PDA

View Full Version : concerns with new filter

Palue
04-10-2009, 01:13 AM
I have had my new filter fluval 305 just about 3 weeks now. In the baskets I have 3 charcoal bags, 3 of the other compartments have the biomax balls. I have replaced the charcoal bags since the start of this filter but I still have a film on the water surface.

The fish are not breathing hard, they are not at the top of the tank for air. My ammonia reads O I do regular water changes.

The outflow is just below the water line pointing up so I get good movement from the outflow. The water is on full out put as well.

I have noticed this happening since I started to feed Omega One Flakes, I don't know if it is the flakes themselves or what the heck it could be. Anyone have any ideas??

:confused::confused:

Eddie
04-10-2009, 01:33 AM
I have had my new filter fluval 305 just about 3 weeks now. In the baskets I have 3 charcoal bags, 3 of the other compartments have the biomax balls. I have replaced the charcoal bags since the start of this filter but I still have a film on the water surface.

The fish are not breathing hard, they are not at the top of the tank for air. My ammonia reads O I do regular water changes.

The outflow is just below the water line pointing up so I get good movement from the outflow. The water is on full out put as well.

I have noticed this happening since I started to feed Omega One Flakes, I don't know if it is the flakes themselves or what the heck it could be. Anyone have any ideas??

:confused::confused:

Yup, stop feeding Omega, do a big WC and start feeding a better flake. ;)

Eddie

Palue
04-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Got to love Eddie, he is always the first to respond....;)

I have the Prime Reef on order, If I feed the Nutrafin Tropical Flake I don't get this. Do you think it could be the food Eddie that is doing this??

What I will do is not feed the Omega One for a week and see if this goes away.

Good thing we have a pond, the goldfish will love it, they eat anything.

:angel:

Eddie
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM

I have the Prime Reef on order, If I feed the Nutrafin Tropical Flake I don't get this. Do you think it could be the food Eddie that is doing this??

Well, that is always one way to get rid of it. ;)

Eddie

rickztahone
04-11-2009, 03:01 AM

i feed the omega one flakes and have never had a problem with them at all. i feed that flake about twice a week though so maybe not enough?

Scribbles
04-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I've never had that problem with Omega One either Could you be over feeding?

Chris

Palue
04-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I only put in the amount of flakes they will catch and eat before they hit the bottom.

But.....I have a few plants Anubias that I am trying to get to attach to driftwood, I am using elastic bands for this would they be emitting anything??

It does not seem to bother the fish at all but I just worry as I don't like the look of it.

Roxanne
04-12-2009, 02:52 AM
the rubber bands will break down over time...use fishing line instead...

also, have you noticed any type of "grease" on the canisters head when you had/have it apart? The part where it seals onto the canister?

Roxanne

Palue
04-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I wiped everything down when I took it out of the box, the only thing that I did not was the seal that sits on the outside lip that they have packaged to keep it moist, you also have to keep vaseline on it so it does not crack to prevent leakage, so i don't know what else there could be.

When I get up in the morning there is none of this on the surface, right after feeding its there. I feed flake, frozen brine, mysis. Hard to pin point anyone thing for sure.

It does not affect the fish though but it bothers me.

:balloon:

Eddie
04-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I wiped everything down when I took it out of the box, the only thing that I did not was the seal that sits on the outside lip that they have packaged to keep it moist, you also have to keep vaseline on it so it does not crack to prevent leakage, so i don't know what else there could be.

When I get up in the morning there is none of this on the surface, right after feeding its there. I feed flake, frozen brine, mysis. Hard to pin point anyone thing for sure.

It does not affect the fish though but it bothers me.

:balloon:

If it bothers you that bad Debbie, maybe get a surface skimmer. :confused:

Try to use totally different foods maybe.

Eddie