PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle - Time required for ammonia to appear

ilaizm
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I am using dead shrimps to produce the ammonia required for the filters to do a fishless cycle. How long does it take to be able to test the water for ammonia levels?

Eddie
04-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I am using dead shrimps to produce the ammonia required for the filters to do a fishless cycle. How long does it take to be able to test the water for ammonia levels?

That would depend on the water volume. If you are using shrimp to cycle a 30 gallon, it will be much different from a 125. I've never used shrimp before but I'd say a week or 2 by just guessing. :o

Eddie

jerbear
04-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I just finished doing a fishless cycle about a month ago.. I used ammonia that I purchased at my local store that way I could control the PPM.. Please keep in mind that this is not fast process.. It still took over 5 weeks to cycle the tankess..:mad::mad: Your patience will be tested!!

Please read the below article if you have any question on how to do a fishless cycle.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Cow_Fishless_Cycle.html

Jerry

kaceyo
04-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd suggest removing the shrimp and using clear ammonia instead. The problem with using dead animals as a source for ammonia is that they also grow all manner of nasty bacteria and fungus that I wouldn't want in my tank.
Also, as Jerry said, you can control the amount of ammonia to get the best results.

Kacey

ilaizm
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Did as you suggested and removed the shrimps cos I wasn't too convinced with the idea myself. Now the problem is to find clear ammonia!

Roxanne
04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
bet your house smells good:D....if you can't get ammonia, use flake before you use a shrimp..

where do you live?

Rox

silent_thunder
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
bet your house smells good:D....if you can't get ammonia, use flake before you use a shrimp..

where do you live?

Rox

Shrimp stink LOL I know cuz I fish with them...

I looked for the right kinda amonia today...I will look at a few more stores tomorrow...

Lets say I cant find in....are you saying add fish flakes? If so how much/often..as well as any water changes?

Thx

kaceyo
04-12-2009, 09:04 PM
You can find clear ammonia at many grocery stores, Fred Meyers etc. It's the kind used for houshold cleaning and comes in a gallon jug. Just make sure there aren't any additives like scents, foaming agents etc. They usualy say "clear ammonia" somewhere on the label.

Kacey

ilaizm
04-13-2009, 02:19 AM
I live in Malta - Not sure i'll manage to find but today i'll go look for it!

I'd also be interested to know how often to add flakes and whether or not to make water changes.

nickmcmechan
04-13-2009, 03:24 AM
yep, think your issue will be finding suitable ammonia, there's a lot used on the continent for cleaning, but would guess it contains surfacants and therefore not suitable

i once used the prawn method, wife nearly chucked me out!!! :D

it took about 3 days for ammonia to appear and you have to remove the shrimop when it goes furry, which is about after 7 days, i.e. you have to have a new one in every 3 to 4 days to keep the ammonia going

its best to put them in a fine mesh filter bag as the waste does tend to spread over the tank and not easy to clean

its an effective cycling method but not the easiest!

kaceyo
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I live in Malta - Not sure i'll manage to find but today i'll go look for it!

I'd also be interested to know how often to add flakes and whether or not to make water changes.

It's just regular cleaning ammonia and shouldn't smell like flowers or pine etc, or have anything else added to it.
Using an ammonia test kit, add enough to bring the reading up to 4 or 5ppm ammonia. Use the link in Jerry's post and read through the thread. It should answer all your questions about fishless cycling.

Kacey

silent_thunder
04-13-2009, 10:06 PM
yep, think your issue will be finding suitable ammonia, there's a lot used on the continent for cleaning, but would guess it contains surfacants and therefore not suitable

i once used the prawn method, wife nearly chucked me out!!! :D

it took about 3 days for ammonia to appear and you have to remove the shrimop when it goes furry, which is about after 7 days, i.e. you have to have a new one in every 3 to 4 days to keep the ammonia going

its best to put them in a fine mesh filter bag as the waste does tend to spread over the tank and not easy to clean

its an effective cycling method but not the easiest!

UNBELIEVABLE...I cannot finr pure amonia in hickstown...I am soooooooo ready to go back to the vity so I have a few questions please...

Throw a dead stinky shrimp in a mesh bag and change it ever so often...

I got that part and can do that!

However...I don`t know what ya`ll are talking about when the amonia...spikes.

WHats that mean?

Then what!

Thanks alot

D