PDA

View Full Version : KH, GH & PH PROBLEM

patrick richard
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I am having a situation here that I could use alittle help with. My water coming out of the tap has a (PH-7.3, GH-3dh, KH-4dh). By this I can tell that I have soft water. All of my tanks have a(PH-8.0 & 8.6) (GH-3dh) (KH-4dh). When I aerate my 300gal storage tank the ph rises to 8.5. I have also been not aerating the storage tank, and just treating the water in it. these are the peramiters of all of my water except for the breeders. they use a tap/RO mix. My question is, Is the KH of my water to low? Is this the reason that when I do my water changes the water bounces up to a PH 8.5. I have been changing 50% of my water daily. I am trying to get my water down in the mid 7's. I could sure use some help.

Thanks,
Patrick

KDodds
04-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Have you tested the source water for phosphates? Both before and after aeration?

Don Trinko
04-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Tap water will normaly go up in ph as the disolved gasses come out. KH of 4 should be OK but a little higher might help stabalize the ph. I wouldn't want it any lower.
PH stability is the main thing. All of my tanks are lower ph than the tap. I have 1 planted tank and it is lower yet. ( no co2 or fertilizers). Don T.

patrick richard
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks Don,

What can I do to keep my PH from shooting up into the mid 8 range? If I add crushed coarl into the filters, would this help buffer the water? This should keep it more stable.

thanks,
Patrick

Graham
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Crushed coral won't help a thing at those pH ranges,It won't dissolve at all...... in fact a higher KH isn't going to help. KH buffers against acids, you don't have any acids. Upping KH stabilizes pH from dropping

As has been mentioned check with the water company and see how much phosphate is being added.....it can push pH up and not register on a KH test kit

patrick richard
04-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone,
I will have to contact the water company this week.

Patrick