PDA

View Full Version : Is this Bacterial infection or stress?

thang45
04-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Can anyone please tell me if this is a bacterial infection or because of stress? If this is a bacterial infection then what med can I use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Roxanne
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi:)

For those of us with the crappy eyesight, can you answer a few questions?

1. Close up, are they little balls joined together, on top of each other, or side by side, or long "things" stuck on the fish at one end...any fuzz?

2. How long has "it" been there?

3. Does it move around or is stationary?

3. What temp is your tank at?

4. Nice fish BTW

Looks like parasite not bacteria.....unless someone jumps in soon, I can't see it properly... can you descibe it better & then stay tuned...:)

Roxanne

thang45
04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi:)

For those of us with the crappy eyesight, can you answer a few questions?

1. Close up, are they little balls joined together, on top of each other, or side by side, or long "things" stuck on the fish at one end...any fuzz?

2. How long has "it" been there?

3. Does it move around or is stationary?

3. What temp is your tank at?

4. Nice fish BTW

Looks like parasite not bacteria.....unless someone jumps in soon, I can't see it properly... can you descibe it better & then stay tuned...:)

Roxanne

Hi Roxanne,

I will answers you questions in order.

1. To me it looks like it is odd shape that are attached to his skin side by side.
2. I noticed it yesterday. BTW, they are spawning for the first time. They got 12 fry that is not bad.
3. Move around when there is food, or else stay with the fry.
4. 84 F

Thank you for the comment about the fish. I got the pair from Bob Garside in Barrie. They are fun to watch.

Roxanne
04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
do they look like a round shape that has been squashed flat a bit at the top and bottom?

If so I think it's ICH considering the temp and it's growth rate, but I know little about medicating with fry present, so you will need to wait for someone who knows better than me to advise you about that....don't worry, you won't have to wait long;)

Rox

Ed13
04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
They are spawning and it is their first time,and you noticed it yesterday, could these be just scrapes? "Battle scars" if you will;)

Eddie
04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Do the spots look a little cottony? It looks like it from the picture.

I myself would salt dip that fish. I'd do a super good cleaning in the tank they in now, do a 30 min salt dip in a bucket (I use a 2 gallon clear plastic aquarium) and put him back the current tank.

Thats just me though. ;)

Eddie

Graham
04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
How about the pores in their epidermis along the lateral line are slightly infected. I've seen Orandas that get fungal infections or protein secretions in their wens that look very similar to this...I would not treat this at this point

If you think you have to do something thing, do an iodine swab

Eddie
04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
How about the pores in their epidermis along the lateral line are slightly infected. I've seen Orandas that get fungal infections or protein secretions in their wens that look very similar to this...I would not treat this at this point

Iodine swab sounds good. I have this stuff called bio-bandage that works wonders on stuff like this.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/hikari-bio-bandage.html

Eddie

hedut
04-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow nice fish.That happen to my fish and I use PP for half day with very light pink will be gone the next day.

thang45
04-13-2009, 12:41 AM
do they look like a round shape that has been squashed flat a bit at the top and bottom?

If so I think it's ICH considering the temp and it's growth rate, but I know little about medicating with fry present, so you will need to wait for someone who knows better than me to advise you about that....don't worry, you won't have to wait long;)

Rox

Hi Rox,

I know for sure it is not ick. It happened before I think and disappeared within two days with WC.

They are spawning and it is their first time,and you noticed it yesterday, could these be just scrapes? "Battle scars" if you will;)

Battles scars, I wish :). No I think it is something else.

Do the spots look a little cottony? It looks like it from the picture.

I myself would salt dip that fish. I'd do a super good cleaning in the tank they in now, do a 30 min salt dip in a bucket (I use a 2 gallon clear plastic aquarium) and put him back the current tank.

Thats just me though. ;)

Eddie

Yes, it does look like cottony. I think salt at this point will not do much.

I saw a few spots before and with couple of WC it went away. Maybe I should do more WC and wait. But if it comes back again what do I do?

Wow nice fish.That happen to my fish and I use PP for half day with very light pink will be gone the next day.

PP is a good idea but I really don’t want to kill the fry. If couple of WC doesn’t help, then I might try PP, but would PP get rid of bacterial infection?

Eddie
04-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Here you go buddy, but I'd use a salt dip (very effective IME) and then roll into Formalin and Malachite Green combo.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/skin_disorders.html

Eddie

Stormy
04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi there, sorry to see your fish is having problems, especially with fry in the tank.
It looks like an Altum Flora, nice fish and congrats on the spawn. I have two Altums that also came from Bob. My male developed something similar a while back, I did a salt bath first, then a week of massive water changes and it went away, never to return. Besides all the great advice you have already received here, I would give Bob a call and send him the photos. He would be more than happy to help you in any way he can. He has given me solid advice on fish I didn't even buy from him. He even called me long distance and refused when I tried to send him some compensation for the phone call. Very classy man.

thang45
04-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Here you go buddy, but I'd use a salt dip (very effective IME) and then roll into Formalin and Malachite Green combo.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/skin_disorders.html

Eddie

Thanks for the tips. But today when I check on him, the spots went away and I didn't do anything.

This is weird, this is the second it appeared and then disappeared.

Hi there, sorry to see your fish is having problems, especially with fry in the tank.
It looks like an Altum Flora, nice fish and congrats on the spawn. I have two Altums that also came from Bob. My male developed something similar a while back, I did a salt bath first, then a week of massive water changes and it went away, never to return. Besides all the great advice you have already received here, I would give Bob a call and send him the photos. He would be more than happy to help you in any way he can. He has given me solid advice on fish I didn't even buy from him. He even called me long distance and refused when I tried to send him some compensation for the phone call. Very classy man.

Yes, it is an Altum Flora. I should give him a call.

You are correct when you said he is classy man. He is very nice and always there for me when I needed him.

thang45
04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't know what is going on but if this happen again then I will try the salt bath or PP. If anyone has similar problem please share it with me.

Thank you

Eddie
04-14-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't know what is going on but if this happen again then I will try the salt bath or PP. If anyone has similar problem please share it with me.

Thank you

Definitely keep an eye on it. From the pictures, doesn't look like something I want any of my fish living with.

Eddie

thang45
04-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Definitely keep an eye on it. From the pictures, doesn't look like something I want any of my fish living with.

Eddie

I agree. Well this is the first spawn for these two and today the fry are free swimmers and the pair doesn’t know what to do.

I guess by tomorrow if they don't attach then this batch will die. I have removed the cone so the fry can see the parents.