PDA

View Full Version : Prazi-Pro & WC?

rickztahone
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM
i'm going to start with a prazi-pro treatment tomorrow in my community tank and was wondering if it's ok to still do WC's everyday? you just adminster the prazi-pro once a week correct? any help is much appreciated, i'm following the dosage on the bottle but i have not read anything in regards to WC during the treatment. thanks in advance

Eddie
04-16-2009, 12:14 AM
If you do WCs, just dose for the entire amount of the tank again. Thats why Prazi gets expensive. :o

Eddie

rickztahone
04-16-2009, 01:31 AM
If you do WCs, just dose for the entire amount of the tank again. Thats why Prazi gets expensive. :o

Eddie

so i do daily WC's? i thought you just do the one dosage every 7 days? :confused:please elaborate

csarkar001
04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Eddie:

How effective has prazipro been for you?

After 12 hours of use, my fish are still scratching near their gills. Does it need more time to kick in?

thanks,
chandan

Eddie
04-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Eddie:

How effective has prazipro been for you?

After 12 hours of use, my fish are still scratching near their gills. Does it need more time to kick in?

thanks,
chandan

Hi there Chandan, I found Prazi to be ineffective on flukes on my fish. It worked initially but they came back strong and I hit them with another med that was rough on them. They have been doing well since then, no scratching, flashing or one gill function on any of the fish.

I used a med called Anti-Fluke Life Bearer. Its a hard one to work out and my bio got nuked so I had to re-cycle my filters but nothing that couldn't be fixed with 100% WCs everyday. LOL

Eddie

csarkar001
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
if this doze of prazi does not work, i may try formalin next. but i hate to use that nuclear weapon.

Eddie
04-16-2009, 09:26 AM
if this doze of prazi does not work, i may try formalin next. but i hate to use that nuclear weapon.

Formalin is not that bad at all, I think formalin is like a breath mint compared to Anti-Fluke. The chemical in AF Life Bearer is called Trichlorfon and it is a pesticide. :(

Eddie

Don Trinko
04-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I have used formalin one many different fish including discus. There has never been a bad reaction from the fish. I have heard that it can effect the bio filter so check the ammonia and nitrites regularly. Don T.

csarkar001
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
DT and Eddie:

which do you think would be better with Formalin: treat in tank with one drop per gallon for 8 hours and then big WC or pull out the fish one at a time and give them a concentrated dip in a separate container?

if the latter, what dosage?

ricardo, i apologize for hijacking your thread on prazipro. lol

chandan

poconogal
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Rick, for flukes I'd dose at least every 3rd day. Some dose daily, following a specific dosing amount and schedule. I believe dosing has been posted on SD by Paul (pcbs23 or something like that) but that may also be for straight Prazi. Personally, I've had results initially with Prazi Pro, while dosing every 3 days, but down the line the flukes seemed to return. When I used Prazi Pro recently it had no effect, yet all symptoms seem to point to flukes. I'm about to try Quick Cure (fmg) to see if that helps, but at 1/2 the dose due to Tetras etc. the tank.

Peachtree Discus
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
i have had some success with prazi-pro. i did a huge wc and redosed only on day 5 for 4-5 weeks and have not seen flukes since.

ShinShin
04-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Prazi maintains it's dosage in water, therefore, when doing a water change, replace the amount of prazi to the amount of water being changed.

rickztahone
04-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Rick, for flukes I'd dose at least every 3rd day. Some dose daily, following a specific dosing amount and schedule. I believe dosing has been posted on SD by Paul (pcbs23 or something like that) but that may also be for straight Prazi. Personally, I've had results initially with Prazi Pro, while dosing every 3 days, but down the line the flukes seemed to return. When I used Prazi Pro recently it had no effect, yet all symptoms seem to point to flukes. I'm about to try Quick Cure (fmg) to see if that helps, but at 1/2 the dose due to Tetras etc. the tank.

i have had some success with prazi-pro. i did a huge wc and redosed only on day 5 for 4-5 weeks and have not seen flukes since.

Prazi maintains it's dosage in water, therefore, when doing a water change, replace the amount of prazi to the amount of water being changed.

thanks, these are all answers i was looking for although there are some conflictions. but i will probably do the 3rd day WC and i have only 40g in there so i will do a 20g WC but should i do it daily and replace the one teaspoon of prazi-pro? the thing is i do not want to go 3 days without a WC because they are in only 40g of water and there's a heavy load. thanks again

Eddie
04-16-2009, 06:21 PM
When doing WCs, I always dose for the full amount again. PraziPro is super easy on the fish and the Flukes have been more resistant over years. The dosage is not enough nowadays. I have read on other forums where someone had to dose at 4X the dosage to effect the flukes. They were using a scope throughout the whole process.

I'd use a different med altogether if you do not have any success with the recommended dosage on the bottle.

