PDA

View Full Version : Measurement issue

Richy44
04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Hello,

I am going to mix up some Metro food to have on hand and need clarification on a measurement issue. I read that 1/4 tsp. is approx 500mg. Can someone verify that this is fairly accurate?

Here is another quote for measurement???
There is no direct conversion from mg to teaspoon. Approximately 4000 milligrams equal one level tsp. So 10 MG=0.0025 teaspoon. By this way 1/8 teaspoon would be equal to 500 MG and 1/16 tsp=250 MG

Can this measurement be used for all powdered meds?

Thanks

Rick..

MotorCityAquatics
04-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Here is another quote for measurement???
There is no direct conversion from mg to teaspoon.

Rick..

That quote is true.

Grams are weight measurements and teaspoons are volume measurements. Obviously there can be no conversion charts as different substances weigh more by volume than others.

You'll need to have a specific conversion for your meds, either that or a good scale.

Be careful not to be confused by the fact that in U.S. measurements there are ounces for weight and fluid ounces for volumes.

Here is a useful chart for dosing fish, although I don't think it can help you with this problem:
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/conversion_charts.html

shawnhu
04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I feel and share your pain. I've gone through this recently myself, and it took some time to figure out an estimate for how much metro to use, and how to measure it.

Although I have my log at home, here's what I used, based on memory.

Jehmco Metro powder - 100 grams
1/4 Teaspoon
San Fran Brand Beefheart - 100 gram package
Knox Gelatine

According to the dosage of 1% Metro to food, 33 grams of food will require .3 grams of powder(300mg). 10 cubes of Beef Heart was 33 grams. I used 1/2 of a 1/4teaspoon, making it 1/8 teaspoon. Reason why I say 1/2 of a 1/4 is because I didn't have a 1/8teaspoon on hand, and measured out 1/4, then split that in 1/2. That was close enough to 300g as I could get.

I then used Knox Gelatin to bind the meds to the food, and let chill. For the amount of food, I used 1/8 of a bag, each box contains 4 bags.

To answer your question, not all powders weight the same, as some will be more fine, and some less. The finer the powder, the more it fills into the spaces in between, and each type of powder will weigh different according to it's chemical composition. Just like how gold will weight more than silver.

I hope this helps.