftwood, and it's not that sharp!

Is this normal??? It didn't happen when I had them in a smaller tank, but now they are all getting banged up and I cannot for the life of me figure out why!

They don't spook when I do water changes, so that's not it.

Eddie
04-08-2009, 09:09 PM
So I moved my six 3" fish to a 75 gallon tank...everyone is happy but now I am discovering that every few days one of them will be really scraped up on one side, with some scales missing. It's like they scraped against something very sharp, but the only thing in the tank that is sharp is the a big piece of driftwood, and it's not that sharp!

Is this normal??? It didn't happen when I had them in a smaller tank, but now they are all getting banged up and I cannot for the life of me figure out why!

They don't spook when I do water changes, so that's not it.

Any tankmates like plecos?

Eddie

DiscusOnly
04-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I find that when discus get move from one tank to another, it takes a while for them to adjust. My discus experience similiar problem when I move them from the basement to my tank upstair at the entrance way. After a few weeks, they swim normally and less "panic" episodes.

Tankmakes is another issue as well. I just have a major problem with 2 Amazon puffer attaching my discus. Their fins now look like a Betta.

poconogal
04-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Like others said, its takes awhile for them to adjust. Could also be other types of tankmates causing them to spook. Also, have you checked your water parameters? If something happens to be off in your water they will get skittish and spook. That driftwood, even though you don't think is sharp, is most likely what's causing the scrapes. Discus feel soft like velvet, and get easily scraped.

Don Trinko
04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Mine on rare occasions get scraped also. The scales come off prety easy so things do not have to be sharp for this to happen. Typicaly the scrape will heal without medication in several day to a week. In most cases it will not leave any scar. Don T.