Eddie

poconogal
04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I just tried 1-1/2 times the dosage listed on the bottle, to no avail...

rickztahone
04-16-2009, 11:57 PM
When doing WCs, I always dose for the full amount again. PraziPro is super easy on the fish and the Flukes have been more resistant over years. The dosage is not enough nowadays. I have read on other forums where someone had to dose at 4X the dosage to effect the flukes. They were using a scope throughout the whole process.

I'd use a different med altogether if you do not have any success with the recommended dosage on the bottle.

Eddie

see the only thing i'm having a hard time grasping is this...and bear with me... If i dose today (which i did) and i do a 50% WC tomorrow and add prazi-pro again to treat the new water then isn't that like dosing? what difference would it make if i took the recommended dosing schedule of say 3 days if each day i'm doing a WC i'm replacing the dosage? isn't the 3rd day just going to be that?...a WC with prazi-pro to treat the new water? in essence there is no such thing as re-dosing because everyday i would be doing so. if that is hard to follow i'm with you but i'm just trying to get over this brain fart due to this dosage. or do any of you recommend going the 3 days without a WC and then doing a 50% WC and adding prazi-pro then? plz help :confused:

Eddie
04-17-2009, 12:38 AM
see the only thing i'm having a hard time grasping is this...and bear with me... If i dose today (which i did) and i do a 50% WC tomorrow and add prazi-pro again to treat the new water then isn't that like dosing? what difference would it make if i took the recommended dosing schedule of say 3 days if each day i'm doing a WC i'm replacing the dosage? isn't the 3rd day just going to be that?...a WC with prazi-pro to treat the new water? in essence there is no such thing as re-dosing because everyday i would be doing so. if that is hard to follow i'm with you but i'm just trying to get over this brain fart due to this dosage. or do any of you recommend going the 3 days without a WC and then doing a 50% WC and adding prazi-pro then? plz help :confused:

You can do it either way, as Mat said, Prazi does not dissipate out of the water. If you change 50%, you can just add back what you took out. I always re-dosed for the entire amount. Really depends on how much water you change as to how much you need to Prazi you need to replace. ;)

Don't worry Ricardo, you cannot overdose PraziPro. You probably dump the whole bottle in (dont do it) and see little to no reaction from the fish. It is not hard on the fish at all.

Eddie

Eddie

rickztahone
04-17-2009, 03:08 AM
You can do it either way, as Mat said, Prazi does not dissipate out of the water. If you change 50%, you can just add back what you took out. I always re-dosed for the entire amount. Really depends on how much water you change as to how much you need to Prazi you need to replace. ;)

Don't worry Ricardo, you cannot overdose PraziPro. You probably dump the whole bottle in (dont do it) and see little to no reaction from the fish. It is not hard on the fish at all.

Eddie

Eddie

cool, i just really hate medicating and if i have to i like to get it down to a T before i start treatment.

poconogal
04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
I dose, wait till the 3rd day, do 50% WC and redose the full dose. Last time I dosed 1-1/2 times the amount. I don't think 3 days without a WC is going to kill them. Others dose daily, despite what it says on the bottle, with WCs daily and redosing the full amount.

rickztahone
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I dose, wait till the 3rd day, do 50% WC and redose the full dose. Last time I dosed 1-1/2 times the amount. I don't think 3 days without a WC is going to kill them. Others dose daily, despite what it says on the bottle, with WCs daily and redosing the full amount.

thanks Connie, that is what i shall do. so you dose every 3rd day for how many total dosages and how many total days?

poconogal
04-17-2009, 02:58 PM
I've done the first dose and two additional doses, each after 3 days and then I gave up on Prazi Pro. Saw no change so I figure to try something else. Mine may not have flukes... and I have no scope, and I don't think I want to look at yucky things under a scope, either... well, maybe one day...

Others follow a 21 day doseing regime. Here's something by Paul pcsb23:
The reason why, when treating for flukes - not worms, that the extended treatment period is necessary is because of the life cycle of the fluke. Prazi will not kill fluke eggs, we must wait for these to hatch before we can get them. And we must get them before they lay their eggs too! The whole process usually takes between 10 and 14 days.

I have used this method on my fish and never had any issues, and yes I did use prazipro, no shock to the fish and no loss of appetite.
Also:

I still do w/c and replace the amount taken out. But I don't dose as per the bottle either. I use the prescribed amount, ie 1 fluid ounce for 120US gallons, but I dose 2 or 3 days on and 1 day off for at least three repetitions if I'm dosing for flukes.
I seem to remember that recently Paul posted the schedule for a 21 day treatment, but I couldn't find it. You can always PM him, he's one of the best for disease/treament.

calihawker
04-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi there Chandan, I found Prazi to be ineffective on flukes on my fish. It worked initially but they came back strong and I hit them with another med that was rough on them. They have been doing well since then, no scratching, flashing or one gill function on any of the fish.

