PDA

View Full Version : does hiding indicate sickness, or other causes?

robby ram
04-17-2009, 05:27 PM
One of my discus has been hiding and only come out to eat or when it is dark, especially when my blue moon light is on. I have bb tank with few driftwood.

does this mean he is getting sick? I don't see any white poop. Few days ago, I saw his bloated tummy and put him in epsom salt bath, and no more bloaty tummy.

Does this bath trigger him to be shy and hiding? I just do not want to rule out 'sick discus' again. I don't see any white poop yet, not totally dark, and when he comes out, I can see the color changes from somewhat dark to totally light vibrant color. I had the experience before with the new juvies, though, they are fine now.

robby ram
04-17-2009, 05:35 PM
The only reason I can think of why he was bloated because he has been eating my tetra. I literally saw him chasing and finally chewed few tetras. Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, I always end up finding dead tetra (its body totally torn apart) on the tank floor.

Eddie
04-17-2009, 06:42 PM
If discus have a place to hide, they will. How long have you had this fish? What other fish do you have in the tank? How many discus are in the tank?

To rule out nematodes, you could do a de-worming.

robby ram
04-17-2009, 06:58 PM
If discus have a place to hide, they will. How long have you had this fish? What other fish do you have in the tank? How many discus are in the tank?

To rule out nematodes, you could do a de-worming.

I had this one for about like 3 weeks. I hate when he is hiding. It worries me, while others are out eating or floating peacefully.

I have rummy nose and tetra, and one oto.

Eddie
04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
3 weeks is still new. To be honest, take out whatever he is hiding behind for a few weeks and then see what he does. When you feed, does the fish come to the front?

Eddie

jaykne
04-17-2009, 07:44 PM
As long as he is eating and not staying dark all the the time should be fine. I have my discus in a planted tank with lots of driftwood and the first month had one or two did the same thing till they got use to the tank. Also discus camouflage if the are near somthing dark they will turn darker, I have a black background on my tank if they get scared and get up against the back off the tank some off them can almost blend right in with is. Just give them a couple of weeks to get use to you.:)

jeremy calkin
04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
is this fish paired or pairing up may be cleaning ,when dark and hiding,getting ready to spawn

robby ram
04-18-2009, 04:03 AM
3 weeks is still new. To be honest, take out whatever he is hiding behind for a few weeks and then see what he does. When you feed, does the fish come to the front?

Eddie

he does when i am away. I gave him 3 days of Quick Cure when I first got him and quarantined him up till 3 weeks. Recently, I saw him got bloated and after the epsom bath, he is hiding a lot more than he used to. He only turns dark around driftwood, however, turn lighter when he comes out to the bare area which i call the loading dock where the food is dropped.

robby ram
04-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Also discus camouflage if the are near somthing dark they will turn darker

I notice that. Around the bare area where the bottom is painted white, he looks brighter and colorful. When he hides under the driftwood, he seems darker.

I have become a bit paranoid because I had the experience where my discus got all dark all the time. So, every time I see, if my discus turns a bit dark... i would be like... here we go again!@ what could i possibly do wrong?@!

robby ram
04-18-2009, 04:11 AM
is this fish paired or pairing up may be cleaning ,when dark and hiding,getting ready to spawn

I had a pair spawned before and they have been doing this ever since i got them. but, always end up eating their eggs. I don;t intend to breed them and if they do, that would be nice. I ve seen them dancing and turning dark for a bit, but this particular discus is shy as hell.