PDA

View Full Version : question about blackworms..

MRQuad
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
guys, i am getting a 1lb of blackworms this weekend.. i am planning to breed the half while the other half for feeding.. that way, i will not be out of worms (i think) in the long run..

my question is, how do i breed them? what are the steps? sorry for all the questions, if you knew the link where i can make use of, please post it here.. :D

thanks for reading guys!

marvin

Harriett
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Marvin,
We used to have an active member here [AKA Polar Bear] who is a friend of mine and he was quite successful in keeping a little breeding tank of california blackworms going. He set up a 10g tank with either a little power jet or a good bubbler and put in a bit of methylene blue the tank was in his fishroom in his basement--temp down there was maybe 66. He occasionally changed the water but mostly topped it off and he feed them a little high quality flake.
I think that was it.
I tried the same thing but upstairs in my house-maybe it was too warm--they turned to mush pretty quick.
Hope this helps
Harriett

poconogal
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Harriett, I forgot about Larry and the blackworms. Now I remember though, he said it was actually very easy breeding them. I have a big batch of them now so maybe I'll try it and see how it works out for me, err.. for my Discus!

allan_mark76
04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Google???

~AKA~

Harriett
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Harriett, I forgot about Larry and the blackworms. Now I remember though, he said it was actually very easy breeding them. I have a big batch of them now so maybe I'll try it and see how it works out for me, err.. for my Discus!

Connie!
My suggestion would be to start with 25-33% of what you ordered so if it doens't work you won't have lost too much? Keep that tank coolish!
Best regards,
H

MRQuad
04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
thanks for all of your input guys.. appreciate it very much!