PDA

View Full Version : Help --- Sick Discus

swong
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

I need advise on treating my sick discus.
I have 11 6" red melon in a 150 gallon tank filter by a 30 gallon wet/dry filter.
PH is around 6.5 with a TDS 70ppm (I mix 70/30 RO/tap water).

3 days ago, I found they were not eating as much as before but I did not see any visible disease so I did not do anything. The next day I found they breath rapidly, a few of them has some sort of cottony/white slim on their body and fin are clamped. They still show a little interest on the food.
I went thru different possible medications for treatment and found Furan-2 (Nitrofurazone and furazolidone) would be my best bet. Which indicate can treat both gem possitive and negative beatera, body slim, gill fluke, fin rot etc ........ Looks to me this should be good for treatment. I introduced it and dosed the 2nd time last night (Full course is 4 doses in 4 days). This morning (after 2 dose), I don't see any improvment at all. Although the visible disease doesn't seem getting worst, they are more "inactive".

I need the expert here to advise me if I am possibly using the wrong medication...... or I need more dose to see visible improvment......

Thanks in advance.....

Wong

pcsb23
04-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi Wong,

Furan 2 is quite an effective med. From your description though I would think it is an external parasite of some sort. Even if it is the Furan 2 may have some effect so I would complete the course. If the fish do not show signs of recovery a few days after the course has been completed I would consider using PP or F&MG (Potassium Permanganate or Formalin & Malachite Green).