I used a med called Anti-Fluke Life Bearer. Its a hard one to work out and my bio got nuked so I had to re-cycle my filters but nothing that couldn't be fixed with 100% WCs everyday. LOL

Eddie

Hey Eddie, It's been over a month since I did the PP treatment. How long should I be worried that flukes may return?

Steve

Eddie
04-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey Eddie, It's been over a month since I did the PP treatment. How long should I be worried that flukes may return?

Steve

Hi there Steve, unless you have added any new fish, if your fish don't show any symptoms, the flukes may never return. ;)

Eddie

ShinShin
04-17-2009, 08:38 PM
If you can't get rid of flukes, try FlukeTabs, Clout, or another similar product. Why waste all that money on something like PraziPro that appears to be ineffective? They will stress the fish for a few days, but it will pass quickly. I've used FlukeTabs on 2-3 week old fry, full dosage, with no ill effects. Don't be scared off by someone's unsubstantiated tales. If you have tetras, BN's or other scaleless catfish, do not use.

Mat

Daniella
04-24-2009, 03:47 PM
For me Prazipro (praziquantal) has been really hard on my fish appetite, so the way I do it is to treat for 2 to 3 days then do a big water change and do not put medication until another 4 to 5 days.

That way they get a break from the medicine and don't get stomach upset so much. All the adults flukes are dead after 2 to 3 days and so it only leave the eggs wich will take a few days to hatch. Those new flukes will not be able to reproduce before another 10 days, so dosing for 3 days, take a 5 days break, dose again for another 3 days, another 5 days break and one last treatment, was much easier on my fish.

The first time I used prazi, I used it for 7 days, replacing the medication for the new water volume and one of my fish stopped eating for a good 2 weeks after the treatment.

with the break between treatment, the fish are resuming normal eating and often are not even affected by the med.

I see no point in keeping the treatment for a full 7 days and 7 days is probably not enough length anyway. 3 days, 5 days break, 3 days, 5 days break and 3 days give you a much longer treatment course.

so i do daily WC's? i thought you just do the one dosage every 7 days? :confused:please elaborate

Daniella
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
yeuuuu...that does not sound good at all.

I am wondering what to do with the filters? If someone does not want to nuke a tank, would it not be better to treat the fish in a QT and then let the flukes starve? if you leave your fish in a QT for let say 3 weeks? would they not all be dead from the lack of food?

that would not damage the biofilter. In a QT, one can do water change everyday so not having a biofilter is not so critical.

Formalin is not that bad at all, I think formalin is like a breath mint compared to Anti-Fluke. The chemical in AF Life Bearer is called Trichlorfon and it is a pesticide. :(

Eddie

Daniella
04-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I read this:

http://www.nbponds.com/medication/fluketabs.html

"Do not use on tropical fish from the Amazon River. Discuses are particularly sensitive. There is significant toxicity of the Carbamates to certain fish, most notably Discus and Catfish, who may be affected adversely."

If you can't get rid of flukes, try FlukeTabs, Clout, or another similar product. Why waste all that money on something like PraziPro that appears to be ineffective? They will stress the fish for a few days, but it will pass quickly. I've used FlukeTabs on 2-3 week old fry, full dosage, with no ill effects. Don't be scared off by someone's unsubstantiated tales. If you have tetras, BN's or other scaleless catfish, do not use.

Mat

Eddie
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Fluke tabs are used all the time with Discus. The chemical Trichlorfon is in several very effective medications for flukes. I use Anti-Fluke Life Bearer that has the exact same chemical and it's great. This stuff nukes your bio-filter though.

Eddie

tech
03-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Fluke tabs are used all the time with Discus. The chemical Trichlorfon is in several very effective medications for flukes. I use Anti-Fluke Life Bearer that has the exact same chemical and it's great. This stuff nukes your bio-filter though.

Eddie

Eddie, I had a question ? Where is the best place to purchase this Anti-Fluke Life Bearer and Kaymacin medication. (i think that how it spelled)
Thanks ! :)

Vince

Eddie
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Eddie, I had a question ? Where is the best place to purchase this Anti-Fluke Life Bearer and Kaymacin medication. (i think that how it spelled)
Thanks ! :)

Vince

Hey Vince, you can get Kanamycin from Elite Aquaria (Dan) and I'll do a history check to see where I sourced my last order of Anti-Fluke.

Eddie

tech
03-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey Vince, you can get Kanamycin from Elite Aquaria (Dan) and I'll do a history check to see where I sourced my last order of Anti-Fluke.

Eddie

Eddie, thanks for the info !

Vince

Eddie
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Eddie, thanks for the info !

Vince

Sorry I took so long! Here's the link for Anti-Fluke life bearer.

http://www.westcoastpetsupply.com/2/Life-Bearer/

Eddie