PDA

View Full Version : How to raise dKH while lowering PH

KuPoB_K
04-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering if there is a way to raise the carbonate hardnes while lowering PH of the water in my tank. I have a planted tank with the following measures of PH, dGH and dKH:
PH - 7.4
dKH -1
dGH -4
I would like to lower the PH to about to about 6.5 whine bump up the kH to about 4-5. I think i should also mention that my seem very stable with no drops or raises in any of the parameters above.
Any help is much appreciated.

cheers
Yan

GrillMaster
04-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Lower the PH with C02 and raise the KH with baking soda.

Give this a read.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/waterchem.htm

KuPoB_K
04-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks Mark,
Just to make sure baking soda is sodium bicarbonate right?
Won't this raise my PH was well? I don't have CO2 system so if you have any other suggestions for lowering PH i would appreciate it. I remember trying vinegar :D on one of my guppy tanks before and it seemed to work. Is this be ok for Discus?

thanks
Yan

poconogal
04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
You could raise the KH and leave your PH alone, at 7.4 its fine. You can use crushed coral in your filter to raise your KH. Not sure how much, you'd have to experiment to see how much to use, and how much effect it has on your KH. Or I'm sure others experienced with its use will drop by and can give you a better idea. BUT, all in all, if your PH is stable, stability is the MOST important thing and it seems that your water is being buffered by something other than calcium CARBONATE. If in ain't broke, don't fix it! The less mucking around with your water, the better.

I've been told my water is buffered by magnesium and my PH ranges 7.6 to 8.0, depending on the season (on my private well). I use my water straight from the tap, I do 50% WCs so as not to impact tank PH, and my Discus are totally fine with it.

nickmcmechan
04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
agree with poconogal

Graham
04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
actually calcium or magnesium can't buffer water they move the GH not the KH...they would have to be calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate

Crushed Coral/calcium carbonate would give some buffering in lower pH water.

Yan...... baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and has a pH of 8.4. Vinegar shouldn't be used to lower pH it's a lousy acid and using acids of any kind to lower pH is playing with fire

poconogal
04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes Graham, I left the "carbonate" off when typing ;) I was told my water was buffered by magnesium but I know what you mean, about the carbonate and the calcium carbonate as well. :D

As far as crushed coral buffering in low PH, it should buffer in higher PH as well. Consider that in SW tanks use of crushed coral or even crushed oyster shells, etc. as substrate, is used for buffering...

KuPoB_K
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you all for your replies guys.
So if i understood corectly crushed coral will raise kH but will not change pH. Also, will the coral have any effects on dH or will only affect kH?
Thank you once again

cheers
Yan

Graham
04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Crushed coral which is calcium carbonate is capable of moving pH GH and KH depending on the initial pH of the water.

They are are interrelated ................Buffering chemistry:bandana:

KuPoB_K
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you for all the replies guys. I guess i'll just add some crushed coral to my canister and see how it does.

cheers
Yan