PDA

View Full Version : Ich

Sterno
04-15-2009, 04:34 AM
what is best treatment for ich i have treated with parasite clear and copper sulphate and the ich remains and im pretty shure its ich is there something better ???

Graham
04-15-2009, 05:11 AM
a

Eddie
04-15-2009, 06:24 AM
a good water chnage and then use a med with formalin and malachite green in it; like Quick Cure.

Follow dosing instructions exactly and do a water chnage between each dose...needless to say no carbon in the filter

Quick Cure for sure, it will be gone in 2 days, easy.

Eddie

gotfish?
04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
umm...i though ich dont survive in temp we keep our discus in?

Roxanne
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Temp & ph affects the parasites reproductive rate. At higher temps, ich reproduces faster which is why it isn't a good idea to go cranking up heat for no good reason...As a detached parasite they can live without a host for up to 48 hours. An acid environment is not favourable & at a ph of less than 5.5, they don't grow at all..fish kept in acid water are rarely affected by ich....if there is no sand substrate and a pump produces a strong enough current, the detached parasites cannot continue to develop and the infection ceases after some time...

Sterno
04-17-2009, 04:09 AM
thank you all for the reply :)

Sterno
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
is there another illness that looks like ich ?its not going away :(

Eddie
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
You used Quick Cure and it remained? Is the tank barebottom?

Eddie

poconogal
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
You used Quick Cure and it remained? Is the tank barebottom?

Eddie
I second that! Its still there? Can you post some pictures of your fish?

Sterno
04-18-2009, 09:21 PM
i will try and get pics of it and no its not a barebottom
this the best pic i can get notice the tail fin

Eddie
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
i will try and get pics of it and no its not a barebottom

Did you start out using Quick Cure by first doing a big water change and then dosing?

Eddie

Sterno
04-18-2009, 09:59 PM
another pic no i started with parasite clear then copper sulphat then quick cure with water changes of course

Graham
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
poof

Eddie
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
That is not ick..lets get a close clear pic

Agree, can't see anything. I can kind of see something on the tail in the first picture but not clear.

Eddie

Sterno
04-18-2009, 11:20 PM
another he is not cooperating with the camera

Eddie
04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
That doesn't look like ich to me. Looks more related to water quality and in the first couple of pictures, there seems to be a white hair like substance growing on your plants.

My suggestion would be to, do a super good wipe down of everything in the tank and perform big water changes everyday for a week or two. Looks to me like your tank and fish need some TLC.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter and what kind of filter do you have? What are your water parameters, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Eddie

Sterno
04-19-2009, 12:11 AM
ya thats not hair its just a really old cloth plant that has got a little frazzled thanks for your help will work on tank and my water change has been real recent
my filter is a power filter cleaned a couple days ago i clean it frequently its an aquaclear

Eddie
04-19-2009, 12:56 AM
ya thats not hair its just a really old cloth plant that has got a little frazzled thanks for your help will work on tank and my water change has been real recent
my filter is a power filter cleaned a couple days ago i clean it frequently its an aquaclear

Oh okay, thought the plant looked strange.

You don't need to clean your filters that often. Its good to have a prefilter on your AC and just rinse that daily but actually breaking down the filter and cleaning it, does not need to be that often.

Wiping the tank down and upping the water changes will hopefully get everything back on track.

Best of luck,

Eddie

ShinShin
04-19-2009, 02:33 AM
That is certainly not ich. In all my years of keeping discus, I have never seen a case of ich in my tanks and I suspect the vast majority of reported ich cases here on the forum are not ich. In any case, good clean water and FMG should take care of ich, as well as what you are seeing.

Mat

Sterno
04-19-2009, 03:01 AM
thank you for all your help guys :)

Sterno
04-19-2009, 03:43 AM
could it be a fungus ? what do i treat it with if it is ?

Eddie
04-19-2009, 08:50 AM
could it be a fungus ? what do i treat it with if it is ?

If you used Quick Cure, it should have knocked out any fungus (depends what type).

Another option is to give the fish a salt dip. Connie (poconogal) just posted instructions on doing a salt dip. But as she mentioned, it is best to return the fish to a super clean tank or even a new set-up. The dip can make the fish very vulnerable to anything that may try to attack it.

Eddie

poconogal
04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
How often do you vaccuum your gravel, and is it very thorough?

Sterno
04-20-2009, 03:00 AM
i vacume once a week

Sterno
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
a few water changes cleared it right up :)