PDA

View Full Version : How do I soften my water....

silent_thunder
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Its at GH ppm 300...

Am sick of buying RO water every few days....

THanks for the help...

I can tell you this...without your peoples help...the sick discus I had a few weeks ago would have died on me...He is better I am HaPpY!

Daniel

poconogal
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I know there's a water softener pillow that used to be sold, by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, I think. I never used it though so I don't know how well it works or if they even sell it anymore (I think they do).

calihawker
04-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Its at GH ppm 300...

Am sick of buying RO water every few days....

THanks for the help...

I can tell you this...without your peoples help...the sick discus I had a few weeks ago would have died on me...He is better I am HaPpY!

Daniel

I second your comment on this community Daniel :)

Is buying an ro unit not in the budget? Maybe you can find a used one and replace the cartridges?

Steve

Graham
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Are you trying to breed them? If not, then just use your water

silent_thunder
04-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Are you trying to breed them? If not, then just use your water

I am thinking I can use my own watefr by just adding prime...it appears that way.

That being said, yes...I have a pair I want to breed as soon as the male is well enough to put back with his honey...

I think that was mistake number one the first go around...water to hard.

Can I use strictly RO water and add prime to soften it? I am so clueless...duh!

Thanks Graham...

Graham
04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I am thinking I can use my own watefr by just adding prime...it appears that way.

That being said, yes...I have a pair I want to breed as soon as the male is well enough to put back with his honey...

I think that was mistake number one the first go around...water to hard.

Can I use strictly RO water and add prime to soften it? I am so clueless...duh!

Thanks Graham...

Hi Daniel. Prime does not soften water...it is a de-chlorinator and ammonia binder. Fish cannot live in pure RO water...there's nothing left in water ( or shouldn't be) after it goes through an RO membrane...

Discus breed in harder water all the time...put then together and see what happens

silent_thunder
04-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi Daniel. Prime does not soften water...it is a de-chlorinator and ammonia binder. Fish cannot live in pure RO water...there's nothing left in water ( or shouldn't be) after it goes through an RO membrane...

Discus breed in harder water all the time...put then together and see what happens

I will give you my readings straight out of my tap water and see what you think...

At some point I have to have a shoulder surgery and carrying buckets will not be possible...I did buy a cleaning hose I can run to a facet...

Maybe my water is ok...

Will grab some readings tomorrow...

Thanks alot

Eddie
04-17-2009, 12:34 AM
You should invest in one of these. ;)

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~teosb1/python.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754886&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=1831196&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=C4C7D151-4519-DE11-B0EA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

Eddie

cyberhog05
04-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Daniel
I got this one and I am very happy with it. It is less than a 100 bucks and it can keep up with my 3x WC a week in my 180gal. The shipping was fast and it is so far a great unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-ppm-6st-Reverse-Osmosis-2-OUTPUT-RO-DI-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ120407132396QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20 756QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

silent_thunder
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
You should invest in one of these. ;)

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~teosb1/python.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754886&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=1831196&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=C4C7D151-4519-DE11-B0EA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

Eddie

I got one one clearence the other day for 25 bucks...a good buy On something for a change....

I guess you just get the water temp where you want it from the facet and start adding? put prime in first?

I think I should have bought the cowboy boots instead =L=

Of course the shoulder is my right one and being right handed well...it will be interesting...

Thaniks everyone!

Thank people

Eddie
04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I got one one clearence the other day for 25 bucks...a good buy On something for a change....

I guess you just get the water temp where you want it from the facet and start adding? put prime in first?

I think I should have bought the cowboy boots instead =L=

Of course the shoulder is my right one and being right handed well...it will be interesting...

Thaniks everyone!

Thank people

No no, not the boots. LOL

You are correct, adjust the temp first, add Prime to the tank first and then fill'er up.

Thats it!

Eddie

judy
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
on softening water: rather than usual chemical means, which can cause Ph to bounce right back up again and which can also cause phosphates to soar, you are better off running some peat in your filter, using driftwood in the tank, and, if you have plants, putting a DIY pop-bottle CO2 diffuser onto the tank. CO2 also lowers Ph very effectively.

silent_thunder
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Heres some readings after having an airstone as well as heater after 8 hours

Nitrate 0 ppm(mg/L)

Nitrite 0 ppm(mg/L)

Hardness 25 GH ppm

Alkalinity (KH) ppm 40

ph 7.2

These readings are better than when I add half tap and half RO...this does not sound right but I will check them tomorrow...

Oh...Prime was added...

What do you think, Graham...

D

Graham
04-17-2009, 06:14 PM
I think that you have excellant water...it ain't broke

discusjoe27
04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I have had luck with tetra black extract. it softs the water and take my ph down to 6.6-6.8, I've heard 50/50 on it. some discus people say it works some people says it doesn't.

Eddie
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I have had luck with tetra black extract. it softs the water and take my ph down to 6.6-6.8, I've heard 50/50 on it. some discus people say it works some people says it doesn't.

I'd save my money and get some more discus.

Eddie

nesser
04-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Mixing RO water could be a good idea,50% mix, 30%mix it depends what will work for youre personal goals.I used to buy RO jugs but after a while it just got ridiculus with water changes and I was like why am I doing this again?My GH was moderately hard and I wanted to lower my total dissolved solids just so I was providing the best health for my fish.I've heard softer/lowerTDS=better sucsess,but as far as I know it isn't proven.I dont think useing tannis in wood is a reliable source for lowering PH it wears off,and then what? after all the water will still be alkaline and the TDS are the same.Co2 in a planted may be useful in that you can controll youre ph with some accuracy.I use stored strait tap right know and its going great and my readings are similiar.I use a python to syphon the tank,then plug in a submersible pump thats in a storage barrel hooked to a 50' garden hose,then I refill the storage container useing the python mix in prime,and anything else you want in there,plug in the heater and air pump and repeat...and repeat!lugging jugs would be no fun with a hurt shoulder.

DLock3d
04-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey Daniel,

Is this the first time you've "aged" your water? If so from what I've learned aging water can sometimes have interesting affects on it. If you added half tap and half RO it may have kept things from going completely crazy so you may have been fortunate. What is your PH straight from the tap?

Heres some readings after having an airstone as well as heater after 8 hours

Nitrate 0 ppm(mg/L)

Nitrite 0 ppm(mg/L)

Hardness 25 GH ppm

Alkalinity (KH) ppm 40

ph 7.2

These readings are better than when I add half tap and half RO...this does not sound right but I will check them tomorrow...

Oh...Prime was added...

What do you think, Graham...

D